Author Topic: Clothing: floating vs sinking--what are your thoughts?  (Read 17105 times)

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello friends. I have always heard that heavy winter clothes will actually help you float by trapping air, instead of dragging you down by absorbing water (of course i'm talking about normal heavy duty winter wear, not specialty ice and striker suits). I have always been a little skeptical of this; it seems to me that clothing that is not designed for water repulsion and with heavy insulation would instead absorb water, adding weight and making it much harder to pull yourself out. I wan't to hear what you guys have too say, especially if you have first or second hand knowledge. Have you fallen through? And if you have, did your clothing help you float or drag you down? What kind of clothing was it: general cold weather wear or specialty ice suits? Thank you guys. I always wondered about this and I couldn't find any good info anywhere. I have always bundled up in a standard heavily insulated winter coat and bib with multiple under-layers and I wan't to have the knowledge in my head of what to expect if I were to fall through.   

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Re: Clothing: floating vs sinking--what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2016, 10:28 AM »
These videos will show you exactly what to expect:

This video will explain the shock and panic when you first go through the ice and what to do to overcome it and get out of the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA

This video will show you the difference between a floating suit and non floating clothing and how the latter absorbs water and pulls you down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAwzPgRYOI

If you'll watch and listen to these videos carefully, you'll see why floatation is important when out on the ice.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2016, 11:53 AM »

This video will explain the shock and panic when you first go through the ice and what to do to overcome it and get out of the water.

This video will show you the difference between a floating suit and non floating clothing and how the latter absorbs water and pulls you down.

If you'll watch and listen to these videos carefully, you'll see why floatation is important when out on the ice.

This is very good! I have seen the first video, but not the second. It is very helpful and enlightening. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Panic is the key, stay calm!!

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Mainly, I'm concerned with clothing: does heavy winter clothing (not specialty ice safety clothing) trap air and help with flotation or does it drag you down due to water absorption? GCD's links were good. Everybody should watch those. Keep it coming guys!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:01 PM »
If you go in with carharts, you better be out within a minute or have your life insurance paid up, they are warm and tough, but that's where it stops!!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Here's video of people going through the ice that isn't rehearsed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x10xdJ-is9U

Watch the first guy that goes in (red cap) struggles and how he becomes lower and lower in the water (just like Dr. Giesbrecht in part 3 safety video above) until he's rescued at the very last second. It doesn't take long at all for your clothes to become filled with water, as the water flows in it will push any trapped air out through the neck of your clothing, and you can't wear your clothing tight enough around your neck to hold the trapped air in without strangling yourself.

That video is a cluster flock of things NOT to do when someone goes through the ice, the people that went through are real lucky that there were that many people around to help.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:48 PM »

Watch the first guy that goes in (red cap) struggles and how he becomes lower and lower in the water (just like Dr. Giesbrecht in part 3 safety video above) until he's rescued at the very last second. It doesn't take long at all for your clothes to become filled with water, as the water flows in it will push any trapped air out through the neck of your clothing, and you can't wear your clothing tight enough around your neck to hold the trapped air in without strangling yourself.

That video is a cluster flock of things NOT to do when someone goes through the ice, the people that went through are real lucky that there were that many people around to help.

Wow. That is scary but a good dose of reality.  It's also a great example of why you should always wear your creepers!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:01 PM »

Obviously those people in California know very little about ice, as you don't run to the edge to help!!  Amazes me how many did it, one way to thin the herd!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:18 AM »
i'm here to tell you float suits do save life's. it saved mine. i was in and out in less than 15 seconds. most of that time was figuring out what just happened and what to do next. doing it was easy. i came out with a broken rod in my hand still after rolling away from the bad spot and checking for damage. i wanted to keep fishing, but my boots kept filling with water, so i called it a day. the other 30 people kept fishing.
it makes you sit up higher in the water so self rescue is easy. it keeps your head from going in the water so you don't drown from gasping the water in and so you don't hit your head on the ice if you don't come straight up because you never went that low to be able to get caught under the ice. if that should happen, try not to panic and put your feet on the ice and kick towards the bottom while looking for the hole you made to come back up thru.
i had my arctic armor parka on and insulated jeans and a poly base shirt and fleece hoodie so you have the rest of what was worn.
in that same scenario, i would guess the non float person would have gone under fully and maybe lost in the swift current that made the ice weak in that one spot. maybe gasp the water in too.

i think the ones that couldn't save or the ones who wore street/work clothes on ice and fell in can't talk to you right now. maybe in the next life they can. it should depend on how they try to get out and how long it takes and if they gasp water and if they can keep their head above the water falling in.

i think any one who hasn't fallen in will be shocked at how fast we fall. there is no time at all to think while it's happening. you might think, well i can just spread my feet apart to slow down the decent in water or just pull my arms apart to stop the fall when my arms hit the ice.
it takes a second to disappear.

i think at times how it may have been different if i had the bibs on too. it was 50's out and we all were planking the shores and i forgot my bibs, but went any way.

i wouldn't think of it as how long until your clothes absorb water as much as how light will you be when you penetrate the water. do you want to be a stick or a leaf is how you should look at it. a stick will come back up a leaf will not go under for a long time and never punctures the surface fully.

i'm not sure why you started this topic, but if you want to know if you should buy an ice floating suit, then the answer is absolutely yes. and they are on sale at our sponsor sites. no better time than right now to act before it's too late!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:30 PM »
I would rather float than sink...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:14 AM »
i don't see the problem here.

if you ca get a suit that can float. why not get it. why save a few dollars and be unsafe. that extra little bit of security is a good thing. i sill would not count on it 100% all the time but that small amount extra for safety is worth all the extra dollars.

i own the striker lite ice bibs. ( not much lite about them) but the piece of mind is nice to have a just in case emergency. plus we always have a throw rope. or i bring my 80' wakeboard rope and handle.

my problem is i worked in the snowboard industry for over 22 years. so lets say my winter clothing selection is huge. a new winter outfit every year. plus working as a sales rep samples tend to pile up if you don't sell them.

if i could get ride of every winter item i own. i would purchase a striker climate suit.

best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:28 AM »
I fell through the ice in 15' of water with regular winter clothes. The pants and long johns very quickly became so heavy from the water it was very hard to get your legs up to the surface. Also the boots which very quickly filled with water also kept me from getting my legs and feet up to the surface. Another ice fisherman came to pull me out. The rope I had in my ice sled is what was needed to get me out. After this experience I bought a Striker float suit and I have life preservers for all others fishing with me. If I was there by myself that day I'm sure I would not have survived. Buy the float suit or at least buy the floating bibs and use a life preserver.

Chute82

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2016, 01:15 PM »
5 years ago my buddy and I went ice fishing, we where out about 300 ft from shore on 7" of ice in 20 ft of water.  My buddy and I where sitting about 20 ft apart catching fish.  My buddy was releasing a fish and when he stood up from his chair he went straight through the ice.  It was like the ice just swallowed him, I ran over layed flat on the ice and grabbed him.  Next thing I know I'm swimming in the water and the hole opened up to about 8 ft.  I swam to the other side of the hole used my picks and got back on the ice.  My buddy was struggling to keep his head above the water, I dumped the sled and slid it to him, he grabbed on and I drug him out onto the ice.

I am 5'10" 180 lbs in pretty good shape, Did 10 years in the Airborne infantry, I was wearing my US Army issued Gortex Suit, US Army issued PolyPro long underwear, and Mickey Mouse boots. 

My buddy is a year or two older then me about 5'9" 260 lbs. he was wearing a hunting outfit mostly made from cotton or synthetic fibers and hunting boots.  His outfit soaked up water quick making it very difficult to swim and could not get back on the ice. 

I wear a life jacket now and rope in the sled.  Going to get a striker hardwater suit in the near future

Offline 46r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Strange that 7 inches opened up that way, but I can visualize Chute82's story.  I hit a ridge with my ATV a couple weeks back that looked solid ... not.  Fortunately, I was just a few feet from shore and the machine just climbed out.  A friend of mine wasn't as lucky as me ... His machine made it across the ridge but he lost some equipment.  Putting those events together was enough to wake me up.  I went home, researched floating gear ... Striker on the way.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Strange that 7 inches opened up that way, but I can visualize Chute82's story.  I hit a ridge with my ATV a couple weeks back that looked solid ... not.  Fortunately, I was just a few feet from shore and the machine just climbed out.  A friend of mine wasn't as lucky as me ... His machine made it across the ridge but he lost some equipment.  Putting those events together was enough to wake me up.  I went home, researched floating gear ... Striker on the way.
                      I bet that 7" was honeycombed, as 7" clear blue(no bubbles or air) will they say hold a car, yours of course not mine!!    First ice 7" thick will hold a lot, last ice 7" will not hold near as much!!

Chute82

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:59 AM »
There where other guys fishing the lake that day my guess is my buddy set up on some bad ice.  The lake we where fishing gets a lot of snow from lake effect coming off Erie. So the bad ice gets covered by the heavy amount of snow.   We laugh about it now looking back and my buddy refuse to ever fish that lake again.  That day he was going to go fishing by himself and I joined him at the last minute. 

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:11 PM »
I got myself a Mustang worksuit a few years ago and never looked back. It's awesome, not only does it keep you afloat and warm if you go through, but it keeps the wind, rain and cold out when you are on top fishing as well. My friends will be freezing their butts off on a cold day and I'm toasty warm! You can buy just a float coat instead if the whole suit is too much. I've jumped in the water with it on before and you float right up by the surface. I do a lot of work on the ice too (fisheries biologist) and it's my go-to.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:35 AM »
just purchased a striker hard water suit. Won't have it for this season but when I put it on and  jump in the pool this summer i'll let you know how it works. ;D ;D

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I'm 60+yrs. Been through often, 3 times in 8 f o w +. Once mid 1970s with full wool suit lucky my buddy had my back, maybe 30 seconds before I was water logged. Twice in the '80s with the old quilted nylon snowmobile suits. Had a bit more time with those but without home made ice picks wouldn't have made it. IF, big IF you do make it you still have to survive hypothermia, just as deadly. I've had a Striker Suit for 4 yrs now. Outstanding piece of equipment. Well made, bullet  proof. Excellent design, zippers, vents, access. Comfortable, not restrictive. Warm, wind proof, essentially waterproof. Can sit on a bucket sub zero in a breeze in comfort, no shanty required. We all know they float, I had to know if they improved my odds with hypothermia when soaked. Gave it a shot under controlled circumstances. Hell of a jolt but at +20F after 20 minutes i'd had enough, but no sign of hypothermia. Bottom line they're worth every penny. I assume other brands are just as good. I happen to have Striker 'cause thats what the wife bought as a gift. Get one or another brand. Fish in comfort and come home alive.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Not through the ice, but went overboard from a boat in late fall at night!
I was wearing a heavy jacket and under it a wool sweater and a poly top, lined insulated jeans, and hunting boots.
I went in backwards, didn't know which way was up or down, made a few strokes and popped up by the boat which I immediately grabbed on to.
Apparently the jacket and pants had enough air trapped in them to float me for a limited time, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it once it got waterlogged!
I now have a Striker hardwater jacket that I will be wearing, still won't replace a life vest, but the added security is a big plus.

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2016, 04:54 PM »

i think any one who hasn't fallen in will be shocked at how fast we fall. there is no time at all to think while it's happening. you might think, well i can just spread my feet apart to slow down the decent in water or just pull my arms apart to stop the fall when my arms hit the ice.
it takes a second to disappear.

I had a similar experience.

At the beginning of smelt season last December,  I was fishing on the river instead of the other shanty town across the bay in the wharf. Well nature called,  so I walked out towards the bank about 30 yards away from the crowd. How stupid was I. About 2 meters from where I was going to go by the dock by these giant metal erosion panels and half my body just went through the ice before I had time to blink. t just so happens I fell backward and not forward, but I was still a whole leg and half a hip in the water with my other knee by my head. I was very very lucky.
Bear in mind its really deep 15ft+ or more depending on the tide and there's a large saltwater bay 1 klick from where I was. I The tides are powerful and the ice nearest the banks and objects is very weak even if it did freeze 24 inches.

Guys, if you have to piss, do it in a spare hole in your shanty, do it outside your shanty, or go in a 3 liter bottle unless you want to get washed out to sea.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I was trained in the fire service to deal with being submerged in water with my fire gear.  We were taught to tuck our knees into our chest to create an air bubble to help remain buoyant.  This does help but also keep in mind that there is a team of firefighters standing by (a R.I.T. - Rapid Intervention Team) ready to go help if something goes wrong along with all the other Firefighters working at the incident so our time in the water will be limited.  When it comes to being submerged in water while ice fishing, you are going into water that's near freezing so you have the shock of the cold water hitting you.  One thing that happens as a result of the cold water hitting you is you involuntarily take in a deep breath which is not a major concern for Firefighters in a structure fire because we have air packs on and the water we're using will be warmer because of the fire.  Another thing to keep in mind is both turn out gear and heavy winter clothes will absorb water which will add weight along with trapping water inside.  The rate the water is absorbed depends on the material and even if it's at a slow rate at least a little water will still be trapped inside the clothing.  Until last year I never had a float suit and didn't give it much thought.  Last year I found a good deal on a Striker suit at Fish307.com and made the investment and I'm happy I did for the added peace of mind.  The thing to remember is no suit can replace being smart and not pushing your luck on unsafe ice, sure it gives you added protection but safety starts with not pushing your luck or doing stupid things.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Thanks Chris that's so true
 Other factors to figure in , age- health and time spent in ice water , , my bud who is a rep for striker talked me into a suit , I spend a lot of time fishing by myself as I'm retired and most all my buds are still working and 1 of our lakes has many gas holes
And a spud never hurts to carry along

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Striker suite is a piece of mind for me, fortunately I have never been it the position of an accident but I believe it is going to help. 
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:47 PM »

This series of safety vids should be a sticky - that Winnepeg Doc was awesome to watch - scary but awesome to learn from.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2017, 12:53 AM »
I'm the type of guy who's body mass sinks in water.  Straight up I wear polyester fabric, compression sports clothing under, polyester fleece, then winter clothing.  I use to tuck trousers and laced up boots, but no more.  If you fall in, that will just be like waders that takes on water.  The struggle to get out is so much harder.

In general once out, you should get out of wet clothes.  However in freezing temps, way more important to keep insulation.  I did walk back to my car with an iced shell and all I could think was the stupid water in my boots with gortex lining.  I didn't remove wet clothes until I had a warmed up car.

Floatation suit or life vest all the way.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Have any of you had experience with just the flotation bibs on?? Was wondering if those would work by themselves...as many times I don't wear a heavy jacket while fishing.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:40 AM »
For years I wore Cabelas expedition down jacket and bibs. Always kept me warm and over time decided that having a flotation suit would be better. I bought an Arctic Armour suit and the first year ended up saving someone who fell in and had on just a snow mobile suit. He was clinging onto the edge and couldn't get his feet up enough to pull himself out. That suit lasted 6 years and finally was falling apart so I bought a new Striker Climate coat and bibs. Nice outfit and certainly an improvement over the AA suit. Much heavier in weight but is warmer so that trade off is OK with me. I ice fish almost every day and won't go on the ice without my striker suit and picks around my neck.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Thought it may be usefull to add an update to this. My Striker suit is now about 5 yrs old. Has had a lot of use and except for some minor scuff on the legs as good as new. Zippers, buttons, seams no faults period. Expensive at the time but well worth it. works out to less than $100 a year for comfort & security with no end in sight. For the suit that is! Looking like it'll be part of my estate!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.