Author Topic: craik??  (Read 1945 times)

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
craik??
« on: Jan 28, 2006, 10:16 PM »
Anyone heard how the fishing is at craik.  Heard winterkill. Is it true?
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
Re: craik??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:06 AM »
anyone know ANYTHING- anyone catch fish there last spring/summer?  Someone has to know something.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2006, 01:42 PM »
 Frustrating when you see your post has been viewed 300 times with not even one pity reply eh? It's been the story for me too. I personally have never been to Craik lake? myself and I'm a little hesitant to try for some reason. A friend of mine and his cousin fish Craik lake/reservior often during the summer and claim to have really good success for Pike and a few "Pickerel" (I hate when people who have been fishing for 40 years still call Walleye a Pickerel. I like to play ignorance, bet them money that there are absolutely no Pickerel in the lake their fishing and then break their spirit with the facts sheet. They still never change their ways, so I start refering to Pike as Bass in their presence.)
 How big is Craik lake? How deep?
 Winterkill from lack of oxygen or extreme icing shouldn't be an issue with the weather this year if the lake has any substantial depth to it and a good in/out flow of water. I think fishing is tough all over this winter from what I'm seeing and reading here. I assume there is lots of food for them, it was a really good year for baitfish and crayfish anywhere I,ve been this past summer and that's great for the ecosystem, terrible for fishing this year. This summer is going to be slow for Pike in most lakes fron all the food available, mark my words.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:41 PM »
absolutely agree with frustrating!  man, someone has to know something about the dam.  Ive never been there myself, I just always heard of the good eye fishing in the summer, but I am frequent at Northern Rod and reel and they have heard absoluely nothing. 
 to your point about food supply- agreed that it is tremendous this year, but I have found fishing better this ice htan last- no comparison, if I don't catch 50 fish a day- i am not happy- my best this year was 300 fish in 6 hours- same hole- and only 6 were tulibee.  30 eyes, few pike and dogs, rest were all perch.  I am finding that when you get on the fish when they are feeding, they are being extremely agressive and are tending to feed longer.  i think its because of such an abundant food supply that they are now use to having a larger stomach- maybe- I don't know, but I cant explain why or how I have been able to do so well.  And the fish I am catching are bigger than ever, in fact the average size perch on echo this year is around that 9-10 inch range- cant believe it- I am to the place now if they dont hit 11 there swimming again.
  anyways, thanks for the message
fishcrusher
Wekusko Falls Lodge

teatot

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:00 PM »
Have fished craik several times in the summer and have done extremely well some days to nothing the next-that's fishing.We usually go to craik regional park at least once a year camping and that's when we go fishing.A couple of years ago we totally slaughtered the walleye and some as 2-21/2lbs,but winter fishing always seem to be slow.A couple of years ago the winter kill was fairly extensive and that will take a couple of years to recoupe. I hadn't heard about any winter kill this year and I hope it's not true.That's about all I know about Craik reservoir by the way where have you been catching 50 fish a day on echo.I've heard echo has produced some pretty good outings this year.Wanted to get out last week-end but it didn't happen.Anyway good luck with the fishing where ever it is that you may go-Teapot

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:45 PM »
absolutely agree with frustrating!  man, someone has to know something about the dam.  Ive never been there myself, I just always heard of the good eye fishing in the summer, but I am frequent at Northern Rod and reel and they have heard absoluely nothing. 
 to your point about food supply- agreed that it is tremendous this year, but I have found fishing better this ice htan last- no comparison, if I don't catch 50 fish a day- i am not happy- my best this year was 300 fish in 6 hours- same hole- and only 6 were tulibee.  30 eyes, few pike and dogs, rest were all perch.  I am finding that when you get on the fish when they are feeding, they are being extremely agressive and are tending to feed longer.  i think its because of such an abundant food supply that they are now use to having a larger stomach- maybe- I don't know, but I cant explain why or how I have been able to do so well.  And the fish I am catching are bigger than ever, in fact the average size perch on echo this year is around that 9-10 inch range- cant believe it- I am to the place now if they dont hit 11 there swimming again.
 HOLY S--T! I'm happy if I catch 5 fish a day in the winter!
 If you don't mind sharing with the less fortunate, please PM me with even the general area where you are slamming fish in these numbers consistantly. I doubt I'll catch 50 fish all winter otherwise.
 P.S. I only keep Dogfish, Jumbo Perch and 1-3lb. Walleyes. Other than that I'm all about catch and release so the fish population is safe with me.
  anyways, thanks for the message
fishcrusher
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Craik had some of the craziest walleye fishing in the summer, we would cast a jig in like 2 ft of water and reel in, they would just hit it like a trout it was unreal. we went to go ice fishing there couple years ago but got nothing. The deepest spot we found was about 24ft in the middle out from the boat launch. I know further down the lake it get shallower.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.