Author Topic: What size perch you keep  (Read 1992 times)

tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What size perch you keep
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:26 AM »
I'll keep them from 6" up on some lakes, but I don't fillet those guys I leave them on the bone.  ;D Other guys throw them all back but I go home with a couple good meals!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Here in southern NY a nice perch is 11-13" but there is one lake I fish that me and a couple friends caught over 100 perch, we were  lucky if 5 of them were over  10".
My question.... Is it possible that there is so many perch in the lake that they are unable to grow to a larger size? Also some of these little gals are full of eggs.
I personally think that the lake is over populated and these fish need to be thinned out so the ones that are left can grow to a larger size. Anyone have any thoughts, Ideas, or answers.
The lake is good size, 100 acres or so. and average depth is around 15' with the deepest spots around 25-30'.
Average size of the fish I'm referring to is around 5-6".

italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:36 PM »
if the lake receives allot of pressure and and the breeding stock(9-13+in) of perch is taken on a regular basis, then yes, you can get a lake that is loaded with little perch for awhile until the bigger breeding stock rebounds. Also the lack of predatory fish(ie:pickerel,  pike, walleye, tiger muskies) will play a part as well, as they contribute to the controll of the smaller fish.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.