The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: PA DCNR winter report  (Read 1558 times)

Offline taby24

• IceShanty Rookie
PA DCNR winter report
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:29 PM »
I used the PA dcnr site a few years ago before finding this group. Figured I would put it out there as a secondary check on ice reports.   http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/winter-report/
Good luck and be safe

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: PA DCNR winter report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Thanks for posting this, it will be very helpful to many members I'm sure.

Offline Gonefission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:49 AM »
Thanks for the good info!!

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:26 AM »
I've noticed those state park Winter reports are typically way under-reported. Sometimes by a few inches. As I'm sure others here on Iceshanty have noticed.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I have seen some members on both sides of the ruler too

Offline icemagnet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2017, 04:27 PM »
thank you for the info.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Good info. Many years ago park rangers at Arthur asked me to leave because they felt the ice was unsafe.It's was 4.25 clear hard ice,I left not wanting trouble and being 19 years old.I was the only person on. I don't know if they really can enforce it but playing on 2-3" badly deteriorated ice isn't the best ice. I realize the last two years have been skinny ice but it seems to me a lot of guys are fine on 2.5"-3" and the 4" of ice minimum is no longer needed. We sure need the good cold snap coming..Hopefully more lakes will lock up.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I also got run off the ice on Raccoon State Lake. By park ranger Bill Smith....with 5 in of ice was the only one ther  to boot I worked wit Bill. At J&L steel ....I knew him  well he said he was doing his job...was not cked yet so it was a no go...so what do yo do get a fine or. Go home...
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:53 PM »
I have to laugh at the report for Lackawanna State Park, it says ice thickness 2 inches then down below it says there's 0 to 3 inches of ice on the lake, and at the bottom it says the ice thickness isn't monitored.  Well I have to ask, which is it 2 inches, 0 to 3 inches, or they don't know since they don't monitor the ice thickness.   :unsure: :whistle: :unsure: :whistle: :unsure: :whistle:

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:30 PM »
One season a few years ago I was on Lake Jean late ice quite a bit, a park ranger came out one day and asked me how much ice, I showed him how I gauged it and pointed out the white crusty ice from the clear ice underneath.  He said next time you come up would you please give the park office your ice thickness reading.

So for the remainder of the season I was the ice gauge source for Lake jean.

I checked daily on their DCNR website to see if they had updated their information, unfortunately they did not, lol

Offline suskie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:49 AM »
I use this as a guide on which area might be safe to fish. Most of the local lakes aren't safe, 0 to 3 with standing water. Things look a little better farther north, in Wayne and Susq. counties. I look for a couple fat guys on the ice, and check the depth with my chisel.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.