Author Topic: Vexilar flx28 or Marcum lx6s  (Read 8438 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar flx28 or Marcum lx6s
« on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:43 PM »
I started a thread a week ago asking between Vexliar fl18 and Marcum lx1.  I am now looking at and trying to decide between the Vexilar flx28 and Marcum lx6s.  If they both cost the same what would be the better unit for fishing waters from 6-40ft of water.  I fish with a friend who has the Marcum lx7 and like the display.  I saw the Vexilar flx28 at Scheels yesterday and a worker showed me the demo mode and different color pallets to chose from.  I think both would be good units but I am concerned with the durability of the Marcum screen since it wont fit in a bucket for transport as protection.  They both come with a soft case as protection but the Vexilar will fit in a bucket to protect if during transport.  What are your experiences in using these 2 units. 

thanks
jr50

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar flx28 or Marcum lx6s
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:49 AM »
I have the 28 and wouldn't ever look back ;D

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:22 AM »
I have a Showdown a Showdown troller  And a lx7 ...the lx7 I bought 2/5/2016 and it worked for 2 hours....All of these finders have been sent back for repairs.......I had a FL22 vex for 2 years and never had an issue with it I sold it Wednesday 2/3/2016 to come up with the rest of the cash for the lx7...wish I would have kept the vex.....good thing I have the other 2 for back up
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:09 AM »
Threads like these turn into Ford/Chevy debates. 

I had the opposite experience as the last two who chimed in.  Problems with the vexilars I've run, no issues at all with the Marcums.  You'll hear more about units that don't work than you do about units that work flawlessly.  Ran a 28 last year and it was a frustrating ordeal.  That thing never worked right for anyone who tried it.  A few years back the same sort of thing with a 20.  In the meantime I was also able to use an LX5 and it was flawless.  Picked up an LX7 this year and that thing has been rock solid as well.  If you get a vex that doesn't crap out on you, you'll be happy.  If you get a Marcum that doesn't crap out on you, you'll be happy.  It's a personal preference and mine is that I won't go back to a vex.  My LX7 can be updated for free.  The way you updgrade the FLX28 is to buy an entirely new unit.  I also intend on running mine on my boat so the graph option was a huge selling point. 

The work around for the bucket issue is to forgo putting that LX6 in a five gallon pail.  Get your hands on a square kitty litter bucket or milk crate.  I transport my LX7 in a milk crate. 

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Threads like these turn into Ford/Chevy debates. 

I had the opposite experience as the last two who chimed in.  Problems with the vexilars I've run, no issues at all with the Marcums.  You'll hear more about units that don't work than you do about units that work flawlessly.  Ran a 28 last year and it was a frustrating ordeal.  That thing never worked right for anyone who tried it.  A few years back the same sort of thing with a 20.  In the meantime I was also able to use an LX5 and it was flawless.  Picked up an LX7 this year and that thing has been rock solid as well.  If you get a vex that doesn't crap out on you, you'll be happy.  If you get a Marcum that doesn't crap out on you, you'll be happy.  It's a personal preference and mine is that I won't go back to a vex.  My LX7 can be updated for free.  The way you updgrade the FLX28 is to buy an entirely new unit.  I also intend on running mine on my boat so the graph option was a huge selling point. 

The work around for the bucket issue is to forgo putting that LX6 in a five gallon pail.  Get your hands on a square kitty litter bucket or milk crate.  I transport my LX7 in a milk crate.

What kind of problems were you having with the 28 and 20?

I have run Vexilars since before they were Vexilar, I believe the first units were SiTech, and have owned 5  units. 1 FL8, 2 FL18's, 1 FL 20 and now the FLX28. All have been flawless for the last 25 years.

I do not work for Vexilar and am not endorsed from them. I have just had Bullet proof units. All my buddies also have Vexilars and I have not seen one with any issues what so ever.

That being said it would be interesting to see what problems you were having with the 28 and 20 ..........

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:14 AM »
IM not saying one is better than the other MY showdowns work great and help me catch more fish...so did the vex ..love them both just more problems with the marcums... I say get what appeals to you more..
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:32 AM »
they all show fish and jig and bottom. just like cars get you around.
i out grew my ice-55 and got sick of the customer service from them. i wanted "more" from a sonar and found marcum digital. flashers are not for me any more. if you like them , then the vex will be fine. some refurbs are available if you want to save cash. if you want to save some cash on the marcum shoot me a pm.
i thought about the showdown, but i want color and said when they make a colored showdown, i'll buy it. the lx6/7/9 are that and a lot more.

you need to know the differences between them to make your desiccion.
i will point a few out.

+the lx6 is digital and not analog.
+this means no moving parts.
+no flashing spinning wheels blinking lights in your face.
+no vibration.
+you can adjust the brightness of the digital monitor. it has a variable brightness of 10% thru 100% for that setting.i use mine on 50 percent brightness most of the time in the day and 20 percent at night.
-vex/flashers can not.

+the lx6 has 6 charts for you to choose up to 4 at one time to be displayed for information.
-the flashers do not.

+the lx6 has 6 color and 4 choices of color palates. one is gray scale for the color blind.
-the vex you chose has 3 or 4 colors.

+lx6 uses an adjustable length arm to hold the transducer only an inch in the water to keep it out of the way and makes landing fish easy.
-the vex/flashers use a swim noodle. it's in the way trying to land fish.

+the lx6 is updateable and free and end user does those updates.
-vex/flashers  can not.

+lx6 draws a razor thin line. easy to show the separation because of it. it's so thin of a line, they offer zoom and you can have both at the same time and they offer target separation adjust to make that razor thin line fatter if you think you need it to. if you didn't use zoom, then maybe it's handy. otherwise, it's not needed.
-vex/flashers do not. it's a big blob of color.

+marcum is a site sponsor!
-vexilar is not.

these are the worst aspects about flashers and the major reasons i don't use them any more.

2 year warranty on marcum.

i'll leave the rest for you to look up, such as power specs and target specs.

these are the main reasons i went with digital sonars. having more brand choices down the road will be nice, but for now, there is only one choice.
if you worry about being rough on electronics then a crate may be something for you to shop for. i don't know. never heard of anyone breaking the display on marcum. mine sets in the flip over or on the bench while pulling it. it would be hard to crack it unless your trying to. the bezel is robust enough. the only way would be to hit the screen with some thing hard.

i can tell you this story. one of my buddies kid (probably in his 40's) took his dads (my 75 year old buddy) showdown and left behind his vex. my buddy some times brings this vex, but either never turns it on or has me set it up and then walks away from it to only return to it to take it home. he keeps saying he'll get his marcum back, but never does.
he has been slowly upgrading his fishing technique. he has bought a fx100 (retired the bucket) recently and had it and his vex on ice the first time yesterday and actually used his vex sitting in his flip. his rods are way too long to fish in a flip and his jigs are old lead vertical jigs that are harder to land fish. he knows he has to upgrade the jigs and rods now too. so he is moving forward now. like i am.

so do you want to settle for analog or move forward to digital. that's the question as i see it. i know i made the right choice. vex was never an option in my choices tho. when they build digital, they will be an option.

never ran out of battery and i fish long days.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Great informative post 3300!
Jig em up!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:07 PM »
if you want a flasher that you simply turn on and fish without fiddling thru menu/screen/features you don't need to mark a fish.vexilar flx28.you  can dim the screen with night/day mode,weed mode is great for shallow weedy water,5 color pallettes to choose from,2 zoom modes,low power mode for depths under 20.its a get it done reliable flasher.some guys like to play around with screen setting/functions but I like to turn my vex on and fish.plus I can fish 2 long days on a battery charge unlike the power sucking Marcum digitals.jmo.

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:24 AM »
The fl-8 se genz does all i need for the lakes i fish on.  Sure the other options would be nice, but they are just options and not totally needed to mark fish.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I own the LX 7 and the FLX 28. When I first got the LX 7, I wasn't impressed. After reading a few posts from 3300 I have my LX 7 set up a little better and now it's not as bad. I keep hearing about how you can update the LX 7 and how great it is ( the reason why I picked one up). What I don't understand is why do most of us have the unit set up in open water mode ( last time I checked I am using mine while ice fishing). There are several other reasons why I don't like my LX 7, Such as carrying case, the depth jumps all the time, the charger doesn't work right out of the box, the screen when fishing out in the sunlight, and so on. I use my FLX 28 about 90% of the time. I have it set up in a Genz box with a swing arm for the transducer, my garmin 78 mounted on the back, a lure lightning, and the new Tri beam Transducer. I love the fact that with vexilar you can choose from 3 different carrying cases, you can use any transducer that they offer, they know how to build a charger that works and the customer service has a ton of helpful videos to watch.
If you purchase the FLX 28 and don't like it I would be happy to trade my LX 7 with you.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:55 AM »
if you are getting the bottom lock moving like you said you are, the auto depth and the bottom your on and the gain adjustment is why. just use manual dynamic and problem solved.
it's in my how to set them up post here
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319913.0

if you read the manual,
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aagv_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-rapala-Library/default/v1448364706251/downloads/marcum/2015_MarCum_LX-6s_LX-7.pdf?id=10
it explains most of your concerns such as why is there an open water mode and why use it on ice. it says it's for shallow water fishing to remove some curve gain is all. you can use it in ice mode too. most fish shallow, so that's my recommended beginning settings to use until you get used to using it.

if your charger is bad, they will give a working one.
i fish in sunlight just fine. if you wear polarized sunglasses and use their sun shield, it will be hard to use. it's an easy fix tho, just remove the sun shield if you want to keep wearing your sunglasses. use the unit so the sun isn't directly on it like you do flashers.

if you want to sell it, give me a pm.

i also own a top of the line flasher and it is so easy to use. i don't miss it at all.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:46 AM »
What kind of problems were you having with the 28 and 20?

I have run Vexilars since before they were Vexilar, I believe the first units were SiTech, and have owned 5  units. 1 FL8, 2 FL18's, 1 FL 20 and now the FLX28. All have been flawless for the last 25 years.

I do not work for Vexilar and am not endorsed from them. I have just had Bullet proof units. All my buddies also have Vexilars and I have not seen one with any issues what so ever.

That being said it would be interesting to see what problems you were having with the 28 and 20 ..........

If those units are bullet proof would you be willing to set them on a stump and blast them with a 9mm?   ;)
Anything mechanical or electrical can ultimately fail regardless of who makes them.  If it's a car, truck, computer, sonar, boat motor, etc....whenever I purchase something like that I just accept that at some point in time they will have their own hiccups.  When it happens with stuff right out of the box it's frustrating.... 

The 20 I had a few years back would intermittently lose contact with a jig and the bottom.  Tried different transducers, different batteries, kept the transducers wiped clean so there wasn't any ice build up...nope, nothing was a permanent fix.  You just had to shut the thing off every hour or so or she'd start going wonky. 

The 28 that a buddy let me use last year was giving him fits so he let me take a stab at it.  That one would lock up every so often.  It wasn't frequent enough where it was unusable but it wasn't what you would expect out of a $600 piece of equipment.  The personal gripe I had with it when it was working is that one of the lakes I fish has a very, very soft bottom.  To illustrate what was going on is imagine the top layer of muck starts 6 feet below the surface.  That layer then goes down to about 20 feet where it thickens slightly but below that it gets watery again.  We've driven pipe down in what is considered 4 feet of water and never hit anything solid until around 85ft.  The 28 would be humming along fine for a few minutes reading a 6ft depth and then it would jump all over the place before settling back to 6ft.  Power setting, gain, etc., it wouldn't eliminate that issue...and yes, it's a weird little lake but that LX5 I referred to was locked in with no problems.  The bad luck with the Vexilars, the way the LX5 performed on that stuff, and the fact that I wanted a year-round unit is why I jumped at a good deal on an LX7.  There's fine tuning to be learned but even on that mucky soft bottomed lake that thing performs splendidly. 

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:43 AM »
I started a thread a week ago asking between Vexliar fl18 and Marcum lx1.  I am now looking at and trying to decide between the Vexilar flx28 and Marcum lx6s.  If they both cost the same what would be the better unit for fishing waters from 6-40ft of water.  I fish with a friend who has the Marcum lx7 and like the display.  I saw the Vexilar flx28 at Scheels yesterday and a worker showed me the demo mode and different color pallets to chose from.  I think both would be good units but I am concerned with the durability of the Marcum screen since it wont fit in a bucket for transport as protection. They both come with a soft case as protection but the Vexilar will fit in a bucket to protect if during transport.  What are your experiences in using these 2 units. 

thanks
jr50

The new LX6s will fit in a 5 gal.bucket if you put it on it's side.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:41 PM »
thought i would pass this along for any one looking for the vex. this is from tony from fish307 himself after asking for any deals on the lx6/7.

good luck and enjoy what ever it is you end up buying!

QUOTE:
Unfortunately our lx6 and 7s are sold out for the season but here is an additional $30 dollar off promo code for our friends on Ice shanty for the remaining FLX28 and fl 18 vexilars we have in stock at FISH307. Use the promo code ICE-SHANTY-VEXILAR to receive the additional 30 dollars off the sale price listed on our website! The promo code must be exact and will show in sale price in your shopping cart. Limited stock is left at this sale price. Good luck with the rest of your ice season and be safe out there!
Tony TEAM FISH307
END QUOTE

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=329795.msg3484360#msg3484360

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:04 PM »
If those units are bullet proof would you be willing to set them on a stump and blast them with a 9mm?   ;)
Anything mechanical or electrical can ultimately fail regardless of who makes them.  If it's a car, truck, computer, sonar, boat motor, etc....whenever I purchase something like that I just accept that at some point in time they will have their own hiccups.  When it happens with stuff right out of the box it's frustrating.... 

The 20 I had a few years back would intermittently lose contact with a jig and the bottom.  Tried different transducers, different batteries, kept the transducers wiped clean so there wasn't any ice build up...nope, nothing was a permanent fix.  You just had to shut the thing off every hour or so or she'd start going wonky. 

The 28 that a buddy let me use last year was giving him fits so he let me take a stab at it.  That one would lock up every so often.  It wasn't frequent enough where it was unusable but it wasn't what you would expect out of a $600 piece of equipment.  The personal gripe I had with it when it was working is that one of the lakes I fish has a very, very soft bottom.  To illustrate what was going on is imagine the top layer of muck starts 6 feet below the surface.  That layer then goes down to about 20 feet where it thickens slightly but below that it gets watery again.  We've driven pipe down in what is considered 4 feet of water and never hit anything solid until around 85ft.  The 28 would be humming along fine for a few minutes reading a 6ft depth and then it would jump all over the place before settling back to 6ft.  Power setting, gain, etc., it wouldn't eliminate that issue...and yes, it's a weird little lake but that LX5 I referred to was locked in with no problems.  The bad luck with the Vexilars, the way the LX5 performed on that stuff, and the fact that I wanted a year-round unit is why I jumped at a good deal on an LX7.  There's fine tuning to be learned but even on that mucky soft bottomed lake that thing performs splendidly.

Thats the first problem I have read about on the FL20. Mine was 7 years old when I sold it and it worked perfect. I have 3 buddies that are still using their FL20's with "0" Issues but there is bound to be a lemon every now and then.

Your soft bottom problem with the 28, were you in the "Auto" range mode or a specific range?

Offline blueroof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I've been a Marcum fan boy for well over a decade.  Still have a fondness for the LX5's level of performance.  Still have the hats and stickers and hoodies.  Marcum was always fairly reliable with a much needed level of customer service, the performance was always awesome.

The digital Marcum units are inferior performance-wise IMO.  The variable depth based gain and signal filtering implementation makes near transducer performance terrible.  Can it be fixed?  Maybe, but considering how long this has dragged on, I'm guessing the kludge isn't as adaptable and will never perform like the simple gain knob.

The vex relies on a simple premise of signal fidelity and bombproof reliability.  The near transducer performance of the flx28 w/ 9 degree crushes the digital Marcum units.  The variable gain of the Marcums  also lends  to noise and plankton "noise" under some conditions.
Little bit more fish water
Little bit more fish stew
I want fish stew
Little more, more
More than all the big fishes do

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:41 AM »
The digital Marcum units are inferior performance-wise IMO.  The variable depth based gain and signal filtering implementation makes near transducer performance terrible.  Can it be fixed?  Maybe, but considering how long this has dragged on, I'm guessing the kludge isn't as adaptable and will never perform like the simple gain knob.

What's that?  I have an LX-7 and haven't found anything about a variable depth based gain in the manual or in previous discussions, unless you are referring to the absence of a return signal at very shallow depths. 

Offline blueroof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:42 AM »
What's that?  I have an LX-7 and haven't found anything about a variable depth based gain in the manual or in previous discussions, unless you are referring to the absence of a return signal at very shallow depths.

Marcum alludes to it in the manuals.  If you look under FISHING IN SHALLOW WATER, it says "We realize it does not seem natural to use "OPEN WATER MODE" when you are on the ice, but making this change will "back off" the gain curve, allowing better performance in certain ice fishing conditions."

The gain curve multiplies a variable to the return signal based on distance from the ducer.  This is similar to how Humminbird implements their 2d sonar gain.  Vexilar has a simple signal out, signal in design with gain applied uniformly over the entire column, much the same as Lowrance implements their 2d sonar.  With a marcum, the processing tries to make the fish look the same at the bottom of the column as at the top.  The Vex shows fish scaled proportional to the distance from the ducer.   
Little bit more fish water
Little bit more fish stew
I want fish stew
Little more, more
More than all the big fishes do

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:56 PM »
I've been a Marcum fan boy for well over a decade.  Still have a fondness for the LX5's level of performance.  Still have the hats and stickers and hoodies.  Marcum was always fairly reliable with a much needed level of customer service, the performance was always awesome.

The vex relies on a simple premise of signal fidelity and bombproof reliability.  The near transducer performance of the flx28 w/ 9 degree crushes the digital Marcum units.  The variable gain of the Marcums  also lends  to noise and plankton "noise" under some conditions.
marcum called me today and told me the shallow water issue is fixed. they haven't had thick ice to have the pro staff beta test it to have it finished for us because of the lack of ice this season. so it is getting closer to final release.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2016, 01:10 PM »
BS

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:06 PM »

if you want a flasher that you simply turn on and fish without fiddling thru menu/screen/features you don't need to mark a fish.vexilar flx28.you  can dim the screen with night/day mode,weed mode is great for shallow weedy water,5 color pallettes to choose from,2 zoom modes,low power mode for depths under 20.its a get it done reliable flasher.some guys like to play around with screen setting/functions but I like to turn my vex on and fish.plus I can fish 2 long days on a battery charge unlike the power sucking Marcum digitals.jmo.

lol. 

you simply turn on and fish without fiddling thru menu/screen/features

you  can dim the screen with night/day mode,weed mode is great for shallow weedy water,5 color pallettes to choose from,2 zoom modes,low power mode

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:20 PM »
I see you have a lot of  valuable input/info.this is my last post on anything vs anything.just turns into pissing matches anyhow. new guys looking for info/opinions about different brands and all they get to read is members fighting back and forth.screw it.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:32 AM »
you literally said in 1 sentence that you turn it on and fish without settings and features you don't need and then the next sentence went through all the settings and features that the unit has. 

you can't find just a little humor in that?

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:40 AM »
I ended up going with the Vexilar Flx-28.  I had it out yesterday and fished from 6-15ft of water.  I had no problem getting the clutter cleaned up on the display in low power mode.  I am happy with my purchase and cant wait to get it out and try it some more and try it in deeper water to put the zoom to use. 

Jr50

Chute82

« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I ended up going with the Vexilar Flx-28.  I had it out yesterday and fished from 6-15ft of water.  I had no problem getting the clutter cleaned up on the display in low power mode.  I am happy with my purchase and cant wait to get it out and try it some more and try it in deeper water to put the zoom to use. 

Jr50

I'm a little jealous, still using my 15+ old vex FL-8.... I spent already to much money this season on stuff that my wife is starting to give me the stink eye. 

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:42 PM »
I'm a little jealous, still using my 15+ old vex FL-8.... I spent already to much money this season on stuff that my wife is starting to give me the stink eye.
They sell a cable you can put on any transducer to lower the power on the FL-8 and other flashers.

Chute82

« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Yeah I know..never needed the cable because I usually fish 15ft or more

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:08 PM »
so that suppression cable is to cut power down to 50% on the fl vex's. some already have low power tho. like my buddies fl12. turn it to the left and it's low power in 20 foot range. the lines are huge tho.
those cable must have a resistor in them is all. would be easy to build if you knew which resistor it has in it.

Chute82

« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:16 PM »
so that suppression cable is to cut power down to 50% on the fl vex's. some already have low power tho. like my buddies fl12. turn it to the left and it's low power in 20 foot range. the lines are huge tho.
those cable must have a resistor in them is all. would be easy to build if you knew which resistor it has in it.

It's $20 for the reduction cable.  The fl-8 don't have a low power switch.  I have never had the need for it in all the years I have been using my fl-8.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.