New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread  (Read 102101 times)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Re: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread
« Reply #690 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:18 PM »
That is what it's all about! Hope Howard from channel 12 does a good write up! Great day of free fishing in NYS! And a great day for all fishers!

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #691 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Glad you guys had fun!! Wish I could have been there but my girls are too young / not interested and focused enough to fish with me yet. I still have hope for the 5 year old though! We ended up going skiing instead before we lose what's left of the snow. The derby will still be around for me long after they grow up!! Still bummed I had to miss it though  :-\
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #692 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Had a fun time at the crappie derby , and nice to get back out on the whitney point. It was good to me earlier this winter , but yesterday it was just  a mess of short walleye but only 1 crappie. I was pumped when I pulled up the crappie....put it in a bucket of water , and made the loooong walk to the judges measurement stand. I did not win , but it was fun . Then long walk back ....machine next year.

The announcer did say the leading walleye was 28 inches.

I have only been to 1 other crappie derby, and that was over 15 years ago. I was shocked when I registered yesterday and the guy says "2 bucks".......2 bucks!!! A medium coffee at Dunkin Donuts costs more than that ! A real bargain , and a real family affair out there on the ice. They even gave out all you can eat ice cream to any kids that wanted some ,.... very nice of them to do that for the kids. There was an unreal amount of people out there on the ice yesterday...my registration number was 5 thousand three hundred ninety eight (5398)...great turn out.

I had talked to Ed , owner of Davids bait up the road there in Lisle and he said there is going to be a petition soon to the DEC from some concerned fishing groups about why the exploding walleye population and the declining crappie and panfish population at whitney point.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline stealhead4749

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #693 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:08 AM »
Caught a ton of fish yesterday, just no keepers of any kind. It's been a long time since I've fished the derby but was  pretty good time

After I left my buddy who was still there calls me and says the  announcer was talking about someone that took a dump on the ice. That's some reel class right there

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #694 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:09 AM »
yeah them darn  walleyes ....worse then pickerel  ..... :roflmao:  I  blame it  all on  bigal

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
« Reply #695 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:17 AM »
It's a toss up.... 6 of fishing yesterday would of had our limits of walleye easily if it were 15" and 3 .hell  15" and 5 probably.  Do they drop the size limit for 2 years or put tigers back in like the 80's and 90's to "thin the heard"?  But that will take years.... in my opinion there are too many walleyes for any substantial growth. How many years are we going to keep saying should be good next year? Then it's the same old same old 16-17 3/4  inch fish...granted been catching more keepers this year but there has to be away to even up the numbers. 2 keeper walleye outta 40+ yesterday isnt very balanced. Hopefully the biologists figure it out. Oneida lake is just fine at 15"and 3
Maybe 1 year at that size limit would do miracles?
"MONGO'S"

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #696 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:33 PM »
The petition should be against having the crappie Derby. That's what hurts that fishery the most. Not the exploding walleye population. People taking undersized fish. Seen it with my own two eyes yesterday. Had to warn them. Garbage on the ice. All the machines destroying the ice. And drunken idiots. Not to mention the thousands of fish that were takin out of there yesterday by people who never come here other than for the  crappie Derby
If there was thousands of crappie taken out yesterday it's got to be news to me. From what I hear they had a couple of 15 minute derbies that got no fish entered. Of the group of guys I fished with not one keeper to be had. I highly doubt thousands were taken out. At least not legal sized ones.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #697 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Lmao @ thousands of fish being taken yesterday....

I went there today and got half a limit of gills. So there’s still fish there, guys.

Offline stealhead4749

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #698 on: Feb 18, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Agrred

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #699 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Hi all, would like to give another persons perspective.
  Total times fishing at W.P. is twice.
Yesterday in the derby and on a whim ice fishing about 8 years ago. I had no previous knowledge of the lake really, but read there was a lot of walleye in there and there aren't many walleye in my local waters and frankly I wanted get one thru the ice as a personal achievement. I looked at the basic map and figured I would try to hit the channel, but frankly I'm pretty sure I missed it slightly. Well there was no doubt a lot of walleye in there. I caught 3 or 4
in a couple hours up to about 17". I caught a couple perch on jigs. That was it.
   Yesterday me my wife and daughter entered the derby after years of contemplating and years of cancelled tourneys due to no ice.
Total yesterday 3 walleye up to about 15 or 16 inches, One nice perch fell off at the hole, daughter had another unknown that came undone.
Conclusion: not much has changed.

IMO: It's a nice deal for someone that wants to enter a competition for not a big cash outlay. Where all fishing has some impact I don't think people should worry about the derby doing much harm.  In the area I was in I counted about 147 shacks and that wasn't even half of what was out there. Within the area that I could see there was probably well over 100 tip ups out. Other than my tip ups all day I witnessed maybe  3 or 4 flags go up. That's pretty poor, but it really means nothing other than nobody was cleaning out any species where I was. In fact truth be told I think the amount of crappie caught there yesterday would barely fill a fry pan(correct me if anybody witnessed different). That could mean populations changed. They should survey and maybe get a hold on it. One thing for sure crappies can be very elusive thru the ice. I have found mother lodes of crappie that wouldn't think of biting my offerings. No I am not a crappie expert but I have caught plenty thru the ice. Some lakes I catch them open water but can't buy one thru the ice. They seem different in every lake. Generally they are in certain areas only, but they also move due to many factors.
   You usually have to learn about good areas to fish them thru experience so I really didn't have big hopes for us and we zero'ed on crappie. We all had a good time and our hats go off to the derby volunteers that make it happen.
   If I have anything negative at all to say it would be how I got  there about 445:AM and there where a whole bunch of people already set up. That is ok but I would say 90 percent of the people were fishing. Legal ? Yes. Fairplay? No.
Also does anybody besides me get suspicious when several fish come in at 8:am and not much after that? I like to think most play it straight. But you have to be naive to think there are not cheaters. You gotta wonder, were these 3:AM fish? Fish from who knows where the days prior? Oh well my attitude is you just have to outfish the cheaters but that's not easy or fair.
  If too many walleye are spoiling crappie populations, that is bad for a organization trying to do a crappie derby long term, but to change laws willy nilly  I just don't know. The best you probably can do is surveys of fish and their stomach contents. These walleye have to eat something. But are they bothering the crappie? Are they interrupting the crappie spawn? I don't know but these are some of the questions that need to be answered. All I know is there is a good population of walleye in there and I wish there were more keepers. They maybe should see if they are making reasonable growth rates by age class. If they are, leave them be, they will get bigger, if not maybe thin the herd with a slot limit. Again just some ideas.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #700 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Well said Crawlerman.  :clap: :clap: And as far as the guy who said something about years and years of derbies they haven't had one since 2015. That should have helped the population of fish. And wondering what they do with the profits. What profits? At $2 per entry and giving away thousands of dollars in prizes there isn't much of a profit. They announced at the derby it was not for a profit but rather than having a family friendly derby which I believe they accomplished.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #701 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:58 PM »
the  whitney point  derby  when they can  have  it  is  a  family  based  derby   to   be  enjoyed  by families    every  child that  takes a  fish up  is  a  winner!  it is  a  not  for profit  derby  no one  makes  money! it's  for  fun  and   to get families  fishing and  spending time  together ......holeman if  that lake  can't  afford  to loss 2000 fish then  it  should  be  drained  and  used  for  farm land  .....  and  I think this is the  first  derby in  4  years .......this  derby  didn't  hurt  the  fish population  at all  ,it  however  was  enjoyed  by a lot of  people   memories  were  made  ... and   children  introduced  to  fishing and  the outdoors  ....husbands  and  wives  enjoyed  a  day  on the  lake  friends  and  family  laughed  cooked  out  enjoyed  the  day .....  if  you have  a  problem  with that  you  should  take  up  golf  at the  country  club ....

bigal  what  did I tell you .... some people  just  got  to  complain .....glad  you and  your family had  fun  ^5

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #702 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:05 PM »
holeman  some  kid  just  kicked a  ball in your yard ,if  you hurry you can get it  before  he  does  ...... :roflmao:

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #703 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I've ice fished all my life.  I like to golf at the country club too! ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #704 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Its not just a private organization running it. The sportsmen club is a group anyone can join.The county parks department has a big hand in it too. As far as not much cash given back in prize money I beg to differ. Have you ever won any of the 28  mini derbies they have thru out the day? Well I have. And I will tell you my prize was in excess of $100 in value and almost half of that was in cash. I can only imagine how much cash is given out. Trapper. Right on my friend.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #705 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:13 PM »
here is intelligent  conversation   there is   no  documented  evidence  showing this  or  any other derby  has  hurt the fish population at all .  this  derby  which  has  been  going on  since  1973  has  become  a  family  event  where   most  the  prize money is  now  spent  on  youngsters ,it  is looked  forward to  by  many  fisherman  and  families  ....  which  makes  me  wonder ,what is  fishing  and  being a  sportsman  about?  well hole  it's  about  passing  and  sharing  the outdoors  with  children  and  family ..... I read  your  post  and it  seems  to me you have  a lot  of  trouble  catching   "keeper"  fish  don't  blame  that on  families  having  fun  for  one  day of the  year !

as  of  2015  the  dec  study  showed  that  of  the  netted  fish  184  ...only 9 would  be  legal  fish over 18 inches ,that's  5 percent

of the  crappies caught  it  was  very  low  with  35  fish caught 34 were  9 inches  or  bigger ....

a lot  of  this  is  probably  due  to the  lack of  cover  for  fish ,  brush  piles   have  been placed  in the  lake   by the  dec and   area  sportsmen  also the  state  has  been  working  to  add  structure   by  cutting  deep  pools  and  channels  and  making  submerged  humps ........  my personal  thoughts  are  the  fish population  suffered   from   water releases    and  from  flooding  in the  past    also  lack  of  structure  hurts  the  fish  and  the  bait  fish  .... of  course  your  walleyes  aren't the  problem they been in there  since  before I was  born and  they are  not stocked  they  are  natives .....  now  getting  back  to  your  inability  to  catch  a  keeper  walleye  isn't  because  your  doing  anything wrong it's  because  they simply  aren't  there,  and  it's  not  from a  derby the  study  was  done  in  2015  and   there  hasn't  been a  derby  since then !   low  crappie  count  in  2015  ...hasn't  been  a  derby  since  then ......still a  low  count  ...then the  derby isn't  the  reason  my opinion  ...lack  of  cover    not  much  structure  ,fluctuating water  levels and  run off  ,that's  your  problems .

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #706 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I've ice fished all my life.  I like to golf at the country club too! ;D

pssst  I  fish  behind  a  golf  course  does  that count  :roflmao:

and  I  think we  can  use  your  golf card to get us out on the ice  and  not register  it  ....wait that's a  different thread  :roflmao:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #707 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Ok time to chime in here ...holeman or what ever man you are...there is no shortage of crappies in there trust me i caught over my limit yup all shorts..i would say at 30 shorts ...i think the group a guys i was with we must a caught ohhhh about 20 eyes all shorts one keeper eye .and i couldnt be happier for the person that caught it..i was in bigals group...and there was at 3 ...15 minute derbies with no crappie...the derby doent hurt the lake..been 3 yrs without one..its basiclly a family fun derby day...who cares where the extra cash goes they do have cash payouts to...like al said thousnads a dollars in prizes..what does a snowmobile or quad do to the fish..nothing..

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #708 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Yes i do disagree with junk being left on ice...but im sure alot a money from goes to alot of the prizes for the kids..i know one thing when bigals grandson got that gill won some goodies he was the happiest person in our group...they really put alot a efforts into making kids happy and having a good time...its all about a fun time and memories...you shooting everyone down like its a crime to have a derby..yea some ppl it was there first time ice fishing probably and hey us anglers mite have to say hey thats to small you have to let it go no big deal.....when ppl were doing something they announced it to stop or they wouldnt like who they were calling...but i still dont c what a sled or wheeler does to the fish...thats like saying..thats like saying me swimming in the lake hurts the fish to...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #709 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:00 PM »
I guess my kayak with me in it hurts the fish to on open water...must b the wheelers run over fish and kill them along with sleds...thats like me paddling my kayak i cant use my paddles i mite knock a fish out..think you need to go fishing and stop complaing about a derby...i know a person that goes out there and clobbers big crappies and big eyes..he doesnt post on here much bcause he gets slammed for it i think thats wrong..thisbsite is for infoband having fun sharing knowledge..i have more if we must continue about a derby that happens every 3 or 4 yrs if were lucky...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #710 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:01 PM »
There is a grumpy old mans thread i know they sent me there already once...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #711 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Your complainig about the derby aboitb4 wheelers sleds
Everyone has an opinion thats my opinion ..yea i went through the ice it happens learning expierence i shared with everyone...my word of wisdom on that was ...watch your every step on the ice

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #712 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:10 AM »
Thanks for the info big guy but if you look back I was not complaining about the crappie . I tend not to listen to what you say though because anyone who falls through the ice as much as you can't be to bright . Now I have not thrown any insult to anyone first . Just want to get different opinions. Now we can either talk like man instead of teenage girls. Or we can meet for coffee I will buy and have a conversation. Where insults can be met with a response.i don't need this b.s. from cyber tough guys . You will be happy to know I am deleting my profile. As this is more of a caddy click of school girls can it is fishermen sharing information and opinions. Have a good night ladies I have to work in the morning some of you should try it sometime

You are an absolute joke. Good riddance!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #713 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:15 AM »
 😄😄😄

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #714 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Maybe without wasting his time here, holeman will be be able to save Whitney Point Lake!!

We need to make him a super hero costume.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #715 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:40 AM »
i'm  the  only one that  don't work  ...I go to the  mail  box  for that pension check  once a  month then  catch  a  brady  family rerun I  go  fishing ...and  it's really big of  a  39  year old man  to invite a  near 65 year old  out  for  coffee ..... ;D
now  big guy  didn't  "go threw the  ice"  he  stepped  on a  hole .....(stepping  in a hole ...no bun intended)  and   as  far as  sleds and  4 wheelers  that's  county and  state property  it's legal ......no my  friend  your problem is  you can't catch  fish ......I went threw  your old post  your  about  begging  for  info on how to do it ... with  the  award  winning personality of yours i'm sure you'll get lots  of  invites  if  not  I  will be  glad  to take  you out  fishing  right after that  cup of  coffee  and I might even  show  you that hole  big guy stepped in  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #716 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:02 AM »
Maybe without wasting his time here, holeman will be be able to save Whitney Point Lake!!

We need to make him a super hero costume.

well he's  easy  to point out !  he's  the  guy that  sets  on a  empty  bucket on  whitney point   :roflmao:

Offline Drewski121

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh yeah
« Reply #717 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:07 AM »
What a bunch of "Crappie" posts.....DD... ;D ;D ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #718 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:13 AM »
What a bunch of "Crappie" posts.....DD... ;D ;D ;D

:roflmao:  coffee  or  beer  drew  your  a  member  of  our  clique  now  too

Offline Drewski121

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh yeah
« Reply #719 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Probably shouldn't say this either but, I don't like wearing panties..DD.... ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.