Author Topic: BEST WAY TO FILET A FISH AFTER FROZEN IN THE ICE  (Read 6356 times)

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: BEST WAY TO FILET A FISH AFTER FROZEN IN THE ICE
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:29 PM »
If its cold enough for the fish to freeze thur-out the day I'll put them in a bucket or bag and try to keep the air off them. It seems to help a bit . but not always the solution. If they do freeze, I'll place on newspaper, turn up the heat in my shop and let them thaw on their own. Usually doesn't take too long. Either have a couple drinks, maybe even dinner. Then fillet!

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:57 PM »
if there is snow on the ice pack them in snow in the bucket they wont freeze and the slime factor is next to nil.  if there is no snow then water in the bucket with a lid so not getting all over the shanty on the ride home.  i cut all but two of the tabs off the bucket lid so it is easier to take off and on.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:40 PM »
I am in the don't let them freeze in the first place. Quite  a few years ago we were fishing a lake that drew crowds of lazy fishermen. Throwing fish on the ice was like asking them to come and set right next to you. To combat this I started taking a 6 gallon cooler. I used it as a seat and a fish holder, pour about 10 inches of water to start. Add fish as you catch. Up[on arrival at home if dead tired I put in regular cooler with ice. When well rested in morning clean the catch. If still pretty peppy  I just clean. them when I get home.

Even though I fish uncovered 80% of time never had the water cooler ice up inside. A 5 or 6 gallon cooler like I said makes an excellent seat. And is far more versatile then just a plain bucket.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:02 PM »
If fish freeze solid I put them in the fridge and clean them the next day.  The fish are still frozen but soft enough to fillet.  If the fish are too frozen you're asking to cut yourself trying to mess with them.  I just did this with a few lake trout I caught on Monday.  (That is fillet, not cut myself)   ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:33 AM »
I just filet them as normal after letting the thaw until they'll flatten out with slight pressure which is my preferred method.

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:59 AM »
I recommend against just leaving them in the bucket in the garage to thaw and filleting them as they thaw. It makes for a very late night.
this method for me

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:47 AM »
I learned years ago that it's much easier to clean fish when they're partially frozen. Cutting calamari when it's partially frozen was so much easier and it's the same with fish.  To the guy who's pays to clean his fish....why not sit home and watch TV and then just go to the shop and buy fish that others have caught and the shops a
cleaned already? lol. I will say that I do hate cleaning more than a bucket of fish but I'd never pay someone to clean them for me unless it's a redicoulously low amount like $2

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:43 PM »
I've heard of guys putting them on a stringer and back in a hole to stay fresh. That way if it's a bad day and the first one is the only one, it could be let free. Loop around an ice anchor.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:15 PM »
I agree with bobberbill
retired let the fishing begin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.