New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Quiting Tip-ups  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quiting Tip-ups
« on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I am slowly trying to quit using tip-ups , the last couple times out i have been only putting 3 or 4 out insteed of 5 because i am sick staying in one area , If i wanna move i have to take them all out then put them all back in when I get to my new location I'm getting sick of wasting fishing time . I usually catch my bigger fish on them, but I am starting to catch more and more on the jigging rod each time going out . the hardest part is not being able to look up and see the flags  :o maybe ill just put 1or 2 out  ;D. any of you strictly jigging guys have any tips for me ?
Sax

billybono

Re: Quiting Tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:48 PM »
well what do ya fish for?

billybono

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:12 PM »
Yes Give them away :) I strictly jig MY tip ups havent seen water in 2 or 3 yrs I am heading up to champlain for a week and have to borrow 10 more just so i can fish with the allowed 15 traps :) Pickeral and pike is about all I use them for anymore and I never fish for these species anymore WEll okay i will be fishing for pike with tipups on champlain.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

billybono

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:15 PM »
if i didnt fish pike, i would have no use for em...ill never understand people using them for perch  ::)

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the pike are not hitting..break out the bikes!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:51 AM »
Actually,I have caught some jumbo perch on tip-ups fishing for pike!

billybono

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:45 AM »
then your pike bait is way to small  ;) .  at least where i fish when the perch bite is on , there isnt any time to mess with setting traps

billybono

dwayne

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:21 AM »
if i didnt fish pike, i would have no use for em...ill never understand people using them for perch  ::)

I can totally understand why people do     ;D

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:27 AM »
I have one tip-up that I rarely use for the stated reason. They hinder mobility.
If you want the extra lines for smaller species use tip-downs. They're much faster.

Personally, I'd rather catch one fish on rod and reel than two on tips.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:56 AM »
Ive been ice fishin prolly 6 years now....started with only tipups and no poles and am evolving with a sleuth of rods ready to go and vex....I totally see why many guys stray from the tippers, i see it happening in my future...

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Hey fishingking what part of Champlain are you fishing? I'm going up that way in a couple of weeks (either south bay or TI) if you give us a report on ice conditions and how the fishing was that would be great. Thanks.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:46 AM »
Set the tip-ups and bring a good pair of binoculars with you ;) if you get a flag speed over on the wheeler or snowmobile!!

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:59 AM »
I'll help you out with this one  ;D  Just box up those tip-ups and send them to me! ;D

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:45 AM »
I fish for just about everyting , mostly lake trout around this time if we had any ice , but i do like using them for pike , I want to still use them in the derbys I enter .but Ive seen how productive jigging can be form some of you guys on this site . It more a challenge I guess kind of like bow-hunting to gun-hunting .
Sax

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:04 AM »
  They are ANCHORS and just slow you down from catching fish. 
That is the main reason why I want to stop using them . As for the walleyes I haven't got one jigging yet just on tip-ups , I'm headed out this evening for some walleyes Ill let you know how I did  ;D
Sax

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:08 AM »
One thing I like to do is spread out my tip-ups and rig them for perch.  It's a great way to find the school of perch or to pattern their movement.

Ranger :tipup:

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:14 AM »
One thing I like to do is spread out my tip-ups and rig them for perch.  It's a great way to find the school of perch or to pattern their movement.

Ranger :tipup:

great point....last spring when i was chasin the crappies around i set a long string of tippers...catch a fish then jig a few out of the hole...worked all afternoon and caught a pile of slabs. it was tough chasing them with just the rod on such a big piece of water.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:19 AM »
My biggest lakers came from tip-ups. I'll bring the binocs tomorrow ;).

Robb :tipup:

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:24 AM »
In all seriousness the guys that use tipups on Lake George for perch with medium minnows are often the only guys catching a bucket of big perch.  Some days the jumbos only seem to hit minnows and jigging just results in dink after dink so they do have a place, just not in my sled.  :D
I'm glad you said that Slip, ;D I was getting ready to ask you what size tippet and dry fly you were going to use this weekend for those lakers ;) ;D

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:37 AM »
I hope we get a biggie tomorrow.   :D  I'm making sure I've got the cammy for some pics of the battle and takedown of Robb's 15lber :flex:

Dude I can't wait!! I will not be able to sleep tonight! Then I'll get up at 4am and drive over two hours!! Bring those fat lakers on!!!! ;D ;D ;D

And maybe next weekend a day on the KING!

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:39 AM »
Your driving me nuts , Ive got nowhere to go to fish for lakers, im going crazy I cant wait any longer .
Sax

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Don't take too much of what I say in a serious vein when it comes to the usual topics of bass fishing, eating bass, and using tipups.   :D  I'm kind of a wiseguy ::)   I've got an arsenal of deadly laker jigs all ready to go at a moment's notice and we'll be hopefully laying a few togue on the ice tomorrow with the jig rod and my trusty vexilar.  ;) 
I figured that, thats why I gave you the jab ;D  I love to fish and will use whatever tool is available to me to make the most of a given situation ;) I will not dispute the rush of catching nice size fish on little rods like this-

from Wed.   ;D  I hope you guys knock em dead this weekend good luck!

Offline depthchargedriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when the wind is whipin the fishin's kickin
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:53 PM »
well I'm begingin to hate tip ups...it seems like when every i bring em out either I'm not in a good spot for pike or trout or they just dont bite on it... every year i bring em out with me and i dont even bother buying bait anymore just because I'm so discuraged with them....if anything i just use the dinks that i catch and have to walk about 50-100 yds in order to get anywhere where there will be some bigger fish to hook. and plus they make my bucket heavy..lol. they are the main reason my 5 dollar red torpedo sled keeps having a Daytona 500 wreck up. anyway i figured i would just make jigga feel a little better about not wanting to take tip ups out anymore.

depthcharge

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Do they have a patch or anything to help you quit?  That might help?  As your Doctor or pharmacist if the patch is right for you!

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Do they have a patch or anything to help you quit?  That might help?  As your Doctor or pharmacist if the patch is right for you!
:roflmao: :roflmao:
Sax

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Tip ups were around long before fancy jigging rods, vex's and Marcum's and the like, they'll be around long after that stuff all gone as well.  Nothing else needs to be said from my end....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline tomhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:24 PM »

For perch I use the Arctic warrior type tip up or tip down and am able to take them using jigging rod and reel with a real simple set-up.this is also my preferred method for waleyes. if the jigging gets hot pull the Arctic warriors and jig.

Tough to beat a niagara on a dead stick when the bite is slow. might be the difference between a meal and a sandwitch.

still have my tip-ups rigged for waleyes in case fishing partners need some but they spend most of the time collecting dust.

On the ice is on the ice ;D
just trying to whack a couple of walleyes

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Aaaah, jigging rods are just to kill time when waiting for flags ;D  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Seriously, there is something about the adrenaline rush when running to a flag and not knowing if he is on there or not.  With that said, it never ceases to amaze me how i can watch a 50 year old man running arse over tea kettle like a 5 year old child to chase a flag down. Just something about it.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Gumpy...I'll 2nd that thought....Esox....

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I agree but I'm half your age Gumpy2 so it is a little different.  The more rigs in the water the more chances of catching fish. 

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:54 PM »
That was an unthought of bonus when I bought my lakers a few years ago...that spring loaded flag popping up and watching it go, even from the corner of my eye I see many of my flags tripping, those old pieces of spring steel just go too fast unless you happen to be looking directly at it when she goes....

I've caught some big fish on my jig poles, but watching that rod jiggle isn't near as exciting as seeing a flag in the air.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.