Author Topic: Marcum update  (Read 7499 times)

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum update
« on: Nov 25, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble installing the update on a marcum? I follow the directions but I can't get a computer to recognize my lx6. I've tried two different computers and two different USB cables...same result. Am I alone in having trouble?

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum update
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2016, 11:35 AM »
It needs the USB2 cable specifically, and then power it on. Your computer may take a few to recognize it, but other than that I found it was the cable that messed me up, I had one that looked USB2 but wasnt. Or call Marcum.

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2016, 01:01 PM »
This is exactly why I stay away from the advanced garbage. ANY flasher will do the trick. I'll stick with my vx1 pro and lx3 ;) ;)
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2016, 01:40 PM »

older video not sure if they change any procedures

BTW Marcum updated their YouTube site ...more instructional videos
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Mncrappie:  I agree.  I don't want none of that newfangled stuff. 

I LOVE puttin' on my cotton longjohns and drivin' my horse & buggy to the lake...

Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Mncrappie:  I agree.  I don't want none of that newfangled stuff. 

I LOVE puttin' on my cotton longjohns and drivin' my horse & buggy to the lake...

well at least we know you can go fishing 😀

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2016, 03:47 PM »
helimpd124:  The magic eight ball says it's the cable.  I have a device that only works with usb2 cables.  Drove me round the bend till I figured it out.  Good luck.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2016, 05:06 PM »
This is exactly why I stay away from the advanced garbage. ANY flasher will do the trick. I'll stick with my vx1 pro and lx3 ;) ;)
Advanced garbage eh? Pretty sure it'll blow your units outta the water soo...

I had no problem updating mine. It was super easy. Took about five minutes altogether.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I'm really surprised they never updated the LX9, they were supposed to last year at the end of the season and it never happened. I haven't had any problems with my "advanced garbage". I can't say anything negative about Vex's either, I've had both.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2016, 06:08 PM »
plenty of home users have already performed the update with no issues, so the software is fine.

that being said, it only leaves your hardware. check with family and friends to see if they have the right usb cord you could borrow. also, you may have disabled auto play or ahcp in the bios of your pc's or your anti-virus may be interfering or you need to do a cold reboot or your usb jacks are dirty or you have too many things on your usb ports. try some one else s pc if none of those things helps.

if you care to ship it to my home and pay to have it shipped back i would gladly update it for you for free.

you say any flasher will do the trick while also saying you stay away from certain others? can you clarify your statement for us?

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2016, 06:47 PM »
No problems with the update for me either.  It was easier than updating a phone.  It's a good thing that not everyone stays away from the new fangled stuff.  If everyone did then the Pony Express would still be delivering our mail. 

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2016, 06:59 PM »
My lx9 update was a breeze. Just need some ice to test her hot now
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2016, 08:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try a different cable and see if that works.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2016, 09:48 PM »
I used the cable that came with my cheap digital camera. It worked fine.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2016, 10:04 PM »
you say any flasher will do the trick while also saying you stay away from certain others? can you clarify your statement for us?

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2016, 10:31 PM »
The second best thing about the Marcum's (digital) are that you can upgrade.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2016, 10:48 PM »
EZ PZ Patrick Swayzee.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2016, 12:02 AM »
The second best thing about the Marcum's (digital) are that you can upgrade.

I think you have to remember this is a two way street. computers are able to upgrade, but are you still using the same computer or software you first bought?

It is nice that they can improve and upgrade the unit, but it causes stuff to be released before it should and product being released before it should, because they can patch/fix/or upgrade it. I am so tired of buying electronics that do not work like they should, only to be fixed by "upgrades." Then when the companies finally get things working like they should have on the release day they decide to discontinue support and the product gets discontinued. All we ever are is a huge beta testing group for this crap....,gets old.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2016, 10:14 AM »
the phone or tablet or pc you just wrote from is always getting updates too. the base operating system gets them and so do all the individual programs. no biggie at all. i look forward to them. it is expected.
the reason being is all software, no matter what it's installed into has "bugs". some are known bugs and some are not. that's how code works. even the vexilar's and hb's and all the others have buggy code that make them work good enough to release to market (RTM). microsoft releases their operating system this way, but it is beta first and alpha to start with. building code is very expensive. some things that use code can never be changed so you have to buy a new unit to have new code, and some things can now.
remember man makes the code and it's made with software that assists man. that software of choice also has bugs.
for the most part software is changed not to fix code so much as to add new feature depending on what it purpose is like the browser you chose to to talk to us with. it has bugs that has security risks and so those become known risks by hackers and the pulg-ins are vulnerable too. so these updates are more to try to close some of the known security bugs that get exploited, but also add more stability and features.

the marcum update was to resolve a bug with the missing 2.5 feet of water where you can't see your jig from under the transducer. this update still has the same issue, so nothing was fixed in that area, but they did tweak other areas of their software.
to me it's not a bug at all, i think at times it was designed that way to remove clutter like my hb ice-55 has in that same area that renders it useless. to me it's smarter to have that clutter not showing at all like marcum digital's. when using the ice55 i wished i could not have that light blinking in my eyes with worthless data and i thought about adding black tape or any thing to not have to stare at it while fishing with it. or even a black wheel i could spin to try to hide it. so again this missing water method marcum has in place is welcomed by myself at least compared to the hb. if they could get that area to see the jig and remove the clutter would be a huge success and i thought it is possible, but maybe not. time will tell. i think that's why they bought the showdown was to own rights to code that allowed them to make superior hardware that was never offered in the past for ice fishing.
the lx6/7/9 is just an extension of that technology and added a graph and a camera to the mix and in color.
the showdown was a one of a kind unit. it also has software updates, but the end user doesn't have the means to accomplish it at home, so they charge to have it done. so the lx6/7/9 is also an improvement in that regard and that's in part why we are sitting here reading these posts right now.

thanks marcum!

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Any flasher will catch you a fish. Why spend $800-$1000 on one when you can get one for $300-$500 that does basically the same thing??? It's just a way for people to show up others I guess. I'll take my normal flasher over a digital screen that looks more like tv than a tool used to catch fish
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2016, 10:49 AM »
yup, If i am on the fish i will  catch just as many fish on my fl8 as my lx7. The point of the digital display isn't just to be a flasher.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I think you have to remember this is a two way street. computers are able to upgrade, but are you still using the same computer or software you first bought?

It is nice that they can improve and upgrade the unit, but it causes stuff to be released before it should and product being released before it should, because they can patch/fix/or upgrade it. I am so tired of buying electronics that do not work like they should, only to be fixed by "upgrades." Then when the companies finally get things working like they should have on the release day they decide to discontinue support and the product gets discontinued. All we ever are is a huge beta testing group for this crap....,gets old.
I've never bought any electronics that didn't work like they should. My open water finders are all updateable and that's great. So is my phone. And now so is my ice flasher.

Typical flx28 user there.

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2016, 12:09 PM »
It's all about preference. Both Marcum and Vexilar make great products. My personal preference is Vexilar. I want as little "software" as possible in my ice fishing equipment. For me the FLX-28 and the FL-18 fit the bill.  I played with an LX-7 at the store and it was awesome. A little too bulky for me personally but still really cool.  Getting out on the ice and having fun is what matters.

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:10 PM »
I'm by no means going to quit my day job and work in IT. With that said I tried to update my LX 7 using Windows 10. It recognized the unit but would not update after I dragged the file into the units drive. Tried several times to no avail. Switched to a older machine with XP and used the same USB cable I used with Windows 10. It worked like a charm on the first attempt. Who knows if it was user error or machine error but I did git er done!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:54 PM »
I've never bought any electronics that didn't work like they should. My open water finders are all updateable and that's great. So is my phone. And now so is my ice flasher.

Typical flx28 user there.

Then you havent bought much.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2016, 03:34 PM »
What I would really like to know is just WHY this is such a divisive and constant theme when it comes to this subject??
Why can't a guy just ask a simple question without someone turning it into a constant "Chevy vs Ford thing ??

A simple answer to the question that will help the guy should work should it not??

Jeez......

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2016, 06:35 PM »
What I would really like to know is just WHY this is such a divisive and constant theme when it comes to this subject??
Why can't a guy just ask a simple question without someone turning it into a constant "Chevy vs Ford thing ??

A simple answer to the question that will help the guy should work should it not??

Jeez......

Exactly! My wife was given a 'name brand' purse that cost as much as some flashers. I think it's crazy that my $5 wallet can basically serve the same function but it provides her a few more benefits and most of all it makes her happy. I don't feel the need to bash her decision to use it. To each their own.

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2016, 12:17 PM »
people who havent used an lx-7 will alwasy say why spend that much.. id buy one every year if i had to.. the thing is absolutely amazing!!!!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Fan boys are going to be fan boys.  Buy what you prefer and can afford and enjoy it for what it's worth. Don't worry about what Joe blow is using in the shack over yonder and enjoy your time on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.