Author Topic: Lake trout, whats it take?!!  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Wyomingbohunk

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake trout, whats it take?!!
« on: Dec 11, 2016, 10:44 AM »
 Hey guys, I've never fished lake trout before and was planning on heading up to pactola in the coming weeks, what do you normally use for these fish? jig with wax worm? spoon? I've also heard some people use shrimp? any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake trout, whats it take?!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Time, is what it takes. FindING the fish.  I've only caught a few

Offline Wyomingbohunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Ha sounds good! Thank you

Offline waterfowlstocker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • not how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:23 PM »
last year was my first year taking a crack at them through the ice. I found just finding deep structure and drill holes until you mark fish. Then getting them to bite is the next part. Just used heavy jigs tipped with bait or plastics.

Offline snotslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:20 AM »
I use white tubes. They go nuts o er them. We were at Deerfield Sunday and caught a few. A lot of the are still in shallow areas there from when they were stocked. We were fishing in about 10ft of water. I use braided line with about a 3ft fluorocarbon leader. U need to get a good hook set on them especially when you have about 100ft of line out.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:37 AM »
With the research I did on lake trout this is what I found. If shad or perch are available that's what they like to eat. Minnows would also be what's on their diet. During the ice season they become very active and fairly aggressive. I only got to ice fish for them one year but this is what worked for me. The largest slender spoon by custom jigs in spins. The chrome or gold color. I don't think the decal makes much of a difference but I would go with blue. Size 7 jigging rapalas in perch, chrome/blue, or pearl. 3 1/2"-4" white tubes. I heard guys even go bigger than that. You could also try jigging a white twister tail. I would go with a 4 or 5". I didn't tip any of those with bait. I would also try jigging lipless cranks if you have them. Same colors as the rapalas. If you have any northland airplane jigs I would also try those.

Offline Flyguyskt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Right now... get in 10 to 20 foot of water. Deerfield is fishing well... medium light action off heavier. I landed two yesterday on 3# line with 1/8 oz jig and wax worms.  Jigging for perch...

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2016, 10:14 PM »
Get any perch?

Offline Flyguyskt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Could keep the perch off.

Offline Blodge11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:54 AM »
Jigging spoons tipped with fatheads has been my best luck so far this season ( rattling flyers, buckshot...ect. I also have had good luck with size 6 or 8 trebles on a floro leader for tip ups or deadsticks. Shiners or medium chubs for those rigs. Pactola I have caught the Lakers anywhere from 8 to 115 fow. I mainly like the 40 to 75 fow range. Good luck!

Offline Baldguy0722

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Right now... get in 10 to 20 foot of water. Deerfield is fishing well... medium light action off heavier. I landed two yesterday on 3# line with 1/8 oz jig and wax worms.  Jigging for perch...

How thick was the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.