The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: weather pattern ?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
weather pattern ?
« on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:54 PM »
I was out on my deck 5:50 pm and see a big flock of geese 70 birds flying north in Barre-Montpelier **censored** ?
Glancing at the weather looks promising for NEK ice fishing for a couple weeks.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: weather pattern ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:16 PM »
They know more than the high paid weathermen. I would say its time to start prepping open water gear in the evenings.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:33 PM »
They know more than the high paid weathermen. I would say its time to start prepping open water gear in the evenings.
Hey some of us predicted this warm winter 9 months ago... :)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:58 PM »
So what you are saying is that you caused this lousy winter with negativity last summer? To think I have been blaming Al Gore, but apparently he isn't the only one

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:55 PM »
So what you are saying is that you caused this lousy winter with negativity last summer? To think I have been blaming Al Gore, but apparently he isn't the only one

Well some of us might know more than birds, that's all. But then again, others may think birds know more than us...

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:43 AM »
NOAA reported last week that El Nino is over and La Nina is now in effect.  Winter will be delayed two months.  We'll have ice in April so don't put away your tip-ups yet.  Here in Burlington we have geese year round, lots of open water north of here, too.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:54 AM »
NOAA reported last week that El Nino is over and La Nina is now in effect.  Winter will be delayed two months.  We'll have ice in April so don't put away your tip-ups yet.  Here in Burlington we have geese year round, lots of open water north of here, too.

ice in april... sure would be nice...can i quote you on that ....no wait I already did..ha

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:30 AM »

Here is the one month temperature forecast from NOAA:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/off14_temp.gif

Looks like more of the same... safe ice in April? Let me know how that works out for you. I will be out with the fly rod by then.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:36 AM »

Can we still blame Al Gore for zebra mussels?   ::)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:16 AM »
Looking at the 10 & 15 day forecasts for the Champlain valley, the ice around here is going to get spanked next week...

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:23 AM »
The weather should make ice from tonight through Saturday or Sunday night, but yeah, after that the ice is going to get beat on.  :(

Randy

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:44 PM »
I saw people bullhead fishing from shore this afternoon. I think this is the first time I have witnessed this in feburary. Happy leap year.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:11 PM »
seeing the rile that Lewis and Little Otter Creeks were throwing out the other day I gave the idea some thought myself.

Randy

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:37 AM »
kingsland ice has gone out.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Sad... there were people fishing on it Saturday when I drove by.

Randy

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
weather pattern ?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Whoa near record highs next week starting Tues - one more weekend of ice fishing.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2016, 10:53 AM »
I hit Monkton pond this AM for a quick trip. The edges are soft but the pond was okay. I caught quite a few of the usual small perch and pumpkinseeds using chicken gizzards (yes, another old timey bait).

It was fun, but no keepers and it's very windy- make sure the sled is tied to the shanty and the shanty is anchored really well.

Randy

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I saw people bullhead fishing from shore this afternoon. I think this is the first time I have witnessed this in feburary. Happy leap year.

I had my best day of bullhead fishing yesterday afternoon with my daughter, only difference was mine was through the ice :)  Figure last day of school vaca I'll take her to go chase some flags.  Only one small northern, but I jigged up a dozen pout, two of which I bet were 16"+.  All in 4 hours.  Pout on a 30" noodle was fun! ;)

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Unfortunately since I'm unable to venture out fishing today and it's supposed to rain tomorrow it looks as if my ice fishing season is over for the year.  :'(

I do have the week off, but with temps approaching 60 and rain Monday, and nothing below freezing in the forecast over the next 15 days... safe ice is going to be very hard to find very soon, so we'll probably err on the side of safety and let the boat get wet for us going forward.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.