Author Topic: Going It Solo - Do You?  (Read 3518 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Going It Solo - Do You?
« on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:04 PM »
The group of guys has slowly fallen apart - Some are drunks, some got married and some just lost interest/ambition. I find myself chasing my passions alone. Ice fishing being one of them. If I waited around for guys to do things, I would not do them at all. I am NOT about to let that happen!!

That said I am driving 195 one way miles to safe ice in the Adirondacks this Friday. Then 195 back home. Just me, the lake and the solitude! And I could not look more forward to it!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Going It Solo - Do You?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:08 PM »
this is a great time to pass on some of that vast wisdom,youngsters are all around you. .....and you need new friends to boot. WIN_____WIN !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Sweet!  Never let others drag you down.  I do long road trips alone many times. Both ice and open. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:12 PM »
I fish solo most of the time. Heck I even prefer lakes with fewest houses on them. Tomorrow may test my Witt's tho. Warm weather, rain and thin ice will keep me on my toes..

Offline Jimbo911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Meet some new people to share your hobbies with. There is always going to be people that still have the desire to fish and hunt like a mad man.  Only in my early 30's but I'm always meeting new people everywhere I go. Some I continue to talk to and some I don't.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Been going solo for a number of years. If you understand how to read ice, are prepared, use your head and think safety first there's little problem with it. Also became tired of those I went with, know many of those on the ice on sight so info trading is not a problem among the old timers where my "FREINDS" relied on me to put them on fish. Complaints became too much to tolerate after awhile.  Actually prefer the solo approach, have a tendency  towards experimental presentations that never went over well with them, especially when they weren't catching fish the traditional way.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Solo is good when you feel the need for peace and quiet - I'm not saying that the "guys" are or are not a bunch of "plugs", but you don't have to listen to complaining, crying, and general useless conversation - when you are ready to go home, you go - you don't stay to the very last because of catcalls about being a " pansy", or the last fish to be caught after you left - my way of fishing for sure
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:45 PM »
- you don't stay to the very last because of catcalls about being a " pansy",

I usually have the opposite problem.  Others wanting to leave way b4 I'm ready to go- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I used to go with the guys some 35 years ago, always the same result. Some were late, some were broke, some were so hung over they messed the car up  :%$#!: I thought it would get better when I started hunting and fishing with my father-in-law but it didn't, he was a broke alcoholic ???

Now 90% of the time I go alone and the rest of the time my wife comes with, works for me.

WS

Tinker

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:53 PM »
I go solo all the time, ice fishing, boat fishing, back packing and back country elk hunting.  Do you homework and be prepared.  You are on your own and expect to get yourself out of whatever might come up.  Enjoy the solitude and let some one know where you are going and when you plan to be back.  Most of all like I said earlier "be prepared" and if you get into a situation don't panic.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:57 PM »
I go solo all the time, ice fishing, boat fishing, back packing and back country elk hunting.  Do you homework and be prepared.  You are on your own and expect to get yourself out of whatever might come up.  Enjoy the solitude and let some one know where you are going and when you plan to be back.  Most of all like I said earlier "be prepared" and if you get into a situation don't panic.

Good words Tinker - I also do a lot of camping and hunting alone. It requires a lot of good concentration and planning. Those two things make me better at whatever I take on...

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:00 PM »
I usually fish with a buddy I've been fishing with for over 20 years.  The times he cannot make it I will go by myself whether night or day.  As long as I know the ice is safe an have some knowledge of where I am fishing I do not mid going alone.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:04 PM »
solo...I'm retired..Go when I want, where I want. Got tired of waiting for no shows, gotta leave early, on the phone all the damn time checking in with ?? who knows, hungry, tired, cold, list goes on.. I live on a lake so it's easy for me to go when I want. Striker Suit, picks, and spud..

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:06 PM »
My hard water buddies from back in the day are either dead, too stoved up by age, have other hobbies or are too hen pecked to go any more.

So I go by myself now.  I can leave home and return when I want, stay out as long as I want and fish where I want.  I'll sometimes rent a cabin at a State Park for a couple nights.  No internet, no phone, no TV and no noise.  Plus the solitude of the lake.

I make sure to have my self rescue gear and NEVER go out on less than 8" of ice.  If you make smart choices you can stay safe out there.

I like it.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:17 PM »
We have a group of guys from back in the day when we were all young and party animals that get together a couple of times each winter. Gosh we have fun. I miss those guys, but we are separated by most of Montana's miles, so I go alone a lot. One thing I learned a long time ago was you better be careful about who you invite to your honeyhole! The next time you go you may just find half a dozen people you don't know lead by the one "friend" you took last week! That sucks! I decided way back that if I wanted to go, I should go whether anyone wanted to tag along or not. Some of my most memorable trips have been solo. I do try to keep an eye out and make sure there is someone around when I leave just in case I would have trouble. Safety is important when you're alone. You have to pay attention, so you don't sleep with the fishes!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:21 PM »
I use to but I haven't  in the past 6 seasons... :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:24 PM »
I'm a 70/30 mix. Most of the time I head out by myself, as I live 2 minutes away from a few lakes. I also like the ability to leave after a few hours if I want too, and not worry about abandoning my fishing parter. The other times, it's with my brother or cousins. I generally have a better time with them, but it's harder to set up a time to meet.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:26 PM »
After reading these replies I sort of sat back and reflected and do miss being on the ice with the "guys"....Beer cans all over the place.... The b***hing and arguing over mostly nothing..... The competition. Oh well. I am still here and they know how to reach me!

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:37 PM »
In my mid-50s now. I used to work shift work at a local mill so most days off were during the week. I fished with a few coworkers but they were always drunk so I wouldn't hunt with them. I've always hunted alone and did much better than most. I soon fished alone too. I moved away for a few years in the 80s and knew no one when I returned. I still do my hunting and fishing alone and prefer it that way. I like the solitude and like moving/staying when I want. I've never run into any problems either. Just have to be smart about it.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:37 PM »
4 or 5 years ago I was going out a couple times a week alone. Really liked fishing late Feb. and early March. The last few years only go out with family or friends on weekends. Due to ice conditions the last two years that hasn't been very much. This year has been a bust but to be honest I don't miss it all that much...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:54 PM »
I am in the same boat.  I usually hunt and ice fish solo.  I have had a few friends complain about my being a "go getter", but I think it is because I hate frittering around.  I usually tell my friends that "when the tailgate drops, the bullcrap stops".  I like to have fun and go out of my way to help people out, but if you are going to spend the time and money fishing/hunting, make sure you put forth your best effort.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Almost always.  Occasionally my 12 year old will tag along but all the other guys I used to ice with have gotten out of it.  The only time I'm uncomfortable being out alone is on early ice with nobody else on the lake.  Spud, Striker Coat, picks and common sense haven't failed me yet but it can be unnerving.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Solo is good when you feel the need for peace and quiet - I'm not saying that the "guys" are or are not a bunch of "plugs", but you don't have to listen to complaining, crying, and general useless conversation - when you are ready to go home, you go - you don't stay to the very last because of catcalls about being a " pansy", or the last fish to be caught after you left - my way of fishing for sure

I haven't quite figured out just yet how being from NJ you manage to fish with the same guys I do  ;D, but the situation sounds awfully similar.

most of the time when I go on the weekend it with my pops, and one of his buddies. Missed out on a lot of that time during my late teens and twenties while I was off "having fun" getting arrested and what not, either way that's a whole other thread! I enjoy being able to be out with him now that I've got my act together!

on the flip side the old man is set in his ways, and the same goes for the other guy! and neither of their ways are the same if ya know what i'm getting at! it's like the movie grumpy old men to a tee! so on Fridays after work, or during the week, its just me and the quiet commotion that is my life out on the ice all by ourselves, and it suits me just fine.

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:17 PM »
I actually prefer it that way . I can come and go at will and been pretty lucky talking to people I don't know. Never a stranger ice fishing.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Great thread. "He who travels fastest goes alone." Most guys my age are at work during the week when I like to fish. I have met several older retired guys on the ice that are cool at first, but end up wanting to be my daddy. No thanks. I like to try different areas and lakes and use different techniques to get the fish to cooperate. Most guys I know want to go to the same lake and fish the same holes even. I like to look at a map and find the same structure that everyone else fishes, but in a part of the lake that is untouched. Something satisfying about finding a honey hole on your own. I do enjoy getting together with my Utah Shanty members a few times a year and have a blast doing it. Day to day though, I pretty much go it alone.

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:43 PM »
I have no problem going alone.  I also have 2 excellent kids that will go if the stars are aligned just right....lol

Fortunately I have a couple GOOD buddies that do what they say they will, show up on time(or close to it), carry their share of the load.  We all take turns driving and bringing food. 

We have been hungover but, never to hungover to fish!  Is that even possible?  Must be light weights!

Gotta go, I am thirsty for a beer.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I solo most of the times. No since in letting unreliable fishing buddies keep you from going. :-\
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:00 PM »
Work night shift so fishing during the week is solo when I'm off.  I've learned how to do a lot of things being out by myself.  Only a couple of my female friends like to fish but our schedules just don't click for outings so if I go with someone its usually my friend's boyfriend if he's off.  I think I see him more than her!!   ::)

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Been fishing solo for years, but now I have grandsons to take with me.

By the way Mono Mono what lake are you talking about that may have safe ice? Wouldn't mind driving up myself. What kind of fish are you looking to catch? Any panfish?
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I'm fortunate in that my father recently retired and has been out with me every time this season. But I have been going solo in recent years. I'm at the age where all my buddies are married and having kids-getting them on ice is like pulling teeth ;D I just try to be as prepared as I can-picks, spud, and I always let someone know where I'll be fishing roughly. Can't be too carefull especially with the weather we're having in VT this week!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.