New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont / Henderson BS Thread  (Read 74267 times)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Re: Chaumont / Henderson BS Thread
« Reply #90 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:36 PM »
 Just asking because we have a family camp next to Kitto's on Guffin Bay. Can usually fill a bucket of perch in front of camp during the summer months, but they do have the grubs. Probably no good ice over that way this year? Well best of luck to all, tight lines.  @)

Offline shimanoman45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Me and a buddy will be headed out of sawmill at daybreak with sled. If any shanty members wanna link up and search for some perch and eyes pm me. Tight lines

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Feb 10, 2017, 04:26 AM »
Well, after securing a nice place to stay in Cape Vincent, I am going to make the plunge and make my first ever trip to Chaumont next week. I intend to call and stop buy Chaumont hardware but I have two questions some of the more experienced guys can answer. First, should I bring the atv or the sled? Second, what is the average size of the perch. My personal slot limit is 9 1/2 to 12" Anything under or over goes back. Are there enough of them to make it worth it or should I just target the eyes? Thanks.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:18 AM »
From my very limited experience the perch are on the smaller side. Seems like somewhere between Sandy Pond and Oneida. From the reports it sounds like some guys have landed on some bigger perch though.

The hardware store always recommends a sled because they don't wreck the shoreline like wheelers do. Plus they glide across bad spots better.

I think the eye bite is a little sporadic right now because you can't get to the better walleye spots.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #94 on: Feb 10, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Me and a buddy will be headed out of sawmill at daybreak with sled. If any shanty members wanna link up and search for some perch and eyes pm me. Tight lines

where do you park to get on there?

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Loaded up ready to go.....my son has a basketball game at 8 tonight then home for a quick nap and on the road at 230 am and straight to the hardware store for bait good luck to everyone going out in the morning hope to be getting bait at 6 am

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 10, 2017, 11:32 AM »
I've never fished up in that area, but I have private access about 1.5 miles west of Westcott on Henderson Bay. Trying to decide if it's worth the drive (from Albany area). How far off shore do I need to get as I don't have a sled or quad? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post anything public.

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 10, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Well if your bringing a boat your in good shape around Henderson area. That hasn't froze all year

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 10, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Well anywhere worth noting I should say. The bay at the launch is froze but that's about it

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Thanks. I was afraid there wasn't enough ice in that area. Good to know.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 10, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Today's satellite photo on MODIS Today shows a pretty good view of the extent of the ice on the bays and how far out it has formed. Many areas are still open.
http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2017_02_10_041&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA4&resolution=250m

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11:58 AM »
A good friend of mine said there was a air boat rescue today. Large chunk broke off and the FD had to go out and get someone.

Offline Frogger4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Yeah saw the helicopter and boat this morning,

Fished Johnson and had tons of dinks no eyes

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:55 PM »
A good friend of mine said there was a air boat rescue today. Large chunk broke off and the FD had to go out and get someone.

I bet that was a fun ride.

I hope everyone is safe.

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Feb 11, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Just saw on FB on the Chaumont FD page that a ATV went through at the launch and that the launch is now closed.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Feb 11, 2017, 02:36 PM »
on the news ir said the guys snowmobile and gear where left on floating piece of ice

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #107 on: Feb 11, 2017, 03:01 PM »
So much for the derbies

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Feb 11, 2017, 03:20 PM »
That looks scary.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Feb 11, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Right there's what happens on a large body of water, open water in a slot between the bay and Lake O, winds in one direction one day and 180 degrees opposite the next, coupled with fishermen who don't know the signs of what to look for ....

That ice out in that area has formed, jammed up from wind, frozen again, been warmed and busted by winds again, refrozen and has NEVER been "good" ice the entire year.

Yeah, you could walk on it, drill holes in it, etc., etc...but it wasn't good.

A tip of the hat to all the volunteers who came out today to aid in getting these guys off the ice, they're lucky only some gear was lost...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Feb 11, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Just saw on FB on the Chaumont FD page that a ATV went through at the launch and that the launch is now closed.
yes
 Just came off the laun h is closed but by foot you can get on and off 100 ft over but its a rock bank
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline PerchTHumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Feb 11, 2017, 04:10 PM »
I was out there when it broke up, we noticed the water levels on our holes changing looked outside the shack and noticed people scrambling so we got the heck out of dodge thankfully everyone made it out ok. Wicked scary

Offline Demottt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Any ice left at all?

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:23 AM »
Plenty of ice in the bay, but not on the edge of open water. We had 8 inches minimum anywhere we drilled. Shore ice can be tricky, thats why they closed the launch yesterday afternoon
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:25 PM »

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:31 PM »
That right there is some crazy stuff

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:45 PM »
What a knob! All I know is that right there is a proof that people are oblivious to there surroundings anymore. And to top it off the guy   talks the rescuers because they didn't get his pos sled off the ice sheet.

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Saw all unfold at 8 am and he has the balls to complain about rescue people. Hope DEC fines him when machine goes in. There was a lot money spent bringing air boat from Clayton Fire department and a helicopter for his rescue. He should be kissing their feet and buying a round for all the people who got up at 8:00 on Saturday morning because he had to go out farther than anyone else.

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I was out there right next to the guy. I camped on the ice for three days. Yes it was jam ice, but it was 9-10" thick and there was over a mile of ice before open water. There were guys 1/2 mile further out the night before on the back side of herricks. There was no warning before it happened. My buddy got out to take a leak and noticed a crack opening up behind Steves hut, then it all started to give way. We yelled over to Steve and his buddy was able to jump some cracks to safety but Steve didn't get over in time. I was able to save my shelter, and my buddy saved his sled. I yelled to the 30 plus other guys that were out there too as we ride back to safety and everybody was able to get out of there minus some gear. I lost just about everything. The wind was calm, but the current was ripping. I just never could have pictured current could suck that much ice up, that fast. It was an expensive learning experience for sure.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:34 PM »
. Yes it was jam ice, but it was 9-10" thick I lost just about everything. The wind was calm, but the current was ripping. I just never could have pictured current could suck that much ice up, that fast.

The ripping current was the sign.

Winds pushing the water level up in Chaumont the previous 3-4 days, then winds pushing the opposite direction yesterday.

Ice was making unusual noises Friday, minute cracking noises in addition to the regular popping and expansion noises.

Understanding the layout of the Bay is a must, the slot between Pillar Point and Point Peninsula is a natural funnel for both S-SW winds and N-NE winds.

Yes, it was only a 5-6 mph wind, but the previous days of S-SW winds brought lake level up, pushing in water from a completely open Lake O.

Same exact thing happened 2-21-12, almost same exact conditions.

A little current is expected out there, a major ripping current is a sure sign of bad things happening.

Been fishing that bay over 40 years of my adult life and 10 years of my childhood.

Kudos to all the responders yesterday.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.