Author Topic: Snow on ice  (Read 370 times)

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
Snow on ice
« on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:58 AM »
We are getting pounded with snow right now, would a foot of snow make 3-4" s of good hard ice totally unsafe? I am debating on going out in this crap but I'm also concerned about the weight of the snow, just curious on your opinion or experience with this. Usually we have 16+"s if ice and no worries this time of year, now it's pretty much 1st ice again.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snow on ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:00 AM »
My thought I go by is , when in doubt stay off

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:21 AM »

What will most likely happen, the weight of the snow will push down on the ice, and water will come up on top.
            It could be very well unsafe until it freezes up again. If you want to try and go out, make sure you have a spud
            work your way out! Good luck!

IW

Fishmon

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:28 AM »
Make sure you wear waterproof boots if you do go out.  Areas around the holes you cut will turn into slush ponds.  Most of all - be safe!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Two other things to keep in mind is the new snow will hide the ice so if there's any bad spots that developed you're more than likely not going to see them.  The other problem is wet snow adds a lot of weight to the ice so if there's a weak spot you stepping on it could be the breaking point.  Now if it's the light puffy snow that doesn't add too much weight but when it starts to melt you have the issues of the wet snow, which is what it becomes, and lots of slush and water setting on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.