Author Topic: What do you use to spud?  (Read 2405 times)

Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: What do you use to spud?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Part and partial to a Frabill economy spud. A nice tapered head with a D ring at the top to attach a wrist strap. Fairly light. About 20 bucks when I got mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-9000-Standard-Ice-Chisel/dp/B0056A1A1M

BlueDuck

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:17 AM »
I made one out of 3/4" rebar.   6' long with a  1 1/2" chisel point welded on the point.  Never weighed it but it does a good job.

capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I used to have 1. I made out of rebar.  Now its on the bottom of a lake. Now I use an Ice chopper with a wooden handle. Like the kind ya use on your sidewalks.  Idk what it weighs But Thats what I have used the last 2 years. It works for me  ;)

Fishingixxer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:11 PM »
I am in a unique position that i am a fabrication welder. I made mine out of a piece of 1" OD, 7/8" ID dom tubing with a manganese head. Its a little on the heavy side but it has saved my butt a few times now.

Frozenn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Bought an Eskimo from Cabelas. First time I used it, it paid for itself. Kept me off the ice, when I probably would have went out if I didn't use it. We'll think nothing of spending money for a new jigging rod, but we'll question buying safety equipment. I think we've all done it, standing there with the spud in your wondering "do I really need to spend 50 bucks on this thing". My answer now "is yes you do. Better safe then sorry.

Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:12 AM »
I had a spud that was made from 3/4 black pipe with threads on both ends to hold a "T" that was used for a handle and the other end had a coupling welded to a chisel for chopping ice. I used it for testing ice as I walked out on the river where I fished, then used it to open old holes to fish. the T had a rope through it so I could wrap it around my wrist and not loose it chopping holes. Sadly it took a bath 2 years ago falling off my snow mobile while traveling to a fishing spot on Saginaw Bay. It was light, and about armpit high, and worked well for what I used it for.

slugger33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:35 AM »
I had a buddy at work weld one for me out of rebar it's about 50" tall with a 16" cross bar at top and a 2"w x 3.5"t 3/4" thick block welded to the end sharpened to a wedge if it foes through in 2 hits I am off the ice I have cut holes In the ice with it as well to check thickness planning to paint it orange and tie a line to it sometime

Idahogator

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Spuds are even used in Sweden as can be noticed in this video (including the rescue of a moose).    :woot: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxK-C2KmBdk

timr35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:05 AM »
I fabricated mine from 5' of  1/2" black iron pipe left over from my furnace install a T connector and a old steel wedge .
cost me nothing. I threaded a piece of para cord through the T just in case it does get dropped you have something to snag with a hook.
To help it from slipping  I sprayed the top 2 ' with spray on rock guard then painted the whole thing with black rust proof paint,
It stands against the wall  in my permanent hut and clips into a broom holder, Its light and works awesome .   

Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:06 AM »
I bought the two piece from Gander Mountain.  It's heavy, but now that I've had it out a couple off times, I found it's great for keeping the kid occupied during slow times.  The bottom half works great for him to be creative, almost like a big icy sandbox.  The only problem is he likes to dig trap holes and I walk into every one of them.  I keep telling him it's only funny til I break an ankle and he has to drag everything back to the truck by himself.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.