New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: i got a beef with the dec.  (Read 6374 times)

Offline perchwisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
i got a beef with the dec.
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Why at lime lake is there boulders blocking the dec launch.I heard rumors that it was because locals complained they didnt want any big boats on the lake.Now with the boulders in place the only thing you can launch is a cartop or canoe.Now if you live on the lake you can apply for a membership to the private launch that cost 80dollars your first year 60 there after.There are alot of big boats on this lake even with the dec launch closed and the speed that they allow on that lake is rediculous.Now the dec stocks this lake and has to be open for fishing under that rule.Why should this lake only be open to residents to launch there boats?If you even wanted to pay the membership to get the key to the launch you cant because you have to be a resident and i dont think this is fair, the dec should stop stocking it or open up the launch its my tax dollars helping stock that lake!I should have the right to fish it!

-Perchwisher

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: i got a beef with the dec.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:13 PM »
by the sounds of it you do have a right with a car top or conoe I know it sucks you cant bring your 200 hp racing boat out there too fish but what are your going to do dynamite the boulders away
:)

OKay I would deffiently call up the local DEC office and complain to them and see what their story is.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:39 PM »
Why at lime lake is there boulders blocking the dec launch.I heard rumors that it was because locals complained they didnt want any big boats on the lake.Now with the boulders in place the only thing you can launch is a cartop or canoe.Now if you live on the lake you can apply for a membership to the private launch that cost 80dollars your first year 60 there after.There are alot of big boats on this lake even with the dec launch closed and the speed that they allow on that lake is rediculous.Now the dec stocks this lake and has to be open for fishing under that rule.Why should this lake only be open to residents to launch there boats?If you even wanted to pay the membership to get the key to the launch you cant because you have to be a resident and i dont think this is fair, the dec should stop stocking it or open up the launch its my tax dollars helping stock that lake!I should have the right to fish it!

-Perchwisher
I live on Cossayuna Lake and when I am fishing and getting buzzed by a flock of bass boats going 60 mph I feel they ought to limit the horsepower. Christ all fish hooks you can hear these things wind up only to have to shut the motor down because they have reached the end of the lake. Alot of them see you catching fish and they're right next to you. That's Ethics for ya

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:34 AM »
I know those boulders are a pain but somebody put them there for a reason. We should be glad we have this access site now for ice fishing. After ice out I don’t care what they do with the lake. I know it’s a little work launching a boat, but I have seen worst places and the fishing was much better then lime lake.

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:46 AM »
Whatever the situation is, it really sucks when you go to one of your regular spots and find out that your world has been changed for you.
But it is the life of an angler to live with great dissapointments, and a greater respect for the places he manages to keep the same throughout his fishing days.
I would call DEC and stand up for your rights as an outdoorsman >:( >:(
And if all fails, just take the up side that with the lack of fishing pressure and motorized travel on the lake, you might get something good out of it in the end ;)2 ;)2 .

Tight lines & pray for cold
Wellsy

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:15 AM »
a lot of times this happens due to concerns about parking. what is the parking situation there? is there room for a lot of trucks with trailers? is there room to maneuver a trailer? is there a decent bottom for launching? all these things have to be taken into account. ??? ??? ???
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

dwayne

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:43 AM »
I live on Cossayuna Lake and when I am fishing and getting buzzed by a flock of bass boats going 60 mph I feel they ought to limit the horsepower. Christ all fish hooks you can hear these things wind up only to have to shut the motor down because they have reached the end of the lake. Alot of them see you catching fish and they're right next to you. That's Ethics for ya

What he said....I am so tired of the a-holes in the nitro's flying by me in my 14 foot deep-v like I wasn't even there.  There are quite a few lakes that should have the restriction put on them.

Offline geckoinmypants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • YOU WANNA CATCH WHAT ?????
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:06 AM »
NYs regulations state the following....

No vessel shall be operated:

(N.Y.S. Regulations)

Within 100 feet of shore, dock, anchored vessel or swim area at more than 5 M.P.H.
          In an imprudent or unsafe manner.
          Whose operator is intoxicated or has his ability to operate impaired by alcohol or drugs.
          By a person under age of 18 who does not possess a boating safety certificate.
          With a child under age 12 on board that is not wearing a life jacket (P.F.D.) and who is not within a fully enclosed cabin.
          Without the required equipment.
          Without the navigation lights displayed at night or during times of poor visibility.
          Within 100 feet of a diving flag.

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:39 AM »
While their at it . lets get rid of the jet ski's too!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:46 AM »
What he said....I am so tired of the a-holes in the nitro's flying by me in my 14 foot deep-v like I wasn't even there.  There are quite a few lakes that should have the restriction put on them.
Man,
                  That used to tick me off SOOOOOOOOOO much !!!!
                   Before my surgery I fished from a 14' deep v Duranautic and even though it was sea worthy it would rock and roll when those bass boats would all race by. While anchored in a set back OFF the main channel I had a guy run over my slip bobs even though I was shouting to him to watch out for them. They saw me catching bass and man they were right in my hip pocket. >:(

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:00 AM »
True perch
If we stock it then we should be allowed to access it!
If restrictions are to be place on visitors than make it for everyone.
That lake is pounded with traffic during the summer, old slime gets packed!!!
Make the lake horspower restricted for everyone, I thinks the lakes only 35 acres?? gotta check the sanders.

Side note: How about the steelhead fishing?? We stock the fish and public access is restricted/ posted after recent state law changes. now there are plenty of sections of streams where guides have purchased exclusive fishing rights from homeowners.
They are making money from our investment!

I once loved flyfishing for steelies, It is a matter of time before every stream will have no access and public areas will be packed and debris filled.
All from a politician in the Salmon river area, keeping his chuck of the river guarded!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Much like we don't like having all icefishermen grouped into the same "lot", it isn't fair to do to the tournament guys either. I always respect areas where others are fishing.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:18 AM »
i as well have been stymied by those boulders at Lime...i contacted the DEC about 5 years ago about..seems the homeowners association around there is very strong, and united in their cause to keep outsiders with boats bigger than a cartop out..i was told that there really isnt much we can do...(but this was before i was on iceshanty!!!) that lake is so small...i agree,H.p. should be regulated for everyone on Lime!
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:47 AM »
     In PA all lakes that are a state park and others with a state park launch at them have a 10hp restriction no matter the size of the lake.  It sucks going slow to get where you want but the fishing is a lot better and your not getting bounced around and there are no jetskiers or waterskiers.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:35 AM »
I can remember Lime Lake when I was a kid. It was very private to the public. The boats back in those days were nothing like we have today. It developed to fast in the 80s and the community changed. Today the lake is over developed. The boats are to big and fast for the lake today. A boat 16’ is big enough for this lake and they should have a 10hp limit too. Parking is very limited at the dec site. Lime Lake was a very popular back in the old days.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Im a tad off subject here but along the same lines....Sounds kinda like the dec stocking pheasants in my area...now they stock these birds that we pay for through buying licenses and taxes and what not, then I have to go and ask permission from the landowner?!?!?!...and I get turned down because he says hes only letting family and freinds hunt??? then give me attitude and tell me he doesnt have to let anyone hunt his land...i rode around opening day of pheasant season around his block of land and saw a total of 5 trucks ON A 800 ACRE BLOCK!...now i called dec to report this farmer and i told them what he said to me, and thier response was he told them that he had already given permission to a more than fair amount of people and felt it was unsafe to allow anymore...now i know its his land an all but if these guys are participating in this bird release program and give it the ok they shouldnt be restrciting the people who pay for these birds...

I looked into getting a pheasant permit this year. On the website it states that the birds must be released into a public hunting area that must be approved by DEC. If it bothers you that much (and I can understand why) maybe you should contact DEC and discuss you issue with them. If nothing else they may be able to tell you other areas the birds are released and you may find a new spot you never knew about. Good Luck

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Same difference (bird-fish)/ lack of dec cooperation and little regulation in a overregulated state!
yeah these homeowner groups do have plenty of influence in local issues, but sometimes it needs to be looked at on a larger scale.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:33 PM »
So all in all whats the beef here. I see it this way, who thinks that all the landowners don't have rights too? the people who have cottages on Lime have a right to the same as everyone else. Sure its stocked with fish that were purchased and raised on a fraction of the money from the purchase of a license and such, but guess what the people who fish that lake have also spent money on licenses too. Whats so great about Lime lake? Its small has way to much boat traffic on a regular basis and has a few Walleyes and Tigers in it. So does many other NY waters. I have seen that launch if thats what you want to call it. Not more than enough room to park a few cars trucks with trailers thats for sure. No dock either so you would need waders or get wet your choice. The real choice is How much are you will to spend on a License to hunt and fish? Seems the people here in this state have to gripe about just about everything to do with outdoors but ask them to hand out more money for a license and they will gripe about that too. It takes money to run these programs out there and pay to the DEC officers too and these monies come from our licenses. What would you be willing to pay for a license 100.00, 200.00 or more for those privileges? Or should we go to a Rent to hunt or fish program? I live close enough to that lake to hit on a daily basis after work in the summer but does it bother me that I can't? No, not really. Does it bother me that a fraction of my license money goes to stocking that lake? No, not really! The way I look at it if I want to really fish that lake all year I would buy a cottage their. But for my money I can think of better lakes or bodies of water in this state to spend my money on as far as purchasing property. As much as we might want it we can not have our cake and eat it too.
Cold Feet

crowkiller

« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:49 PM »
lime pond !!! they should ban all gas powered rec equipment jut like new albion lake they are not big enough for power boats. just my opinion

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:15 PM »
I have to disagree with Cold_feet, the only people who have their cake and are eating too would be the cottage owners who live on the lake.  The don't want high volumes of traffic unless it's them driving oversized boats on a small lake.  Because of the nature of water, no one can legally "posses" this natural resource.  You can own all the land surrounding a body of water but due to evaporation, flow, and absorption water itself cannot be owned.  If NY has an access to this lake, any/all boats should be allowed to launch, even if a sign clearly states that by doing so, the owner takes full responsibility for damage that might occur to the boat.  Monies do not need to diverted to such a small lake for docks, it is after all the summer and boaters should expect to get wet...they're on WATER!! ::)

If NY stocks a lake, then that body of water should be considered to be a STATE lake.  A man with lesser means should not be prohibited from fishing a lake because he can't launch a smaller boat with a small engine any more then a rich man should not be prohibited from fishing with his expensive bass boat.  First come, first serve parking and a motor/speed limit should please all "reasonable" minded people who wish to enjoy the state resource.  I live on a lake and we get all kinds of yahoo's during the summer months that destroy my "enjoyment" of the lake.  Does that give me (and other owners) the right to close lake access for people who own property on the lake??

Offline perchwisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Let me just respond and say my boat is only a 14ft alumacraft(row boat basicly)With a 9.9 hp motor and still cant be launched there because of the boulders.When i did get out last year on lime because i ran across someone willing to let me use there key for the day, the traffic out there was extreme.2-3 ft waves while we were fishing cause these people would buss right by you at full throtle.only to shut it down 10 sec.later.And as for cold feet if you knew the great fishing in that lake you'd be bi-chin too.Im not gonna give away the secrets to everyone,but there are a few that responded that will tell you the same like Ray.Ice fishing there,lets just say were not going to simcoe any more when we can catch more fish there.Maybe not alot of perch but the gills and calicos unbelievable.Also there is a decent pop. of walleye to be caught in the spring in the shallows.I just want a peice of the action that i feel i deserve.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Perchwisher I see know problem getting a 14’ in there. Load it on the back of a pickup truck. Two guys should be able to lift it off the truck. Launch it by hand. Why would you want to fish this place in the summer? We discussed it already when to fish this lake.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:46 AM »
lime pond !!! they should ban all gas powered rec equipment jut like new albion lake they are not big enough for power boats. just my opinion
That would never happen.The people that live on the lake would not allow it to happen.That is the reason they own cottages there,so they can pull there kids around the lake on tubes without having tons of boat traffic like rushford.Just go out and spend 200 bucks on a small aluminum boat like I did.There isn't anything we really can do about the boulders.Trust me they are there to stay unfortunatley.Tight lines

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Pershwisher
I know all about the fish in that lake, I have a nephew who has a cottage on the lake. Ray I agree totally if it is a car topper you can unload it with 2 guys and hang the motor on it after the boat is in the water. If you really look at the so called launch its way to shallow to launch off a trailer. Allmost as bad as the DEC site on Silver. When I launch there you have to get so far back into the water the trucks rear axle is in the water. Now for Lime's launch 2 to 3 ft wakes and no Pier to tie off to makes for a beat up boat, add to that it is built on a empty lot with no parking for trailers because it's to small. Futhermore I will agree with the fact that because of the size of the lake there should be a boat to motor size limit. But don't point a finger at the DEC for this it would take the Sheriffs dept and the State to regulate this problem. I worked at building the Old folks home on top of the hill at that lake "The Pines" and talked to many a cottage owner there about access to the lake and it was brought about by the cottage association, Sure you can say its wrong that limiting outside boats on that body of water but yet, I still will say there are plenty of bodies of water to fish without using that lake. Take a ride down the road to Rushford. They have a good launch plenty of fish including great Crappie fishing and Eyes with Trout added. And for the most no pay for launch if the guards are not at the guard house. And also for the most a lot less boat traffic during the week. People who own boats that are too big and too fast and have no idea how to handle them are the problem on Every body of water. This is where the problem lies, If you have the MONEY to purchase a 21ft boat with a small block V8 then it yours to have, whether its practical to have that boat on a lake like Lime is not the question. Is it smart to buy that boat to keep there on a yearly basis without taking it to any other bigger body of water to use its full capacity, I think we all would say No. Do these same people who buy these boats understand the rules of the water? I would say its most likely over half have no clue to coast guard regulations. This is not the DEC's fault, it is the fault of the state who do not keep up with the times. Someone posted a few of the rules and one that was posted stated you must not exceed 5 mph within 100ft from shore. Well thats fine but what also wasn't stated is the fact that every boater is responsible for his or her wake anywhere on a body of water. I know this rule because I did have a boater arrested for this same thing years back when he almost swamped mine and another friends boat. What has to be done in my opinion is every owner and boater who runs a boat with motor Must have to pass a certified boaters course much the same as anyone who runs charters in NY waters. This again is not a DEC problem it is the states and the Sheriffs dept who has to get together and make the rules and enforce them.  Like I said before I can be on Lime in less than a hour from my home and sure there are times when I feel it would be nice to get out after work for a couple hours but I don't blame anyone for not being able to do it on that particular body of water especially the DEC. And to end this I have fished Lime on the ice many a time. Sure I got plenty of Gills and some Crappies with some real nice Perch tossed in there, most of the crappies were undersize but a few real nice ones. I also had a real nice Tiger lying under me for about a hour. So I do know the fishing there can be good. Real shakey ice but good fishing through the ice. One thing I wanted to try there this winter was a little night fishing for the Eyes out in the main body of the lake. But as we all know mother nature is not working with us on this one.
ColdFeet

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:26 AM »
I have seen worst places. try putting one in hemlock or canadice lake. If a man wants to get in nothing will get in his way.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:04 PM »

Cold feet I do not see your point AT ALL.

If we stock it and faciitate the lake with fish, we should have access!!!!!!!! If you have pheasants released on your peoperty for a state program then access should be allowed. Just like saying I wanta tax breeak for public access then posting the land during trout season.

Lime lake homeoners association hass too much power!!
Look at rushfords ass. They sold the water to RGE couple of years ago and got screwed on water that year because of the release, people did not even have water to their docks.
Effects homeowners and visitors to a public facility!
They wante the best of both worlds public assistance and private lake.
Let them stock it themselves??? Kill the weeds themselves and regulate it themselves.
Restrict the HP on that lake

Jean Cocteau

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:44 PM »
The beef I have with the DEC is a good one.  I fish trout and Salmon in the Genesee River at Lower Falls in Rochester.  During the salmon run most of the people down in the gorge are snagging.  The DEC does not do anything about it any more.  Their excuse is "The city courts just throw out the tickets".  I don't care if they do.  That is no excuse to stop writing tickets.  I think it is BS that the city does throw out the tickets.  Our tax dollars pay for the judges salary, DEC officers salary, so I think they should do their job.  The city judges say that murders and other crimes are more important.  I think a fish and game law is just as important as criminal law.  A law is a law, if it is broken the person should be punished.

crowkiller

« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:17 PM »
i agree the money from the fines go to the town n dec

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Kind of hard to carry that 21" bass boat.
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Whats wrong with this idea? BIG & FAST BOATS= BIG WATERS.
I absolutely despise the idiots who come ice fishing so they can race their quads or snowmobiles up and down a tiny lake while they wait for a flag.
If a rule is designed to allow fisherman to fish then I am all for it. If you know fisherman with with 40 foot yachts and down riggers and outriggers who come to race then why not let them know they are not appreciated at all.
Summer time, I don't even bother with these waters but in winter I would deffinately agree to a rule that states, ATVs or snow machines may be used only if dragging gear to or from fishing.
I know this will get me some bad press but what really is the difference between ATVs and snowmobiles. ATVs are pretty much outlawed on state land while snowmobiles enjoy free run most anywhere.
Good thing there is no POLITICS involved here!!!!

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.