The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Small pond fishing  (Read 2084 times)

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Small pond fishing
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I never said they blow.   They are just old technology compared to the newer stuff available.  Just giving information to someone interested in getting electronics.  My wife is still partial to a fl-18 and some of my fishing friends also still use them.  Ask some of the other guys that have updated like clamfarmer and apj, they like the new stuff better.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:46 AM »
Blackie,

Clammie and Bee were the guys who originally sold me on the Troller.  I figured I'd try new technology.

When I had to send it back right away because it didn't work Marcum replaced it no questions asked...but like I said it was a PITA to have to deal with it. 

At first I kinda liked the vertical aspect to it and I used it for a season.

But honestly when you have used something for a long time like I have had my original flasher...I just decided I liked the circular aspect and multicolored display better.....The most awesome aspect of the Troller however was it was light and it was small...the actual usage however left me flat.

I suppose if you always used a vertical display and were used to using it it would be fine...the problem is I had been using the other kind of display for 20 years on the ice and probably more like 55 years on the ocean!  It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks evidently!

So I gave the Troller to my kid.....Then I saw that the VX1 was a circular display like the one I had so I invested a 2nd time in a Marcum.  This one had a problem too right out of the box!   ARRRGGGHHH....Marcum replaced again...no worries...but like I said What the hell?  Everything I buy from these guys gets out of the factory before it it ready? Kinda left a bad taste...(I figure it is like what some people say Ice Gators are like originally).

So this one had some newer stuff like zoom...but I never used any of the new stuff...I just like to turn it on and go fishing like I always have for 50 years.   My buddy invests in an Ice Machine, I think it is a  55 or something?...We both like the awesome colors but the whole package is huge and it weighs a lot and the digital display runs down the battery faster.

I decide that my old flasher works fine after all...I don't need all the extra stuff...I give my VX! to my other kid...I know how to use my old fiasher and I have had enough feedback from using it that I can inherently feel when a fish is gonna bite...many hours of gazing at it I guess...I don't need or want to go through the effort of learning something new not only in how to operate it...but to get where it is almost like a new sense when you can watch the display and in your mind you can see what is happening on the bottom...slight differences in color and movement get directly transferred to your brain.   

My friend after two years still hasn't figured out all the features on the "Tower of Power" Ice Machine, but the colors are swell (blue and white? hell ya!) and the display is large a bright.

My old crappy machine still keeps on ticking, it is good enough for me, in fact it is better for me than new technology because I actually know how to use it correctly...it's like a Timex watch...and I'm an old curmudgeon.... but at least i have some fun and i mange to catch some fish despite the fact that I have supposedly "inferior" equipment.

Like I said ...I'll be happy to purchase any other people's old stuff if they think it no longer services their needs and they have upgraded to better stuff. 

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:45 AM »
My biggest thing is I dislike hand lineing in fish, I like to play them on a rod. Plus actively jigging results in much fewer deep hooked fish. When I do set traps, it's usually just one or two so I can just pick up and move.

Get yourself some Jaw Jackers

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Get yourself some Jaw Jackers

Yea that the plan, I currently have and use a HT ice rigger with a rod, but it doesn't set the hook

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:43 AM »
It's kinda funny to hear the differences,wants and likes that different people have......

My biggest thing is I dislike hand lineing in fish

I actually like hand lining fish.

For me it is just part of ice fishing...even when I jig togue deep on a stiff togue rod...I have dacron on that reel (no stretch)...and after I hook up with a fish...I drop the rod on the ice and hand line the fish in...

For crappie and perch it is different story...I use ultralight stuff and I do use a rod and reel for them through the ice....

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:43 PM »
A lot of small ponds with out a few springs or brooks. Tend to have low oxygen once we get this dense snow cover over all. With no sun light reaching through to the plant life they start to die and reverse the oxygen content of the pond . Then the fish get sluggish  and don't feed as heavy .They kind of go into a dominant state. Wonder if they make a oxygen sensor for a fish finder?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.