The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: So what's is our best guesstimate on when first ice will be here??  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking good looking good
My main area of fishing I'm not sure like croton

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Surprisingly had a 1/4" skim on pond this morning!!

Offline BK105

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Mitchell coves should freeze by the end of the week, hopefully stays cold enough at night without a bunch of snow on it.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah in keeping eye on Mitchell too
With single digits heading that way

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
This is just a guess but around me smaller shallow lakes could possible be carefully fished by next weekend. No temps above freezing for the next 10 days and a few are half frozen with half inch or better. :_) ;D :icefish:

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm hoping maybe a couple weeks from today around here, maybe Erie by new year?

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm hoping maybe a couple weeks from today around here, maybe Erie by new year?

<°)))>{

That maybe asking for a lot but were all hoping with you lol's ..

Offline Vexilar23

• IceShanty Rookie
Already on the ice in Nebraska. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Been hearing there is a major blizzard/cold temps from Kansas to north dakota 300 miles of free way closed cause of this weather..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
the lake effect snow coming towards Allegan co. will not make ice,might cool the lakes down and glad theres no skim so the snow can dump in the lakes instead of insulating/rotting thin  ice.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weather is saying mid teen highs and single digit lows middle of next week, could be sooner then we think. Fingers crossed
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular
the lake effect snow coming towards Allegan co. will not make ice,might cool the lakes down and glad theres no skim so the snow can dump in the lakes instead of insulating/rotting thin  ice.

That was also my thinking bring temp down in next few days let water level rise a little. And clear up about time ready to fish.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
it's coming quicker than it has in a while, another push of cold air coming early next week
at this rate i give it 10 to 14 days on smaller first ice spots (nothing real deep)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
it's coming quicker than it has in a while, another push of cold air coming early next week
at this rate i give it 10 to 14 days on smaller first ice spots (nothing real deep)

I said pretty much the same thing to my wife the other day. With this cold streak I told her we should be on ice by Christmas. Being in Clare co. there should be a handful of options by then if weather keeps it up.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I saw a couple of small lakes yesterday that were protected from the wind that has skim ice out about 200 yards from shore. If this wind would quit blowing you would see guys on some of the small lake by next week end

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
I saw a couple of small lakes yesterday that were protected from the wind that has skim ice out about 200 yards from shore. If this wind would quit blowing you would see guys on some of the small lake by next week end

Truth right there....need some calm days/nights....I am curious to see what my first ice lake looks like next Friday night...max 7fow and has had skim ice already weeks ago.  It won't take long for 4" of ice to form given the right conditions which hopefully will happen next week.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline chi92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mid to late January i'm betting.
I'd Rather Be Lost At The Lake
THAN FOUND AT HOME!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mid to late January i'm betting.

For driving trucks I'm hoping...

<°)))>{

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
For driving trucks I'm hoping...

<°)))>{
LOL right.. be fishing in SE mich b4 xmas guaranteed

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular

I know I will be  :icefish:
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline BK105

• IceShanty Rookie
Both coves & half of Lake Mitchell are now iced over...won't be long.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some of the smaller bays at Kensington have skim ice but a lot of open water it 's comin soon but not soon enough for me..

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I hope the lakes are not froze to solid yet, we got about 12 inches of snow last night. With cold temps coming it will make alot of ice fast if the snow is off what ice there was. I drove back to a small lake I fish on first ice yesterday and it had ice all the way across

Offline BK105

• IceShanty Rookie
The ice is starting out with no snow, it missed us.

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
Assuming stuff doesn't freeze before the next storm Sunday/Monday, next Saturday looks pretty promising. 

Offline michiganoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm seeing guys on the ice all over Wisconsin on Facebook! Hopefully we're not too far behind!
I'd rather be fishing!

Offline BillyHoyleUSA7

• IceShanty Rookie

15 days of below freezing temps...I don't want to get my hopes up but I like this optimism
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
15 days of below freezing temps...I don't want to get my hopes up but I like this optimism

On certain spots I should have said... I have a couple no current close to shore spots... I think I can get on next Friday if the weather stays true...always an early spoT for me at this place

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm going to be trying a few early spots with a friend probably this Friday. Hopefully get into some perch and bluegills.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pls keep us up to date o  those early ice spots if you found it don't have to say ware just let us know it's out there lol's ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.