Author Topic: Homemade Jerky  (Read 3147 times)

FG Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Homemade Jerky
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:04 PM »
One more vote for the Hi-Mountain stuff.  I like their hickory blend.  Yes it is reminiscent of the King B stuff of years ago.  If you like commercial jerky it is an excellent way to go to emulate that.

I wouldn't use a dehydrator that can't get internal temp of game meat above 160 deg F.  Drying is OK for apples, but I prefer cooked (pasteurized) meat products.
    Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:50 PM »
I just started last year. High mountain is great. My family use to live in Idaho and my dad grew up eating King B jerky. We now live in Michigan and could not get King B anywhere near here. Last year I surprised him with some venison jerky using the pepper recipe and he loved it. It taste a lot like the King B flavor he misses. I can't make it right now, my wife is pregnant and doesn't do well with different smells. So I will have to stock up and wait until after the baby is born to start making more jerky.

I also bought the High mountain jerky cutting board. It makes it really simple to slice up uniformed pieces. I suggest getting that as well.
Mmmm King B!!!!  My mouths a watering!!!  The best!

HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Aug 04, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Been using the method I saw Alton Brown use on the Good East show. Bought a box fan for $11 and a pack of 20x20 AC air filters. Sandwich the meat between 2 filters and then bungee cord to fan on high to dry. Makes fantastic natural old style jerky. Simple teryaki or pepper brine is all you need overnight. Tried the same method with beef, venison, and even lamb...all tastes great. Keep the desiccant packs from other store bought jerky and put in a ziplock back. If longer storage, I use the vacuum sealer. 
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.