Author Topic: Fish Trap mod idea  (Read 2312 times)

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish Trap mod idea
« on: Feb 02, 2006, 12:19 PM »
I have read that alot of guys have put ski's on the bottom of fish traps to make them easier to pull in snow and reduce wear on the sled.  I think it would work ok, but what about 2 snowboards on the bottom?  I would think they would sit higher in the snow and make it easier to drag.  Thoughts?  Has anyone done this?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish Trap mod idea
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:56 PM »
I would think the ski's would be easier to pull the sled with.  Guys put the ski's on to have less surface area to drag on.  With 2 snowboards you will be almost as wide as the sled and you will not accomplish anything.  :-\
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:13 PM »
very true icenutter

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Icenutter, I understand your point, but I think that you are missing mine.  A few people complain that even with skis their Fish Trap sinks into the snow, thus making the ski's useless.  With snowboards, you would have the surface area necessary to allow a Fish Trap to ride higher in the snow with less resistance than the sled.  Not to mention the benefit of not wearing the bottom of the sled out.  I'm talking 6 inches or more here, anything less then skis would be preferred. 

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I think the problem with two snowboards would be weight.  The aren't that light by any means, and in my experience, a hard pulling trap in snow is due to too much weight anyway.  I like things as light as possible.  My .02.

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:38 PM »
Traxion - thanks for the input, I failed to consider weight of the boards as a factor.  I've never used a snowboard, so I just assumed they were light.  I guess this idea sucks.  Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:31 AM »
I bought a Sheppell Rover 1.5,it wieghs 64lbs empty and by the timeI get everything in it,it probably goes 110.So I built a sled for it and put 9" high 3/4" conduit runners on the sled to make it pull easier and man was I surprize at how easy it pulled even in 6" of snow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.