Poll

What do you prefer or think is the best sonar out there? Feel free to tell us what you use and why. If other, tell us what you use.

Marcum
146 (42.4%)
Vexilar
134 (39%)
hummingbird
36 (10.5%)
Other
28 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 344

Author Topic: Marcum vs. Vexilar vs. hummingbird vs. other POLL(Lets settle this finally!)  (Read 8819 times)

adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Don't ever touch my rockbass!
What you use and what you think is the best are two different things for most people. Keep that in mind before you say the fl8 is the best.

Never said it was the best. I've just been using it the last ten years and it works for me so I never saw a need to "upgrade" to a different model or brand.

Rockbass...the only fish!
Charter Member of NYRC and MIRC
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994

Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
That wasnt directed at anyone specific, just something for people to consider before voting.

I personally think the humminbird is the best entry level, then marcum lx5 for mid level and marcum lx9 for "the best".. So i voted marcum. I really like my humminbird and lowrance though.

kevs

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Marcum Showdown 5.6. 6 years on both unit and battery and still working great. Easy to read, adjust, and carry. Easily 'sees' baits down to a size 18 ice fly. Only once had issue with interference and that is when several fellas using vex's turned their units up trying to see the ice flies they were using, and by then they were also complaining about the interference. Use it for both hard and soft water.

rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Colin's latest snowball
You guys are something else. Now your stuffing the ballot box.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
You guys are something else. Now your stuffing the ballot box.

Rg
 No were just really bored
  Rp

rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
That....I believe ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie

rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Yugo  ;D

Rg

Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dodge Ram with a Marcum
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Loudmouth879

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I'm bored okay.... :afro:

Time to raise heck on the Oneida threads!  :roflmao:

Coming from a guy who used a Fl-8 for the past 5 years and this year switched to a lx7 the lx7 is the cats meow

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2nd Place Perch 2014 1st Place Per

bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lowrance.. still likin my x67-c.. Ford and Chevy?? HAHA.. Last rides are in a Cadillac..

Jigginforjumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
Where are all the humminbird owners at? Lol vex fl20 for me. No issues at all and battery is at 90 percent when I leave the ice after fishing all day. Can't complain
Hard water, vexilar, aqua vu, and my brother to fish with is my ultimate high.

varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
i have an auger and a jig pole and some tip ups....all this usually finds fish..... ;D

that being said i just bought an marcum lx7 ..havn't got it yet hopefully this week..want to try it on friday for white perch in st albans bay..
marcum seemed to have good reviews from this board and others..

TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beaver Dam's were made for 10" holes.
I run a Bird, but I think that Marcum has the best line up right now.  I just can't afford an LX7, so I'll stick with my ICE35.

Geezer gone Wild

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
I love my Humminbird ice 45. Since it is the only one I've owned I can't shoot holes in the others.

hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i'll commend the team here.  this is how you keep the clicks in the off season. 
Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
If it shows depth, shows your jig, and shows fish, and can block out interference from other units close by they are all good and all you need. That said I own 2 Marcum LX5's. Why 2? Because I was tired of having my wife or daughter take over my LX5 when ever they came with.

hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
owned :
fl8
fl18
vx1
lx5

have used alot :

x67c
flx28
ice35
lx6

The marcums are just the best units i've used.  Teh VX1 was better even than most of the others.  Marcums plastic cases are kind of cheapo though. 

The ice 35 was ok, certainly not as sharp as the vx1.  the x67c was literally useless if there were any other flashers within a 20yd radius of me.  so no thanks. 

the flx28 had a proview ducer which after a week of using, i'll never own (the ducer...the 28 was nice)

my 8 and 18 were also good units that caught alot of fish but the blobbiness and the 18 going bad were what sent me to the dark side. 
Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
I owned a Vex and now use a Marcum.

Both are great units.

Over the years I have seen quite a few other brands in action

Vex or Marcum are the ONLY two units I would ever buy.

good luck all

Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
I placed a vote for other because there will never be a "best sonar" since the competition will forever be tweaking improvements/features.
The hands down best fish finder ever that will always hold that place for ice fishing will have to be the good old hook, line and bait. That is the only locator that will always actually put the fish on the ice ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.