Author Topic: ice Cleat WARS... Kahtoola vs Stabilizers  (Read 1941 times)

icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice Cleat WARS... Kahtoola vs Stabilizers
« on: Oct 06, 2016, 05:32 AM »
curious to icers who've had experience with both brands of ice cleats... Kahtoolas & Stabilizers

PRO'S
CON'S

WHICH IS BETTER???[/b]
Ice-Fisherman: We're all shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice Cleat WARS... Kahtoola vs Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2016, 05:49 AM »
I have a pair of the stabilicers, but they are the ones without the heal grips. If you get a pair, make sure they have the heal grips cuz without them you will kill yourself. they are junk and a waste of money.

stripernut

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I have a pair of Stabilizers, with a heel straps and have been happy with them. Walking on ice is the easy for them, it is all the rocks I climb over in the open water season with them that puts the hurt on them. I have had to replace screws that have popped out but not a big deal. Between the  Stabilizers and the screws I am still under $30 with the deal I found on ebay...

BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:25 AM »
52 yrs old, 2 bad knees. I had a job outdoors for the last 20 years, and bought every incarnation of ice cleat. Do yourself a favor and buy the Kahtoolas. The big reason is walking across a snowed on lake, the stabilicers will come off, if they have the retention strap you may not lose it, but as soon as you step on ice with one boot and no cleat you are twirling like a ballerina. The stabilicers are made cheaper as well, and the rubber breaks faster. And trying to reattach a cleat in the middle of the lake is nearly impossible.

Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I just remembered why I really hated the stabilicers thanks to blackdog. The stabilicers would clog up with snow and ice real easy. After a while I was walking around with blobs of ice intead of cleats. After I almost blew my back out slipping around on the ice several times I took them off. Worse than useless.

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I have the Stabilicers ...3 days of run'n gun'n or chasing tip ups ...my back would be pain ...and they can "blow out" the Velcro can get iced up ...I now Kahtoolas ...great on my back and no "blow outs" ...easy on and off too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Wonderful comments, suggestions & experiences guys... THANKS
Ice-Fisherman: We're all shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

bart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I have used both... hands down, Kahtoola Micro Spikes!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

DR.SPECKLER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2016, 02:44 PM »
kahtoolas for sure out of the 2 choices.

slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2016, 04:18 PM »
Kahtoolas.........wort h every penny!!!!

filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Kahtoolas.........worth every penny!!!!
X2

Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I've used them all. Katoolas hands down. The only thing even close was the steel creepers that expanded to fit your boot, but they would only last a couple seasons.

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2016, 12:02 PM »
My friend retired from the United States Postal service. before he left, he "acquired" 6 or 7 pair of Stabilicers. The mail carriers here in Wisconsin use them in the winter. I have used a lot of cleats in my 65 years, but they are the best, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

HIMO
                                                                                 Iceshanty Moderator

rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2016, 07:25 PM »
I wore Stabilicers for years and swore by them... loved them and really thought they were really good cleats. I still think they are good cleats but Kahtoolas are far above and beyond a superior cleat. I have the utmost confidence wearing them. A great product and a solid company that stands behind their product.

MT_Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2016, 12:27 AM »
Kahtoola microspikes.  Hands down.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care" - Peter Gibbons

mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2016, 04:36 AM »
I haven't tried the stabilicers and I'm sure they make a great product, but as long as I have a pair of kahtoolas I don't want to try anything else. 

iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Kahtoolas are my choice, easy on and off, they work great, I've used them all by far the best.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I've used stabilizers for years and never had a problem, I like the extra rubber layer, helps keep the feet warm. Never had a problem with them coming off, then again i have a big foot so maybe that's part of it...Always wanted to pick of a pair to Kahtoolas to see what the fuss is about....maybe this year...
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

doctorgee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I knew it was wrong, I did it anyway" -Gonzo
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2016, 11:05 AM »
There is no one winner in this battle! I own and use both for different purposes. If there is no snow, glare ice, I far prefer the Stablicers Maxx. Must clarify the MAXX, because Stabilicers makes a far inferior model that is useless. But when there is any kind of snow cover I use the Kahtoolas. The Stabilicers are more comfortable for a long day on glare ice. But the Kahtoolas are lighter and have much more grip than the Stabilicers. Plus the ice screws come out of the Stabilicers at some point- it's inevitable. Once the screw hole is compromised you can forget about it. Lucky they are so good I have no problem buying another set. When I want to use really huge boots like my Ski Doo boots, I use the Stabilicers. One thing I really hate about the Kahtoolas is if you happen to accidentally step on your tip up line, it's getting snagged in the chains without question. Drives me insane.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2016, 07:52 PM »
One thing I really hate about the Kahtoolas is if you happen to accidentally step on your tip up line, it's getting snagged in the chains without question. Drives me insane.
Only happened a couple time but you are most definitely correct. A real pissah as my Boston Brothahs would say.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.