Author Topic: Almost a year without a smoke!!!!!!!!!  (Read 46347 times)

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
October 31st I will be smoke free 22 years.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm glad this got brought back up........I'd like to be the first to petition leaving this thread in general chit chat, unlike where it got pushed aside to over on MFF....I know of more than a few guys who quit smoking, at LEAST once,  :P  because of this thread. I know it's an easy thing to just go to "off-topic" and find it there, but having it "in your face" all the dam time starts to get to ya... ::)  seriously though, the encouragement guys like Bluefin and Pikeguy passed around,(only mentioned those 2 because they've been on each others' case since day 1  :thumbsup: ) really helps. I'm thinking that if Scott, or any of the mods see that enough of us would rather see it stay here than "lost in the abyss of information" this site has....it'll stay   .02 more from me.. ;D

I'm a smoker, and I sat up one night this past winter, along w/ the 2nd half of a 12 pack and read over 300 posts....laughed my @ss off, got choked up, gained respect for, and got addicted to everything this place has to offer.....it's definately more than just a fishing site......K I'm done now... :P

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
you just quit once, looser, i have quit at least 4 times, you really need to catch up :D

my wife just quit so, i would assume that means smoking for me is going to get real tough, might as well do it, i already don't smoke in the house (quit that last year) and cannot smoke in her car :tipup:

I have quit off an on for the past 2 yrs  but never found the right time to finally give it up for good. This winter was  when the time was perfect, it was just a random evening i had one cig left and smoked it at midnight, the next day I was going up to Bussmans for a week of fishing (it was a tough week on the ice) but I help on and made it through. . I was having trouble breathing, coughing all the time after each cig, w/e NY has been putting in them have been making the cigs more and more nasty. I'm so glad I quit that crap :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline DogTheBowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Congrats to all ya that quit,,my last cigarett was tax day,,I still cheat here&there when drinkin,I'll have a cigar,,I smoked ciggs for 27 years and have no interest in going back,cigars only git smoked when drinkin,,I know I should'nt but it keeps me from the ciggs
"Can't Grill It Till U Kill It"
05"Bowtech Allegiance vxt
Please Support Your Local Pro-Shop

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I was hoping this thread would NOT be brought back up.  I quit for 5+ months and decided I could "have a couple" while drinking.  Bad idea, I'm now back to a pack a day and am really dissipointed in myself!!!!  Looks like I'm gonna have to give it another try.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
Andy Sleeman - Free and Healing for One Year, Four Months, Six Days, 14 Hours and 33 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 30 Days and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8885 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,062.88.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
nicely done Andy!! and dont be so hard on yourself swan it just wasnt youre time yet...you gotta not want to smoke anymore to quit

Offline Higgy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin' and Grinnin'
Big ups to all you quitters. I smoked for 15 years, and quit cold turkey about 15 years ago!  ;D

My father, on the other hand, will take his last puff right to his grave I reckon. The stubborn old Maine Yankee that he is; he refuses to quit and is now battling terminal lung cancer.  :(

No preaching here, but as a former smoker, I have to say that telling yourself you are not ready to quit is BS and that mind over matter is all that matters. YOU DO FEEL BETTER after a while, and it gets easier EVERY day.

Besides all this, my mother says that my father smokes about $90-worth every two weeks. NINETY BUCKS!!!!!

How much sweet ice-fishing stuff could you buy for $90?

Yessir! Kudos to you quitters, and keep up the good work!  ;D
Live Free or Die! Ayuh, LOVE NH!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
Smokers have a hard road ahead when trying to quit. They need all the praise and help they can get from their friends and family to recover from this drug. To show you how some in Maine want to help is by opening an office in Augusta to legalize pot. What's next, cocaine? I want to be healty when I get old so when I retire I can act like a kid again and play.
Steve

PIKEGUY

Well, I think this Friday, the day after my 26th birthday, will be 7 months as a non-smoker for me...and Bluefin if he's still quit. I rarely miss smoking. I can't say that I haven't had a single puff, but it's been about three "puffs" in 7 months and not one has been while sober (or even close to sober)  ;D .  I did start to chew Skoal for a week or two for the heck of it till I realized that I was liking that too much so I dropped it. Glad to hear some of you guys are still going strong!  ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:  We need this in the front of our minds to remember why we quit, why we should quit, and that it's not always easy to stay quit. Let's keep it going guys  ;)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Almost a year without a smoke!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #340 on: Nov 17, 2006, 02:58 PM »
on Feb. 3rd it will be a year!  I can't friggin beleive it!.....now I just have to kick that crack  :-\

PIKEGUY

« Reply #341 on: Nov 17, 2006, 03:00 PM »
on Feb. 3rd it will be a year!  I can't friggin beleive it!.....now I just have to kick that crack  :-\

You haven't had any? Good for you. I've had the occasional drunken smoke but am not a "smoker" anymore  ;)
I have been chewing some kodiak though  :-\

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #342 on: Nov 17, 2006, 03:04 PM »
You haven't had any?
I did on a couple charters after catching some sharks....and that tuna in my avatar was such a battle the whole crew forced me to have one.....but other than that nope!!  pretty psyched.....dude drop the bear...that's even worse :-\

PIKEGUY

« Reply #343 on: Nov 17, 2006, 03:06 PM »
I did on a couple charters after catching some sharks....and that tuna in my avatar was such a battle the whole crew forced me to have one.....but other than that nope!!  pretty psyched.....dude drop the bear...that's even worse :-\

I hear that. Tasty though  ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #344 on: Nov 17, 2006, 05:12 PM »
I've been done since last February. Ya miss em less each day. :D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Nov 17, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Awesome!!! Its been about 6 years for me and i will never go back. Cold turkey, its a b***h but its worth it. Just hang in there!!! You can beat it!!!
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater is the best water!!!!!
« Reply #346 on: Nov 17, 2006, 09:23 PM »
Hey good for you!  Go run up a hill now and then do it again in a couple months.  the difference is amazing.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #347 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:58 AM »
still working on quitting chewing.  I've started and quit 3 times since this post started.  The extra cash is nice when i'm not doing it, though.  To be honest, i just like it too much to quit.  I've never had a problem with craving nicotine, it's just that i love the taste and having something in my mouth all the time!  Oh well, maybe one of these days i'll actually care enough to really quit

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #348 on: Nov 19, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Never smoked, but always trying to get the wife to quit. ::)Brother in law quit last year on the ice and so far so GOOD.I'm sure it's a tough challenge but you'll get though it.CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Nov 19, 2006, 06:32 PM »
I quit for almost 4 years, then I started back up again, but I am going to quit again this winter. Don't know why I started back up, one crazy night at the bar I guess.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #350 on: Nov 20, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Never smoked, but always trying to get the wife to quit.
I suggest she try wellbutrin

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #351 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I'm still smoke free for over a year now. Pretty good for a guy that smoked 34 years.
Here in Iowa our new Governor wants to add a $1.oo per pack tax. Even though I don't smoke I feel this sin tax is just plain wrong. They say it will detour kids from smoking.....I say "It wouldn't have stopped me from starting smoking...it was too cool ."  "$10.oo a pack would not have stopped me from smoking !"

Don't mean to get off subject ..but hate it when politicians hide behind a real problem to raise taxes. :)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #352 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:13 PM »

Here in Iowa our new Governor wants to add a $1.oo per pack tax. Even though I don't
they did it here in Maine......average price for a pack of Marlboro's is $5.50
it's actually one of the reasons I decided to quit  :-\  I agree the tax is wrong, but if it forces even a few people to quit than maybe it's an okay thing..... just my opinion  :tipup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #353 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I have been off of the smokes since February and SD is adding $1.00 a pack 01/01/07.  I don't know what they think they will accomplish. Quitting isn't that tough. I'm married and I've gone without a little lovin longer than this. :o ;D >:D ;)2

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #354 on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:28 AM »
Quitting isn't that tough. I'm married and I've gone without a little lovin longer than this. :o ;D >:D ;)2

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That way You Don't have to worry about smoking afterwards... :whistle:

If we / they were really serious about smoking ....Let's BAN tobacco ...period ! :o

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #355 on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:38 AM »
We were in NY this summer and that smoking ban is awesome!!  I took the kid into a bar to watch a Twins game, something I wouldn't ever consider doing here. 
The only problem with banning tobacco all together is that it would kill the economy.  2 million employees, how many billions in revenue, 20 million quicky marts that rely on cig sales to keep them open. 

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #356 on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:44 AM »
We were in NY this summer and that smoking ban is awesome!!  I took the kid into a bar to watch a Twins game, something I wouldn't ever consider doing here.

I visited some freinds in Ohio back in April....we went to eat at a TGIF and I had to leave because of the smoke....here in Maine you can't smoke in public places....it's the RIGHT thing to do.....look at the stats on second hand smoke related cancer....pretty amazing

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #357 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Kind of like Afghanistan and their opium trade. If banned , it would cause undo stress on their economy.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #358 on: Nov 21, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I wonder what dying of lung cancer does for a persons family. Our federal government subsidises the tobacco industry and then complains about tobacco related diseases. ???

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:00 PM »
I wonder what dying of lung cancer does for a persons family.
my Grandfather died of lung cancer from smoking a pipe for so many years'.....I can tell ya it sux  :'(    that guy was the man  :angel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.