Author Topic: Water proofing spray  (Read 986 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Water proofing spray
« on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Suggestions for products that can prolong the ability of old gloves/hats/boots ability to shed water?

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
Re: Water proofing spray
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Rubber spray or some sort of industrial sealant for water. Guess it depends on how hosed your gloves are.

https://smile.amazon.com/Grangers-Xtreme-Repel-Waterproofing-Spray/dp/B00TUERX1Q/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1475585319&sr=8-11&keywords=water+proof+spray

https://smile.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-265495-11-Ounce-Flexible-Sealant/dp/B00AGZ0MUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475585397&sr=8-1&keywords=spray+on+rubber+sealant+material

I've never tried either of these, I've had the same pair of deer hide mits for 20 years with no issue (knock on wood) - best of luck! :)

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:11 AM »
I would NOT recommend that Rust-oleum Leak Seal product to use on clothing or hats, gloves ect...
It is basically the same thing as the Flex Seal you see in infomercials. Unless you want a mess on your gear, I wouldn't go that route!

I have used the KiWi Camp Dry spray before, with mixed success. I believe it works on some items, but not as well on others! I'm still looking for that magical waterproof product that works perfectly!

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:29 AM »
I would try Nikwax products. I use this brand on all my backpacking gear and have good things to say about it. Depending on the clothing I would try "TX.Direct Spray-On" by Nikwax.

Cheers!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:55 AM »
2x on the camp dry. You need to waterproof your boots and gloves, camp dry is the ticket.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I also have used Nikwax product's. Worked good on my suit did good with gloves as well.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Camp Dry works good but you need to let it air out for a while, especially on clothes, before you use it because it stinks.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Camp Dry works good but you need to let it air out for a while, especially on clothes, before you use it because it stinks.

yep. Now is the time to get that done. Spray it down and leave it outside on a sunny day to dry. It stops smelling after a few days.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Nikwax or Camp Dry?  To be specific, I would use it on the upper portion of old sorrels (nylon material), cotton/poly gloves and hats, and nylon/poly back packs and bags. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2016, 11:06 AM »
For the leather uppers on your Sorrel's I'd use mink oil, it water proofs and helps protect the leather.  I never used Nikwax so I can't comment on that but I'd use the Camp Dry on the other stuff you mentioned.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2016, 11:21 AM »
3x on the camp dry. You need to waterproof your boots and gloves, camp dry is the ticket...on my turkey blind too
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2016, 11:27 AM »
For gloves and hats that are fleece, cotton, polyester, etc... use the Kiwi Camp Dry Performance Protector or the Heavy Duty Camp Dry?  I would think the performance, as the materials are "performance" type fabrics.  As I understand no product can make something that isnt waterproof turn waterproof, just looking to add some ability to repel water to enhance performance and bring back some properties that may have worn off over the years on others.   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2016, 11:33 AM »
For your parka and bibs

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2016, 06:50 PM »
"Ultra ever dry" in think they have some videos on you tube

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:47 AM »
I've been using camp dry also on everything to help. I'm trying starbrit on my Eskimo insulated shack, does wonders on the canvas boat covers going to trying on the shack this year, hopefully it works as well in the winter as it does in the summer, don't see why it wouldn't.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I chose to spray gloves/hats/boots (nylon) with the blue cap Kiwi Performance fabric protector.  I did two applications yesterday, and will probalby do one more later this week.  Letting them dry throughly between application 2-3... so we'll see what happens. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Here is a link to Nikwax http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/productselector/waterproofing.php# I contacted them and clam before use on my suit. Both said go for it. No problems.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Hmmm.  I've always been recommended the Fabric Guard 303 and I don't see any mentions of it above.  Not as good as the Camp Dry?
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2016, 03:51 PM »

I used Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent on my boat cover this past spring.
Still beads real well.
One 10.5 oz can covered the entire cover.

Here's a link -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ7CLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2016, 04:10 PM »
I've been using"Rust-Oleum  NeverWet" .....Works well on fabrics....done my boots and coat..... just easier to find for me.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2016, 04:20 PM »
I use a product called obendaufs on all my leather items. Pricy, but very good product.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:32 AM »
303 is just more expensive so is probably used less by many due to this.....I considered it, but from reading reviews of products did not seem to be any major difference in it from starbrit...which I had experience with working....so....It did take me an entire gallon to coat my giant 8ft by 14ft insulated eskimo pop up with it though....thank goodness you can buy it by the gallon on amazon reasonable. camp dry I use on my boots and gloves...just fast easy application :-) Star bright I just bought a hand spray bottle, next time I'm going to get one of the commercial gallon hand pump sprayers to apply it......
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.