Author Topic: Ontario-style/Dewalt Ice Hut type shanties?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Ontario-style/Dewalt Ice Hut type shanties?
« on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:01 PM »
I'm curious to know how many use this style of shanty and can attest to the good and bad of this design.  Is it your primary shelter or one of many depending on the situation/weather/etc.?

I made due last year with my pop-up deer blind and will again this year.  It works okay but I'm intrigued by the idea of the Ontario/Dewalt folding blinds.  I do continue to struggle between them and an insulated pop-up shanty (Eskimo 949i).  The pop-up seems to offer ultimate portability but the Ontario/Dewalt seems to offer more structure and warmth.  The Michiana style hard side shelters are interesting but look way too heavy for 1 man to move around.

I typically fish solo but if I had a nice enough shelter, my wife and young son might join me on occasion.

Any feedback regarding experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ontario-style/Dewalt Ice Hut type shanties?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:32 PM »
The Michiana style hard side shelters are interesting but look way too heavy for 1 man to move around.

I typically fish solo but if I had a nice enough shelter, my wife and young son might join me on occasion.

Even the Ontario/Dewalt folding blinds are a pain for one person.   An insulated pop-up shanty would be just as warm (if not warmer) and much more mobile.  Once they are anchored they are just as stable as either of the others.  The thin tarp used on the Ontario will not be all that warm and will flap with the wind much worse then a pop-up.   Build a smitty sled and you can load up all your gear, including a pop-up and you can pull it easily yourself.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:48 AM »
Plus one.  I couldn't have said it any better.  For one person a pop up can't be beat,  but if you're already using a hub style huntin' blind you already know the ins and outs of a light shelter on a windy day... ie, set an anchor before you pull out the tent!  Other than that, all I can say is the pop up ice shelter will be a bit warmer than the hunting blind... sealed up windows instead of screen

Jason

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Wow, 2 very quick and damning reviews of the Dewalt type shelters!  Is building one of those more a question of available cash and materials than being a better design?

I have a pair of downhill skis that could be used as a start to a smitty sled.  I also have an Otter sled that I see guys mount to the smitty.  So maybe a smitty sled and the Eskimo 949i need to be my focus. 

Thanks!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:12 PM »
no.. nothing to do with available cash.  I had access to free plywood so it cost me basically nothing to build.  Just a pain.   :%$#!:    Go with the smitty sled and a pop up  (insulated if you can).

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:00 AM »
curious as to the name "Ontario-style/Dewalt Ice Hut type shanties" I know about the ontario style but what's the ontario/dewalt. never heard of it

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:47 AM »
curious as to the name "Ontario-style/Dewalt Ice Hut type shanties" I know about the ontario style but what's the ontario/dewalt. never heard of it

Same here, what does the Dewalt part come from? Made using DeWalt cordless tools????? ???

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:54 PM »

From what I've seen, there is the "Ontario style ice hut" and the "Dewalt ice hut".  They look to be 2 different names for the exact same thing so I inserted a "/".  I'm guessing the Ontario-style design originated in Ontario.  I'm not sure if the Dewalt design is someone's name or since it is a DIY project, you are use Dewalt tools.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:03 PM »
My first move up from a bucket was an ontario style shanty, I liked it so much that I'm thinking of giving up my clam and building another, bigger and better than the first. Thanks for clearing up the ontario/dewalt thing. I've only ever heard them called ontario shacks.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Funny you call it Ontario/dewalt fish hut if you type Wisconsin ice shack plans in google you get the same hut.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2016, 03:25 PM »
I have a senco super shack which is a light weight version of the Ontario shack, look it up I love mine and it works great

Offline Bob E

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:38 PM »
I think the Ontario and Dewalt names came about because the fishontario forum used to have a sticky with an attached set of plans that were either put out or sponsored by Dewalt. The design has been around for a while though. I remember buying one at a garage sale in the early 90's and it seemed pretty old then.
After this winter I would lean towards the pop-up, but If you have the tools, most of the materials, and like making stuff, an ontario might be hard to beat. If the wife and kid don't like ice fishing a better shelter may not change their opinion...

https://www.scribd.com/doc/299962144/Ontario-Dewalt-Ice-Shanty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.