Author Topic: Clam Bigfoot XL4000T or Otter XTH Lodge hub?  (Read 4415 times)

Offline PerchN2040

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Bigfoot XL4000T or Otter XTH Lodge hub?
« on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:36 AM »
I have a one man flip I use when I go by myself. My question is which hub Clam Bigfoot xl4000t or Otter xth lodge. I will be using the hub when I go with my younger kids and maybe one other adult. Anyone recommend one over the other?

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Bigfoot XL4000T or Otter XTH Lodge hub?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:02 PM »
we got the otter xth resort this year for our group, 4 of us paid anyways.  you can fish 6 guys no problem with room for a poker table in the middle.  the lodge will be big as well.  I think it comes down to brand though and ill choose otter every time they are heavy duty the insulation is awesome and the small features from the plastics in the window to the hubs themselves are worth the money go otter

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:03 PM »
My review might help - http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318447.msg3351029#msg3351029

Also a 360 view from the inside

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2015, 03:45 PM »
I got the XTH Resort and it seems well built so far. The fabric seems way better than my buddy's Clam, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.  One thing I wish the Otter had was nylon straps for the tiedown instead of the regular guyline cord and a bigger skirt around the base.  The Clam also has a little net "shelf" that would be nice on the Otter, but I'm sure I will rig something up.  I definitely don't regret buying the Otter, but there are still a couple minor things that they could tweak on future iterations.

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2015, 03:51 PM »
just a suggestion maybe look at polar bird shelters i have had otter and clam best shelter on the market just my 2 cents  ;D

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2015, 04:24 PM »
I got the 1660 Six pack last year and although it sounds like it is a little bigger than what you are looking for I thought I'd pass along a 5 star review. It is very easy to set up, lots of room, and had 5-6 folks in it a couple of times including one night trip. It is very easy to set up, pops right up, and I can do it myself. If it is super windy it'll take a little work by yourself, but most importantly it is warm. With a few folks in there is quite comfortable I do not even need a heater, even by myself after the part timers have left the ice even on the nastiest days in Mass I have my coat off. Also FYI the product picture Clam has with five guys is taken with a wide angle lens but it is accurate. They should have taken it with a straight up lens, probably hurts the effort since it is obviously a wide angel

Offline chris555

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:15 PM »
I know this was not on your list,I have the clam jason mitchell 5000. very nice for me and young kids. lots of room,pockets,thermal and only 50 lbs.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:18 PM »
I absolutely love my Clam Bigfoot XL4000T. This will be year #3 on it and it's still perfect. That is impressive for a $329 shanty.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Well, since the Otter hasn’t really had a chance to mature much you might be taking a risk on it.   Otter has always had quality items, however there are usually a few things that fall through the cracks during the first run (such as what happened to the Bigfoot the first year).    I have a Bigfoot, and other than the anchors and the zippers, it’s been a great shelter.  It’s big, it’s durable, and it fits in the bag pretty darn good.   No rips or tears for me in 3 years.    I replaced all my zipper pulls and never need anything more than 2 ice angels tied off opposite ends on the outside (no screws for me).     One big difference you will notice for sure is that there is no mesh pockets on the Otter.  That might be a deal breaker for me.  The large pockets on the Clam are great for tossing gloves and hats and coats in to keep off the ice/snow/water.  Also if you are tall drink of water, you will appreciate the extra headroom in the Clam.    I’m one of Clams biggest opponents when it comes to their cheaply made mass produced Chinese gear, but they got it mostly right on the Bigfoot.

Offline PerchN2040

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I was also concerned about it being the first run on a hub for otter. I normally don't buy things the first year they come out. I am going to just keep checking the sales this year since the season hasn't started here yet. Hopefully soon!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:00 PM »
When I was getting my pop up I was torn between the Clam Bigfoot XL4000T and the Eskimo Fatfish i949.  I ended up getting the Fatfish because it was cheaper, the inside is black and blocks out light better, and had removable / replaceable windows.  I haven't had any problems or complaints with it and would get it again.  I haven't seen the Otter Lodge so I can't comment on it.

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:02 PM »
I was debating between the two myself and ended up going with the clam.  I thought for sure I would get the otter but after looking at the two side by side at a store I actually liked the clam better.  I have been satisfied with it so far but it is still the first season.  We'll see how it holds up.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Some great prices on hubs right now:

Reeds - Clam BigfootXL4000T and XTH Lodge $289 plus free shipping

Reeds - Sale Eskimo 6120 thermal six sided $349 plus free shipping

Reeds - Sale Otter XTH Thermal Resort 6 sided $389 plus free shipping

L&M Fleet - Otter XTH Thermal Resort - order through store $399 every day price

Hard to beat those prices

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2015, 11:29 PM »
Haven't fished the otter, but have the clam. My wife, myself, and our 2 small children fish in it together and have more than enough room. Saturday will start the second year in it, it was fished 15 times last year. Everyone told me that I wouldn't want a hub style, but I am impressed by this shelter. Absolutely no complaints. 5 stars from me.

Even has a bag big enough to actually fit the dang thing in.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2015, 11:40 PM »
I have both the Big Foot XL4000T and the Six Pac 1660 Thermal!  Awesome products love the Blue interior very warm very easy to set up lots of room handles the wind well nice big bag. I give both 5 stars 2nd year with the Big Foot 1 season with the Six Pack.  Otter makes quality products though. I think it would come down to your preference 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.