Author Topic: Almost a year without a smoke!!!!!!!!!  (Read 46363 times)

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
I quit smoking a year ago this month. I feel great.
     I had to watch my father slowly die from cancer (lung) Took 6 years. When he found out he had lung cancer, he still didn't stop. He quit the day before he went to the hospital to have 1/4 of his lung removed. 6 years later he died from complication due to lung cancer. He tried 17 different chemo therapies. They only made him sick and nausia. The moment he died was the first time I saw him smile in so long I couldn't remember.
     Some things just motivate you to do what is right. Do you want you kids to watch you die in pain some day??? If not, do something about it. I always say "I see no future in dieing"  so do something about it.
   JK
That is a sad story and im sorry for you and your right no child should have to go through that but theres not to many of us that make it out of this world alive
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
That is a sad story and im sorry for you and your right no child should have to go through that but theres not to many of us that make it out of this world alive
    You just missed the whole point, didn't you.
                                                        JK

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    You just missed the whole point, didn't you.
                                                        JK

Yeah..he missed the point...plus I'd like him to name one person so far thats made it out of this world alive....lost me on that one.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
WOW that was the point NO ONE MAKES IT OUT OF THIS WORLD ALIVE DUHHHHHHHHH AND YES I GOT THE POINT!!!!

Everyone is going to die it just depends on when he wants to take you
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Everyone is going to die sooner or later, just some sooner than later. The choice is up to each one of us and between us and our maker. Why push it. If you really want to go that bad then here is what you do, go to gander and buy you a nice shiney bullet and and put it in the gun and go up on your roof, because we want to do this the right way, Tie yourself to the chimley and the rope around your neck. When you touch off that round and something goes array and the bullet doesnt do the job, the rope is your backup plan. If you are going to do something, do it right. Because hey, you are going to die anyway, and I know you are sensitive enough to understand.
                                               JK

PIKEGUY

7th week. Feelin good ;D

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm still hanging in there. 8 Weeks this Thursday.

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
great work, keep it up fellas
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I THINK I LIKE POSTING IN ALL CAPS.......MAKES IT EASIER ON THE EYES......EH MAC ::)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I THINK I LIKE POSTING IN ALL CAPS.......MAKES IT EASIER ON THE EYES......EH MAC ::)
See any more of those quilly pike bff?  :)  Seriously though, I commend you guys.  I'm 21 and have been chewing since I was about 14.  I tried smoking for a bit, and never really liked it, but chew is terrible.  The thing is that I love it so much and really have no desire to quit.  I can't sit on the ice or in a duck blind w/o a big fat one sitting in my lip.  The wife hates it, but she's starting to get over it.  Anyways, if I ever do decide to quit, how's some of you guys out there quit the snoose?  Any suggestions?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Started a few days after tou guys pikeguy and BFF :) I feel great :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
well ya must have passed it over to my wife cause she just started.the illness must be spreading up to Canada.Maybe i should put her on to you guys and you can talk some sense into her! :( >:(

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
I must commend you guys on quitting. A life time friend of mine just passed away a couple of days ago. He contracted lung cancer from smoking 2 years ago and lost 1 lung. Unfortunately the cancer had spread and after a courageous battle he died in his sleep. The cancer had spread to his brain. He was only 59 years old. He spent all of last year needing a motorized cart just to get around. I am glad you guys are quiting. It is horrible to see someone you know waste away from a very preventable disease. Again congratualtions on going this far without smoking!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

PIKEGUY

I must commend you guys on quitting. A life time friend of mine just passed away a couple of days ago. He contracted lung cancer from smoking 2 years ago and lost 1 lung. Unfortunately the cancer had spread and after a courageous battle he died in his sleep. The cancer had spread to his brain. He was only 59 years old. He spent all of last year needing a motorized cart just to get around. I am glad you guys are quiting. It is horrible to see someone you know waste away from a very preventable disease. Again congratualtions on going this far without smoking!

Thanks adkRoy, Sorry to hear about your friend :'(.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Keep up the good work, you guys that are quitting smoking!  Just think at
around $40.00 + a carton, just think of how much new equipment you will
be able to purchase. Plus, be around to be able to use it.!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm still on board, 9 weeks for me.  I have saved around $400!!!!!!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
I see a vex in your future..... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
I smoked for about 12 years and quit when I married my wife 20 years ago, was the best thing I ever did. I come from a family of smokers. My brother actually had cancer and talked to me on phone one night during his treatment and I could tell he was puffin a smoke! He survived it so far but still smokes the dumbass! I fell off the wagon twice in 20 yrs. once for six months and once for about a yr and a half. Sneaking smokes, hiding the smell etc. but i quit each time . Its hard. But its worth it. I have a smoke free family of four and hoping to keep the kids that way. So my advice is if you fall off the wagon just keep trying don't give up. Good luck great job so far.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
See any more of those quilly pike bff?  :)  Seriously though, I commend you guys.  I'm 21 and have been chewing since I was about 14.  I tried smoking for a bit, and never really liked it, but chew is terrible.  The thing is that I love it so much and really have no desire to quit.  I can't sit on the ice or in a duck blind w/o a big fat one sitting in my lip.  The wife hates it, but she's starting to get over it.  Anyways, if I ever do decide to quit, how's some of you guys out there quit the snoose?  Any suggestions?
Cold turkey. I have never known anyone who chewed that has quit with the patch or gum. I chewed for 25 years and have only quit for the last four weeks. My body continues to go through with-drawals and my teeth are brown. I wish I had all the cash I have spent on that crap.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
I quit after ice out last year.  I was worried that I might crave them again on the ice, that's when I used to smoke the most.  never wanted any once this year, and am glad I'm not littering up the ice anymore.  (I tried, but I always managed to leave some behind)  It was about 14 years for me, and after about six months, I honestly couldn't believe I ever smoked.  I even tried to go back a couple of times when I'd had a few too many, and I couldn't stand the taste.  Don't lose hope.  Anyone can kick it.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I'm saving so much money that I bought a new boat today. Better than watching it go up in smoke. ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

PIKEGUY

I'm saving so much money that I bought a new boat today. Better than watching it go up in smoke. ;D

Congrats on the boat!!! That's awesome! ;D ;D Myself, I bought some sweet new golf clubs. ;)
How is everyone doing with the quitting? Anybody give up?

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
I still have not smoked but I have to admit I will hit the Red Man a time or 2 a day.  Mostly when I'm fishing.  I'll get another ,month or 2 under my belt and quit that also.  I am up in the air on what I am going to buy, I've got $400 bucks in my stash.  Heres what I am thinking about, wait a year and buy a small boat, buy a new pair of $250 waders, wait till I have $1500 and get and AR-15, or buy some gold bars as an investment and put them in my gun safe.  What do you fellas think?????
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

PIKEGUY

I still have not smoked but I have to admit I will hit the Red Man a time or 2 a day.  Mostly when I'm fishing.  I'll get another ,month or 2 under my belt and quit that also.  I am up in the air on what I am going to buy, I've got $400 bucks in my stash.  Heres what I am thinking about, wait a year and buy a small boat, buy a new pair of $250 waders, wait till I have $1500 and get and AR-15, or buy some gold bars as an investment and put them in my gun safe.  What do you fellas think?????

I'd say ditch the Red-man and get all of it.  ;D

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still not smoking, just don't get on the Shanty as often since spring is here. May have to start it up on myfishfinder.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Huge congratulations to all that have toughed it out quitting! Looking at how to spend some cash on yourselves is the best way to congratulate yourself.
Stick with it guys!
 8)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
After 21 pages this might have been already covered here. But the real test in my opinion is when or if your pounding down some nice cold ones with your friends. The two seem to go hand in hand, and when your inebriated, hey, your guards down.

Someday I might consider stopping with snuff, but you have to want to quit first...

All the support on here is really impressive. Think about the extra years you'll have to ice fish by quiting. :thumbsup: I hope all of you succeed.

PIKEGUY

After 21 pages this might have been already covered here. But the real test in my opinion is when or if your pounding down some nice cold ones with your friends. The two seem to go hand in hand, and when your inebriated, hey, your guards down.

Someday I might consider stopping with snuff, but you have to want to quit first...

All the support on here is really impressive. Think about the extra years you'll have to ice fish by quiting. :thumbsup: I hope all of you succeed.

After the first couple cold ones it seems to get easier...And if I drink enough I forget I ever smoked. lol ::)

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
still hanging on :) 2nd hand is gross lol
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

PIKEGUY

still hanging on :) 2nd hand is gross lol

Funny how that works huh? lol ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com