The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Sharpen Those Chisels Shantinions 👍🎣  (Read 3277 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Sharpen Those Chisels Shantinions 👍🎣
« on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:08 PM »
With the temperature starting to resemble winter, the ice is now beginning to appear in the hills. It's a new year and there are some new members to the ice shanty family. I wanted to take a moment to remind everyone including our new members to sharpen your Chisels! I'm sure you don't need reminding of that though 😆 This post is really about ice safety, especially new ice and new to the sport anglers. Please buy or create your own chisel and "Chop As You Walk" ! I own 2 , one I built at low cost and works great. The other was handed down from my father.  Such a basic tool that can and has saved lives!  Please be safe and catch a biggie! (One more thing, try not to go alone )

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
Re: Sharpen Those Chisels Shantinions 👍🎣
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Wise words spoken by a wise man.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Slabosorous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:21 PM »
I never really bought into chisels actually being useful, but you convinced me. I picked one up a few weeks back, hole we finally get some ice to use it.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I used to be the same way Slabosorous, but I picked up a heavy Frabil spud a couple of seasons ago and really love it. When there's less than 8" sometimes I don't even bother with the auger and just chisel out holes. Definitely makes me feel safer when checking out places in the early season too!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline SMCSullyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:57 PM »
Hey millbillman, do you have a post on here about building your own, could you share any plans?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Hey millbillman, do you have a post on here about building your own, could you share any plans?
I'll have to do that sometime, I'll get on it soon.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:50 PM »
I never really bought into chisels actually being useful, but you convinced me. I picked one up a few weeks back, hole we finally get some ice to use it.
You will be surprised how useful they can be.  The day it saves you from finding a man swallower covered by thin ice and a dusting of snow. That's one of those times😎 It's happened to me! My super lightweight one is awesome for chopping out old holes,on those too lazy to carry your auger or if there's just a ton of holes already there.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:55 PM »
Still carry one I've had for 30 years and was my first ice hole maker.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2016, 04:32 AM »
I wish I still owned my first chisel, ....or my second, ...or my third. Between me and friends a few of my favorite ponds have swallowed up some chisels. Make sure you have a length of rope on it or a loop of somr kind and make sure you use it!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:49 AM »
I gave away one at our gathering this year. Frabill makes one perfect for checking ice and popping open old holes. Has some decent weight to it too. It has the stepped chisel head, cover, and loop at the top for a wrist rope so you dont lose it.

Hard to beat for about 20$. Free 2 day shipping if you have amazon prime. If anyone wants one and doesnt have prime let me know. I can order one for you and we can meet up on the ice to pay me back. I'd rather u get one than not order one cause of shipping or it taking to long to get in.

http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-9000-Standard-Ice-Chisel/dp/B0056A1A1M

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:26 AM »
That's the one I have. The weight really is perfect!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:44 AM »
I own the frabill as well.  Its saved me a few times.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:47 AM »
There are many different shapes and sizes and weights. Some are way to heavy, some way to thick at the chisel end (like a door stop) thinner the better (in my opinion). Too heavy and you'll be going home with sore shoulders (and possibly dropping it through the ice. Too bad you can't try them before buying them (you can if you try someone else's on the ice first (just make sure it's safe first. I'll upload some photos of my 2 later on today if I remember. No offense to anyone that uses the step style chisel, I was not impressed in the least with those style, I give them 2🌟🌟 out of 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟. Too each their own and it will work, just not up to par for me.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:57 AM »
I can easily punch it thru 3-4" of ice. I only use it to check ice, so if it isnt going thru im good. Its also only about 4'6" long and not to heavy which makes it nice for all day use\transport. If you want to use it to chop holes, it may not be the best choice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Well its a good thing I didnt buy it based off your opinion Keith!   ;D I would never expect you, chiselmaster to like it.  But it saved my arse and thats 5 out of 5 for me!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Keith I think I posted a build on the little chisel that I copied from you.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Well its a good thing I didnt buy it based off your opinion Keith!   ;D I would never expect you, chiselmaster to like it.  But it saved my arse and thats 5 out of 5 for me!
I'm not judging it against my chisel, just an overall observation from the MANY designs I've seen and tried over the years. It will certainly do the job ! Just a personal choice for me. They seem well constructed from the few times I've tried them.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Keith I think I posted a build on the little chisel that I copied from you.
mine is slightly  different Ed ,I'll post something at some point . The one I'm referring to its my super lightweight but very effective chisel for mainly cutting caps and thinner ice 4-5" .

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:46 PM »
I made mine a few weeks ago... some pipe I had lying around and welded a piece of 1/4" steel on the end. ... I left it long enough if I wanted to do a stepped design, I have to make a cover for the blade. .

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:48 PM »
I'm not judging it against my chisel, just an overall observation from the MANY designs I've seen and tried over the years. It will certainly do the job ! Just a personal choice for me. They seem well constructed from the few times I've tried them.

I known breaking stones my man! 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2016, 04:44 PM »
If you are making your own, a lot of people will use a piece of old leaf spring for the blade.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:26 PM »
If you are making your own, a lot of people will use a piece of old leaf spring for the blade.

Funny thing you say that, after I built mine I spied the old leafs out in the back yard from a truck I built and said dangit! Haha... I hardened and tempered my blade afterward. ..

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:47 PM »
Getting darn cold out there guys , it's coming!!! Anywho, I just bought a chisel and as far as making holes is there ever a better time to use the chisel over a perfectly good working auger to punch new holes? Like certain inches of ice? I've seen plenty of people use them and the only good answer I got was to open a bigger hole than the auger. Any suggestion? Thanks guys and gals......ice curious from the 401
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Getting darn cold out there guys , it's coming!!! Anywho, I just bought a chisel and as far as making holes is there ever a better time to use the chisel over a perfectly good working auger to punch new holes? Like certain inches of ice? I've seen plenty of people use them and the only good answer I got was to open a bigger hole than the auger. Any suggestion? Thanks guys and gals......ice curious from the 401
if it's a place that gets hit hard and there's a ton of holes already cut but just capped over, I will use my chisel. If I have to walk a mile and it's not too thick 6" or so I'll use my chisel. Any other conditions, I'll fire up the Jiffy propane.

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Yea anything after 6" I'm busting out the power auger. Thanks for the info I guess that makes sense
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Anywho, I just bought a chisel and as far as making holes is there ever a better time to use the chisel over a perfectly good working auger to punch new holes? Like certain inches of ice?

I only use my chisel for checking conditions while im out. Punching holes i use my drill auger regardless of ice thickness since it only weighs a couple pounds more than a hand auger. Last time i was out i walked over 6 miles moving tilts and jigging. 60-80 holes is pretty much the norm. So light, efficient, and compact are very important.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Funny thing you say that, after I built mine I spied the old leafs out in the back yard from a truck I built and said dangit! Haha... I hardened and tempered my blade afterward. ..

Yup, a leaf spring has already been tempered.  Saves a bit of work.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:43 PM »

Yup, a leaf spring has already been tempered.  Saves a bit of work.

In my case even a leaf spring after grinding and welding would sure get into the tempering range of heat, Therfore a heat treatment would probably be necessary anyway. ..

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:07 AM »
You would really be surprised what a nice quality wood chisel can do to ice ,holds a nice edge too !

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Shantinions :wow check out the big brain out on Keith. I like it has nice ring to it too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.