The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Do pike bite at night?  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do pike bite at night?
« on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I'm just taking a guess, and thinking no, I'm probably wrong though. The reason I say that is in over 30 years I have never caught a pickeral after dark on the ice or open water. I was told pickeral are sight feeders, and figured they are sort of close to a pike. I don't plan on trying for them at night, just curious. I prefer sunrise to sunset. Haven't had much luck at night for bass either, but I know you can get them, along with crappie and pout.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Do pike bite at night?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Jigging for walleye on a lake about 15 years ago, about 10 pm had a hit and pulled up a 24" northern, surprised me, the only one that I have heard of biting after dark!

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2015, 04:14 PM »
not much...but an occasional good hit a few hours after sunset

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Depends where your fishing.  Lakes with lots of pike like Champlain you can get a flag or two.  Mass/CT I have had zero luck in the dark unless its late afternoon.  I try to setup at 2-3am to allow for lots of quiet before sunrise and have never gotten a flag in the dark outside of Champlain.

Offline GOT PIKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO GODS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:08 PM »
I have caught some at night but the hours spent is not worth it for the amount pike you catch, some of my best fish have come the hour before  sunset, and first light for about an hour, and thats mostly open water fishing, Ive seen people catch pike thru the ice overnight but Ill be sleeping dreaming about them.
Work is for people that don't know how to fish.........

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Some years back I caught a pike around midnight working a jitterbug for bass in some reeds. First and only one I ever caught. Was quit the surprise.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Online fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Pike, pickerel and muskies are primarily "sight hunters" and are usually caught during daylight times.
That doesn't mean they can't be caught at night. If the conditions are right, and they can see your bait/lure, they will feed at night.

Specifically targeting them at night would be an uphill challenge right from the start.
Catching them accidentally is a pleasant surprise!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2015, 10:54 PM »
night time open water river fishing in the dark with jitter sticks works! i use black ones at night with white stripes.

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2015, 03:11 AM »
I gotten a couple night flags but I wouldn't recommend doing a night trip for pike.

Offline Goldpinhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:08 AM »
If your goal is to catch pike, fishing at night is not an efficient use of your time imo.  I've only ever caught pike at night in Champlain but they allow 15 traps per person up there.  Had 3 ppl, 15 traps on woods from 6pm to 10am one time.  Didn't get a flag until 7am.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:29 PM »
If your goal is to catch pike, fishing at night is not an efficient use of your time imo.  I've only ever caught pike at night in Champlain but they allow 15 traps per person up there.  Had 3 ppl, 15 traps on woods from 6pm to 10am one time.  Didn't get a flag until 7am.

One thing for sure richie GIANTs do bite at night. Just not pike. 

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Was just curious,  figured someone here would have info on the subject. Once the sun drops I have no interest being on the ice, and it gets cold fast. Mostly all pike waters around me are rivers with fast flow making it less attractive to be there after dark.

I fished at night last season a few times for at least four hours, but didn't get one flag. The place only has bass, hornpout, and way too many pickeral. Bought the Frabil tip up lights and had a roaring campfire going.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.