Author Topic: Earth Auger for Ice?  (Read 15273 times)

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
Earth Auger for Ice?
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Hi guys.. just wondering if a power earth auger would work for drilling holes through the ice? I have an opportunity to get one for a low price but if it wouldn't work for drilling ice then I won't even bother with it. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Earth Auger for Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:20 PM »
NOPE! Don't waste your time or money.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:21 PM »
I wouldn't use my ice auger for earth work and I wouldn't use an earth auger for ice.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Totally different blade design...Earth augers dig ...Ice augers shave

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:22 PM »
To further explain the blade on a earth auger are designed for breaking up dirt and rocks. Ice augers have super sharp blades for shaving and chipping ice.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Dean Nelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:38 PM »
OK so its got a different cutting head and is going to spin half as fast. Whit all that said why wouldn't it cut the ice ND have any of you ever actually tried it? Is it ideal no but its built to cut through a hard surface so ice wouldn't exactly be a big difference. Do they have a hard time getting a consistent bite in the ice or something? Otherwise I could care less if its cunks coming up instead of shavings.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Just look at the blades earth auger blades are rounded with carbite welded into it to make the withstand the abuse they endure. If you have ever tried to drill ice with dull blades it doesn't go well.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:51 PM »
By all mean if you want try then go ahead. It's your money and time not mine, but I would waste either. You can use a screwdriver as a chisel but it wasn't designed to be a chisel, but if your going to spend the money you might as well get the right tool for the job.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:53 PM »
By all mean if you want try then go ahead. It's your money and time not mine, but I would waste either. You can use a screwdriver as a chisel but it wasn't designed to be a chisel, but if your going to spend the money you might as well get the right tool for the job.

This guy's right. Your earth blades are not going to bite into the ice like normal sharp auger bladed.  If you can buy it cheap for the power head and get it to attach to a normal ice auger via adapter then you might be in business.

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! sounds like it won't work. I guess I'll be sticking with a hand auger for now.  ;)

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:45 PM »
I had a strike master with the 2 hp Tecumseh motor
I had a 10 " ice chipper blade and a 10" earth blade from earthquake.
they were interchangeable and both did what they were suppose to do.
we have rocky soil and hard ice .
but you have to use an ice bit on and a earth bit in dirt.
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Hand auger and cordless drill!!

FrankM

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Hand auger and cordless drill!!
x2, works great

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I had a strike master with the 2 hp Tecumseh motor
I had a 10 " ice chipper blade and a 10" earth blade from earthquake.
they were interchangeable and both did what they were suppose to do.
we have rocky soil and hard ice .
but you have to use an ice bit on and a earth bit in dirt.

A lot of augers are interchangeable between earth and ice.. The only difference between an Earthquake and an Eskimo are the name and the bit...

I have used mine for both for over 25 years..

<*)))>{

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2016, 03:22 PM »
We used a earth auger powerhead and a homemade collar to attach a hand auger drill to it for a few years, it worked.
That would be my suggestion if you want to use it for ice, find a used hand auger and make an adapter collar so it fits the shaft coming out of the powerhead of the earth auger.
It's an option!

Offline drewcifer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Power head will work for both auger bits and in the summer and winter no adjustments needed why would you. You don't tune the carburetor in yo ur car from summer to winter. Our your wheeler or chainsaw. The only thing that won't work is a jiffy auger bit because they spin opposite direction. Also an ice bits for ice only and earth bit is for dirt only
Get the gaff

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2021, 06:08 AM »
I know it's been 6 years since this was last discussed on this thread, but I am in a similar boat.  Got an earth auger for Christmas, and I plan and getting the Eskimo pistol bit to get one of my hand auger bits to fit onto the output shaft.  Does anyone have any luck or input on doing this?

I do plan on having to Dremel out the inner diameter of the adapter a little to get it to fit onto the 7/8" output shaft.  Just hoping the pins line up close enough.
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2021, 06:29 AM »
I know it's been 6 years since this was last discussed on this thread, but I am in a similar boat.  Got an earth auger for Christmas, and I plan and getting the Eskimo pistol bit to get one of my hand auger bits to fit onto the output shaft.  Does anyone have any luck or input on doing this?

I do plan on having to Dremel out the inner diameter of the adapter a little to get it to fit onto the 7/8" output shaft.  Just hoping the pins line up close enough.

My concern with making the hole wider on the Pistol Bit is the lack of material that would be left over ..the shaft is aluminum ..get the adapter that I previously discussed with you  or you could find yourself in a pickle. The Strikemaster LiteFligt has a 22mm input diameter and may be a better choice ..as you should not need an adapter . Some very good points were made above concerning carburation with the cold and overall performance .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2021, 07:01 AM »
For the powerhead itself if it doesnt like to start in the cold just richen the fuel mixture screws up some most likely counter clockwise ,if it has a primer and choke, i think it will start in cold weather.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2021, 07:34 AM »
Earth Augers? Big difference.....and the main one is that SOME of them MAY turn THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
I've used both enough to know that. You'll melt the ice from spinning long before you cut thru it... ::)

Here's some input for ya.

Differences between an Ice Auger and an Earth Auger

Ice Auger   
                         Earth Auger
Higher RPMs                       Lower RPMs
No true Clutch                    Clutch     
Lightweight                        Heavier
Blades Pitched to Slice Ice    Blades Pitched to Dig Into Dirt
Sharp Blades to Shave and
Chips/shaves Ice                     Rounded Blades Break up Dirt and Rocks
Designed for Cold Weather    Designed for Warmer Weather

Ardisam (Eskimo) makes both of 'em. Give them a call and ask if you don't believe me. Great people over there.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2021, 02:23 PM »
I plan and getting the Eskimo pistol bit to get one of my hand auger bits to fit onto the output shaft.  Does anyone have any luck or input on doing this?

If you can't get the pistol bit adapter to work the Trophy Angler Univers-all extension/adapter might do the trick.  But they are heavy and your auger will be 6' tall.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2022, 01:06 PM »
So the Eskimo pistol bit worked to turn my earth auger into an ice auger. All I did was take the bit off my hand auger and attach it to the pistol bit, then to my Predator earth auger output shaft. I did have to hone out the shear pin hole in the output shift just a touch to get the lock screw to fit through.

For the record, the earth auger was a gift, or else I probably would have chose a different option.

Offline Coult44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2022, 12:01 PM »
Hi Marauder, I’m so glad I found this. We are in the exact same predicament. My son got a predator gas auger for Christmas. It looks identical to the one in your pic or close to it. There’s no way we can return it for alot of reasons. We want to Do what you did to make it work. Can you help us out?
Thanks in advance.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2022, 12:06 PM »
Hi Marauder, I’m so glad I found this. We are in the exact same predicament. My son got a predator gas auger for Christmas. It looks identical to the one in your pic or close to it. There’s no way we can return it for alot of reasons. We want to Do what you did to make it work. Can you help us out?
Thanks in advance.

This will go from 22mm to 18mm..most power heads have a 22mm output shaft dia..most hand augers have a 18mm dia input shaft dia

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-34677-Pistol-Adapter-Size/dp/B08DR4BFNL
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:09 PM »
Thanks in advance.

Could, I sent you a PM

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:24 AM »
Stopped at a garage sale a few years back and saw an 8" mora auger for sale.  The asking price
was $10. Then I saw the blades.  They were covered with caked mud and grit.  I asked the seller
and he said they bought it to drill holes to set fence posts.  It didn't work...

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.