Author Topic: Big Lakes vs Small Sloughs  (Read 3052 times)

Offline SRogert

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Lakes vs Small Sloughs
« on: Nov 06, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Hi neighbors to the north! A buddy and I will be heading up in December trying to find some perch and I was hoping one of you guys could settle an argument. My buddy wants to go to bitter/waubay because he said the bigger lakes will have better reports out and we'll have a better idea where to look. My thoughts are since we don't really care about walleye, the smaller/less fished sloughs will be better fishing for panfish. For you guys that fish up there regularly what's your experience?

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Lakes vs Small Sloughs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Just go to Poinsett, that's where all the other people will be!

Offline NESDperchslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2016, 07:58 AM »
There are many sloughs to pick from, usually Dry #2 or Poinsett will be your best bet.  You will want to get away from the crowds on both of those lakes though.

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Hey guys.  I want to come out there and fish some sloughs for perch this year.  I have no idea what to look for when picking one though.  I've heard you can pretty much drive by and pick one and just start fishing.  Not looking for names or specific sloughs just curious how to tell which have the potential to hold good fish populations and which don't.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Hey guys.  I want to come out there and fish some sloughs for perch this year.  I have no idea what to look for when picking one though.  I've heard you can pretty much drive by and pick one and just start fishing.  Not looking for names or specific sloughs just curious how to tell which have the potential to hold good fish populations and which don't.

Not really a good way to tell in the winter without just trying it.  I Deliver bulk seed, chemical, and fertilizer, so I am always looking at sloughs that I'm driving by.  The thing that I pay attention so is if there are pelicans or cormorants on the water.  My thoughts are they eat fish and they wouldn't just hang out on water with no fish.
Gunnerdog

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Go out and try some different sloughs.  You never know when you will find a hidden gem like I did last year. 

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:23 PM »

You can do a lot of pre-scouting by talking to GFP fisheries staff and doing a little investigating on the GFP website in regards to what sloughs might have potential.

Offline willywilcox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:58 PM »
How do you know if its a slough and not private

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:24 PM »

Generally by the caliber or muzzle flash!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Sometimes you hear a lot of screaming and yelling right  before you hear the boom and see the muzzle flash. This is usually preceded by a pickup truck roaring down the road about 90 mph.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:10 AM »

Plat book.  You need to have lawful access to a body of water to be able to legally fish it.  This is a very contentious issue right now with multiple legal battles currently in play, but to summerize**** here is how you can access the water:

access from state or federally owned land, I.E. GPA or WPA.
access from a road right of way - water comes directly in contact with the right of way you can access the water.
access from private property - if you have permission from an adjacent land owner you can access and fish the body of water.
ultralight airplane - land on the ice.

****these are general guidelines and there are instances where these actions are not legal due to court injunctions or flooded road public right of ways being legally abandoned and the right of way has been transfered back to private property.  When in doubt, knock on doors and ask permission.  Day County and to a lesser extent Clark County is where you will come across the most contested areas and tensions aren't easing up any time soon.

Offline willywilcox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Yes thank you for the info

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:30 PM »
tornadochaser60 great information for sure! I'm interested in how accepting are the land owners when you do knock on the door? The Onix app would be very helpful finding land owners and public access.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:24 AM »
tornadochaser60 great information for sure! I'm interested in how accepting are the land owners when you do knock on the door? The Onix app would be very helpful finding land owners and public access.

I have yet to find a time where OnX worked better than a paper plat book here in SD.  That being said, I have never personally asked permission to access through private land.  If a slough doesn't have public land bordering and/or under at least some of the body of water, I move on.  I don't feel like adding to the "problem" between some land owners and some sportmen.  Most of the lakes I enjoy fishing have boat ramps, are meandered, and still see very little pressure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.