Author Topic: Do battery operated heaters exist?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do battery operated heaters exist?
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Hey guys!! Does anyone know battery operated heaters will work for the bait buckets or I'd they work? I camp out a couple times a year buy a bunch of bait and it's frozen a few times due to the freezing temps. Looking for an idea to help prevent from frozen bait lol.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do battery operated heaters exist?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 08:31 AM »
maybe a bubbler in your bucket to keep it from freezing.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2016, 09:09 AM »
The best way to keep bait from freezing is to keep it underwater, that's how I keep my bait alive in between fishing trips. When I first put out my shack, I drill a hole on the outside that is directly opposed to one of the fishing holes on the inside of the shack. These two holes are only about 4" apart. I then lower my bait bucket, which is slender enough to fit down a 10" hole. This bait bucket has a small rope that I tie off so that the bucket hangs down about 5 or 6 feet underwater. When I want to retrieve the bucket I do it from inside the shack. I have a modified "J" hook that fits down the hole and snags the line. I can then pull up the bucket and start fishing. The nice thing about this setup is that you don't ever have to reopen the original bait bucket hole. You access the bucket from the fishing hole in the shack. 
What you have to remember is that you can't fish with the bucket underwater, otherwise the lines will tangle when you have a fish on. Also you have to drop the bucket back after you are done fishing so that the bucket line doesn't freeze into the ice.
This works great and you can save a lot of money on bait, nothing goes to waste.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2016, 10:44 AM »
maybe a bubbler in your bucket to keep it from freezing.

Bubblers don't work here in NY haha. They were below 0 some temps reaching -35 at night .

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2016, 10:45 AM »
The best way to keep bait from freezing is to keep it underwater, that's how I keep my bait alive in between fishing trips. When I first put out my shack, I drill a hole on the outside that is directly opposed to one of the fishing holes on the inside of the shack. These two holes are only about 4" apart. I then lower my bait bucket, which is slender enough to fit down a 10" hole. This bait bucket has a small rope that I tie off so that the bucket hangs down about 5 or 6 feet underwater. When I want to retrieve the bucket I do it from inside the shack. I have a modified "J" hook that fits down the hole and snags the line. I can then pull up the bucket and start fishing. The nice thing about this setup is that you don't ever have to reopen the original bait bucket hole. You access the bucket from the fishing hole in the shack. 
What you have to remember is that you can't fish with the bucket underwater, otherwise the lines will tangle when you have a fish on. Also you have to drop the bucket back after you are done fishing so that the bucket line doesn't freeze into the ice.
This works great and you can save a lot of money on bait, nothing goes to waste.

That's the only thing I could come up with as well. Thanks for the input!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2016, 11:26 AM »
If you were going to be there before the ground freezes, you could dig a small pit below the frost line, and cover it with an insulated board, like a piece of plywood with foam on it..

Most places 3ft would do it..

Then you would be able to use it once winter takes over..

Another idea.. (more for overnight storage)

Get a small aluminum pan that floats just so.. Put a couple of those 8 hr hand warmers in it and set it in the bait bucket.. Those hand warmers need to stay dry and need to be exposed to the air.. The aluminum will act as a heat sink and pass the heat into the water below..

Also..

Double up your bucket's insulation by setting it on a thick piece of foam and wrapping it up with a blanket.. Anything can help..

Good luck!

<°)))>{

Offline coyotebc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2016, 12:10 AM »
I wonder if there is a battery operated pet water bowl or water heater that would work

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2016, 05:57 AM »
Use the bubbler. BUT wrap the bucket up in a blanket or sleeping bag (if your not in it) AND put one of those dry chem handwarmers next to the intake on the bubbler so it blows warmed air into the bucket instead of frozen.

I get away with just an insulated cooler using warmed air down to -20. I've been thinking about adding a small insulated box for the bubbler that would fit a handwarmer or two but we don't get that cold that often (any more).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2016, 06:16 AM »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/252563266634

12 volt fish tank heater connected to a battery box

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Milwaukee tools make a jacket that is heated from one of their 12V batteries. They are pretty expensive though. Maybe a heating blanket and extension cord. Wrap the bait bucket up like a warm fish taco.
Tight lines

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Hey guys!! Does anyone know battery operated heaters will work for the bait buckets or I'd they work? I camp out a couple times a year buy a bunch of bait and it's frozen a few times due to the freezing temps. Looking for an idea to help prevent from frozen bait lol.
Google small 12v submersible heater and you will find a bunch of them including aquarium heaters.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2016, 12:53 PM »
I use a small cooler for my bait with a aerator to keep the water moving.  I have the same issue, it will freeze at those cold temps that long.  You just have to get something to warm the water a few degrees. 

If you are cooking, small pot of water warmed up a little and slowly put in the minnows to bring the temp up to about 40 degrees will keep the water from freezing and still keep it cold enough to keep them alive.
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.