New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Quiting Tip-ups  (Read 4618 times)

billybono

Re: Quiting Tip-ups
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:12 PM »
i agree... i pike fish, gills and perch and whatever else are just a bonus,to pass the time between flags. but if im not pike fishing(which isnt often) i dont waste my time with em

billybono

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I have to agree with Esox and Grumpy. The tip-ups definately have their place and their uses. I alway bring them. I just got my Vex today and I plan on taking my tip-ups on the next trip, no matter what I'm fishing for. I am basically fishing for whatever is biting that particular day. Like to be prepared. Little bummed out about not being able to fish tommarrow at Bonaparte. Was hoping to catch a nice laker.Well, talk later. But remember the thing that really got me into ice fishing was the excitement of watching the flag and running to see if it was taing out line and then wondering what it was before it gets to the hole. I dont want to do without that excitement, and I want to watch my grandkids running on the ice too. Jiging and constantly looking for that flag to fly. Nothing like it. Get the rush!! use tip-ups!!!!  thanks
              JK

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:59 PM »
I didn't say I was 50 years old Gambell.  Please don't make me older than I am!!  ;D
I was just trying to say how tip-up fishing has a way of bringing out the kid in someone.  Heck I'm probably about the same age as you.  Let's just say 30ish  ;D

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:35 PM »
well let me just say i aint giving up my heritage lakers for no jigging rod i catch far too many big fish on tip ups not to use em but if i want to catch me a nice lunch or dinner of pannies quick and in a hurry i will leave the tip ups home just my .02.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2006, 05:56 PM »
i would buy one or two of the circle tip-up made by frabill b/c there real easy to set up and the flag is real big and if u are fare away from your tip-up then bring binoculars.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I used to use the tip-ups to locate the fish, but now after using the vex I am using them less. Although I do like running for a flag.... especially if it is a jumbo perch on the end  ;)
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2006, 03:38 AM »
BillyBono..tipups for pike and walleyes only, at least for me.  I know about the lakers and browns, etc, but I use them for pike and eyes.  I can't see setting them for perch and I can't see much excitement of "setting the hook" on a "huge" perch on a tipup??

I take the jig poles along with me to fill in time between flags, some days (like a lot of time this year pike fishing), are slow and the jig pole is a way to avoid monotony by waiting for the flag to pop.  I do have one fairly stiff jigging rod I've started using almost every time I go fishing though, rigged with a leader and treble hook for pike.  It worked yesterday, had one bite me off, long story, though........

Maybe after March 15th I'll consider jigging, but until then....one 10 pound pike equals how many perch/gills/whatever else???????   Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:27 AM »
If everybody is so against tip-ups , well, I'm looking for some nice heritage lakers if you are selling. Pm me and I can get those dredded tip-ups out of your way so they aren't collecting dust or getting in the way, because I will use tip-ups no matter what I catch on my jigging rod, or see on my vex. Let me know, we can help each other, if you REALLY do want to get away from the tip-ups.
                                                                                                              Jeffrey

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2006, 10:07 AM »
 When I target big fish I dig out my tip ups (two or three times a year) the rest of the time I target panfish.And the tip ups stay home.And its faster to pick up your jigging rod after your cold and ready to go home.And you don't have to buy expensive bait.Plus you get to own plenty of pretty jigs. Just ask RG FIX IT he owns plenty so I'm told.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

crowkiller

« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:46 AM »
i use my tip ups to keep people from fishing to close.lots of times i dont even put any bait on them

hali-man

« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:52 AM »
i use my tip ups to keep people from fishing to close.lots of times i dont even put any bait on them

That is not a bad idea!  >:D

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Like that idea as well , kinda protective, but a kind word should work.
Big fish= flags
Smalll fish=tip downs.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:42 AM »
I like to use tip ups to attract the fish, when they go up then go jig next to the flag, I always drill 2 holes and put a tip up in one and then you can keep moving as the school moves, just follow the tip ups. 

I also like the keep people away idea.  It works somewhat.

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:26 PM »
New York state says that you can have 2 hand lines and 5 tip ups.  If you see me on the hard water that is exactly what I'll have in the water.  Chasing flags is way too much fun to ever think about giving it up, even when fishing perch. Most of the bigger ones come on the tip ups and having a jigging rod in your hand gets in the way of the 12 oz. curl.  Put the minnows on the jigging rods, set them on a slush pile, and sit back and wait for the fish to come to you.

How many fish do you need to catch to feel like a man anyhow?  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Bottom line is do whatever it is you enjoy the most, don't let anyone talk you into a bad time on the ice, if that is even possible.  :wacko:
Dave
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.