Author Topic: Ice shack repair ideas.  (Read 846 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shack repair ideas.
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I acquired a free ice shack from a coworker, the shack is pretty old but in good condition. The style is like a flip over/suitcase combo. The sled is only a couple inches deep. It doesn't have any seats or bench. It flips over the top then is opened up similar to the suitcase....
Now that the style is somewhat figured out, I noticed that when it is set up, the part where the tarp meets with the sled is coming apart. The original manufacturer used rivets to join the tarp and sled. I would do the same, however I am worried that the tarp will tear if I poke more holes into it.
Does anyone have any ideas how to reattach the tarp to the sled that wouldn't damage it any more?

Offline SDFishnFriendly

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice shack repair ideas.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Landgills, you can make your own reinforcement around the rivet contact point.  I would take some thread (the heavier the better) and sew around (outside perimeter) of where the hole would be.  That will/should stop the fabric stitching from coming apart and fraying out.  You could even sew in a small patch of another material around where the new hold will be.  I would suggest and old piece of jeans or some canvas fabric.  I hope I explained it enough here.  For the sewing I would sew several lines over each other in a circle just larger than the hole you intend to punch. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.