Author Topic: Whats your favorite thing to cook on while ice fishing?  (Read 4963 times)

bart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Whats your favorite thing to cook on while ice fishing?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:39 PM »
I haven't been cooking on the ice, I reheat my meals on my Mr. Heater; Mac & Cheese, Franks and beans, omelet, and also sausage, onion and peppers...
Doesn't interfere with fishing...

Piping hot coffee...

Clean up is a snap!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:54 PM »
I haven't been cooking on the ice, I reheat my meals on my Mr. Heater; Mac & Cheese, Franks and beans, omelet, and also sausage, onion and peppers...
Doesn't interfere with fishing...

Piping hot coffee...

Clean up is a snap!

This is the way to go! For my hotdogs I just boil water in the morning fill my thermos with hotdogs and pour in the boiling water and seal it up until lunch. When you open it up you have hot delicious dogs ready to go! P.S. dont use plumping hot dogs  :P

bart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:54 PM »
This is the way to go! For my hotdogs I just boil water in the morning fill my thermos with hotdogs and pour in the boiling water and seal it up until lunch. When you open it up you have hot delicious dogs ready to go! P.S. dont use plumping hot dogs  :P

Great idea! I have to check to see if hotdogs will fit in my soup thermos...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Hemingweigh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Jetboil is by far the easiest way to have a hot meal in less than 15 minutes.

jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Blackfish grilled and sea bass chowder…all the good stuff caught a week before ice starts. My hunting boys hook us up with back straps and no complaints.
Striper Nut, a granola bar is not gonna cut it on 12 to 24 hour ventures.

Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Venison Back straps in a HOT frying pan with butter, rosemary, black pepper, garlic, salt and onion!!!!!

fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Oh boy this is one of the best parts of ice fishing to me. I use like a coleman grill and depending on the time of day it's anything from bacon and eggs and coffee/tea in a kettle for breakfast to hot dogs, all types of brats, burgers, chili, maybe some cut up potatoes in foil, pretty much anything...man I can't wait.

stripernut

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Striper Nut, a granola bar is not gonna cut it on 12 to 24 hour ventures.

You are right, I end up eating more than one... I often bring a sleeve of Ritz Crackers and some dehydrated fruit on the long days (I am always trying to remind myself to drink, so I don't get dehydrated). It is all about your style of fishing . There is nothing wrong with either style, one where you set up and then sit back and have time to heat up a meal. For me when I fishing, I am always going, cutting new holes, jigging, moving tilts, hunting new spots for fish... On days when I have brought a sandwich, most of the time it does not get eaten until I am on the drive home.  Don't get me wrong, I live to eat and have the waistline to prove it... But no matter how much time I spend fishing, it is never enough, so like sleep, I will get plenty when I am dead, I take the time to eat when not fishing...

As I have said before, one of the greatest things about this sport is we can all "take" different things from it, there are those that find great joy in catching crappies and sunfish all day and night, others that love to pull a big bucket mouth thru a hole and yet others that are happy to wait for the bite of a big pike... None are wrong, whether it is the fish catching or the social part of ice fishing, so long as we have fun and don't play loud music near other anglers! So, "bon appetit" and we all look forward the the words "FLAG!"

Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Got a little backpack stove that burns the little propane/isobutane canisters. Pure propane is hard to keep lit at 11,000' where I fish. Have a jumbo enamel cup for a cook pot in which I boil water to make fancy ramen noodle bowls. Add a little diced chicken or pork and a hot feast awaits. I fish with deadsticks mostly with DIY JawJackers to set the hook. Usually, when I get to the critical stage in cooking, the snapper goes off and I need to pause a few minutes to go reel in the fish. Set. repeat. enjoy.

X2

UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Johnsonville's  :o
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Corndogs. They can be cooked over the Mr. Heater on a forked stick and they have a handle so no plate/fork needed. And they make the shanty smell like the midway at the county fair.

GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:26 PM »
the classic 2 burner coleman stoves are always a good way to go. light and simple and nothing to break
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Mr heater thread got me started last year, my challenge was trying to bring something new each trip.

Hot Dogs, Chicken Wings bought precooked, ham balls, meat balls, taco thing I found at fareway already cooked and ready, ham steak, sausage egg mix most everything I warmed up in aluminum foil

George Dahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Wrap any and all kinds of sandwiches in foil and butter both sides and set on your buddy burner guard, turn when you can smell it and give it 4 more minutes.  you will wish you brought more with you.

Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic Muckletonian Society
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:12 PM »

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"...Rick Nelson/SCB '72

bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2016, 01:38 PM »
the small weber q series propane ones work great. another piece of equipment to haul though.

wyogator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:17 AM »
Some days if it's not too cold, I haul out a Weber Smokey Joe and charcoal for dogs brats or burgers, other times I bring an MSR Dragonfly or Pocket Rocket stove with a pot to boil dogs or ramen. Other times, I just pack sandwiches.  I still can't bring myself to cook on my Buddy Heater.  I'm afraid I will get food or sauce on the ceramic element.

chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:42 AM »
S'more's  besides heating up my sub from the gas station
. Lol's marshmellows are easy to pack so is chooclate and gram crackers .. lots of energy from the suger. 

tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:57 PM »
I also use my buddy heater, if you get a small frying pan you can put the handle under the handle of the heater.  Keeps weight down and if you use a heater then you have a source of heat.  If im going light i just take hot pockets and push them on the grates of the buddy heater

heater buddy! I  bought a $1 pain roller grate from Walmart and bent it up to make a cooking surface for the top of my buddy.I like to put premade food in tin load pans and reheat, mac n cheese being my favorite, but it will get hot enough to cook something up. one of my favorite pieces of equipment when i am out

FilletShow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I've got a Weber grill where the legs fold up to keep the top on during transport.  Has a dial to adjust the heat perfectly.  Cook anything on it, even steaks if you want.  There are hooks on the inside of the top, so you can hang it on the back of the grill to keep it out of the snow, and as a windbreak.  Can fit 6-8 brats on it.  50 bucks at Ace hardware but that was 6 or 7 years ago.

Simple is good too, with the Mr. Heater.  Will have to try that.

FS

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.