Author Topic: Fishhook Removal ! (from your body)  (Read 2569 times)

esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Fishhook Removal ! (from your body)
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:45 PM »

It may sound crazy, but I prefer the "push through" method. It may be more painful during the process, but the wound heals much quicker with 2 holes to drain from and there's less chance of infection because of the wounds ability to drain. Single hole puncture wounds are dangerous and become infected quickly and easily!

I'll respectfully disagree. 33% of my mishaps have been resolved with an entry wound extraction (one hole). If I had not had the experience I would tend to agree with you but the results, at least for me, were surprising. No infection, no pain, no redness or swelling. Of course, I took care. Plenty of alcohol (the external variety), antibiotic salve and at least a daily soak in Epsom salts for the first three days. After those 3 days you could barely tell where the original puncture marks were.

DO keep your tetanus shots up to date..... ;)2
Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

Idahogator

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:54 PM »

Yes !    And for those that are in doubt ~   EVERY TEN YEARS !   Just tryin' to save  you some pain.      ;)2 :bow:

GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:48 AM »
I'll respectfully disagree. 33% of my mishaps have been resolved with an entry wound extraction (one hole). If I had not had the experience I would tend to agree with you but the results, at least for me, were surprising. No infection, no pain, no redness or swelling. Of course, I took care. Plenty of alcohol (the external variety), antibiotic salve and at least a daily soak in Epsom salts for the first three days. After those 3 days you could barely tell where the original puncture marks were.

I'm a carpenter by trade and work commercial and industrial construction and have had more than my share of single entry puncture wounds (nails, screws, wire, etc.) and I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you. An entry and exit puncture wound is gone in half the time of an entry puncture wound... but to each his own.

I will agree on the tetanus shots though, I keep mine up because of my line of work and because I fish, and work in the yard too. I'm due next year and will get one the next time I'm in the doctors office.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Always keep side cutters in my tackle box.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:07 AM »
pinched barbs = pop right out  ;D

panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:01 PM »
i'm just going to take a moment to remind everyone that although a fishhook is pretty small, if you hook yourself it's still a puncture wound; and therefore much more prone to infection, not just tetanus.

even if you manage to remove the hook yourself, it's always a good idea to have a doctor take a look at it once you're off the water.

esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:29 PM »
i'm just going to take a moment to remind everyone that although a fishhook is pretty small, if you hook yourself it's still a puncture wound; and therefore much more prone to infection, not just tetanus.

even if you manage to remove the hook yourself, it's always a good idea to have a doctor take a look at it once you're off the water.

Check out an 8/0 4x strong treble, especially the barb. You may want to rethink "small". Small as compared to a knife or ice pick or, heck, I don't know.

As far as post wound care. If you're smart about it, got yer shots and take proper care; no doctor, no worries. Been there 7 times, 6 buried past the barb to the bend with 2 thru and thru. Sad to say, it gets easier every time.

Best one was #7. Had some lures hanging around from some overhead lights and extension cords in the basement. Leaned thru a curtain of baits (like 6 - 8) to reach for a paper towel. Grabbed the towel and came back thru without thinking. Snagged one in the top of my ear. Popped straight thru but had to untangle the multi lure mess to get to the one then had to go upstairs with the hook cutter and use the mirror to cut hook.

Oh yeah, a sidecutter wouldn't cut any of the hooks I buried....
Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flags up! Bobbers down!

missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:46 AM »
wait for it ;)

GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Check out an 8/0 4x strong treble, especially the barb. You may want to rethink "small". Small as compared to a knife or ice pick or, heck, I don't know.

As far as post wound care. If you're smart about it, got yer shots and take proper care; no doctor, no worries. Been there 7 times, 6 buried past the barb to the bend with 2 thru and thru. Sad to say, it gets easier every time.

Best one was #7. Had some lures hanging around from some overhead lights and extension cords in the basement. Leaned thru a curtain of baits (like 6 - 8) to reach for a paper towel. Grabbed the towel and came back thru without thinking. Snagged one in the top of my ear. Popped straight thru but had to untangle the multi lure mess to get to the one then had to go upstairs with the hook cutter and use the mirror to cut hook.

Oh yeah, a sidecutter wouldn't cut any of the hooks I buried....

It sounds like fishing is way too dangerous of a sport for you, you should consider taking up something safer... like ping pong.

Out of 55 years of fishing I've only been stuck twice, and I fish a lot.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:07 AM »
No doubt, stepped on a hook when I was two or three, learned a lot that day and still not been past the barb in 40 years...

<)))>{

BlueSail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2017, 07:01 PM »
I used to brag about how careful I was and then within a year I caught a small pickerel right off the boat, yanked him in, he thrashed and got a treble in the fat of my palm and continued his fresh flipping. Finally got him off hook and then did the push thru method, amazing how the point was pushing up the skin without piercing, needed pliers to push it thru and cut. Then, in the semi wilderness in the ADK's alone in kayak ~1 mile from friends camp, caught a big pike. Kind of a newbie kayak fishing and was not prepared...two hooks in two fingers that time with pike still thrashing. Feeling woozy, got pike off and decided I could not paddle a mile with hooks in fingers (big jointed floating Rapala)...no cutters, bit the bullet and yanked out the way they came in, ouch for a week, sucked big time!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.