The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6 vs 8 inch Nils Convertible Auger?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
6 vs 8 inch Nils Convertible Auger?
« on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:47 PM »
The orange Nils for cordless drills..

I want one and hoping that this will replace my Jiffy 8". That said, I would like an 8 to keep to what I am used to hole wise however I hear the 6 will perform a little better. For those with an 8 or moved from an 8 to a 6, would love any feedback.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 6 vs 8 inch Nils Convertible Auger?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I bought an 8" Nils last year and it drills so easily I don't know why anyone would want to attach any kind of power head to it.  It drills so easily, why mess with the added weight of a drill or other type of power head?  I'm pushing 65 and if I find it easy, its easy.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2015, 05:28 PM »
  When you ask a cordless drill to replace a gas powerhead its sort of a lot to ask. 
 The more inch lbs of torque the better as far as cordless drill.
How much is enough?  I'd be looking for 700 in lbs or more and then 4 amp batteries.
 If it can spin a 8" SM Lazer it'll have no problem with a 8" Nils.  The coefficient of the Nils means less torque required to do the same task as a SM Lazer.   As far as drill and battery means more hole drilled with Nils.  While the cordless drill and auger seems slick and lightweight, longevity of the drill is IMO going to be short.   Yes I know the Milwaukee Brushless Fuel is a beast of a drill and on a 6" auger I'd be confident I wasn't over doing it.  Step up to and 8" and 3' of ice, I'm telling you that drill is going to get a work out.
Why am I talking about 3'+ ice, because when you drill it it leaves a lasting impression and thats what we get here in Northern MN.

If your real hot on going electric the Ice Gator Annihilator and Nils is something special.
It'll handle the 8' bit and 3' of ice and ask for more.   Plus if you go that route you'll use the standard Red Nils blade.  The IG will have plenty of torque so your speed of cut will be maxed out.  You'll also hands down have the faster electric auger on this Earth.
  It'll make the ION look like the training auger that it is. Sorry ION guys :)
 Then again if you get 12" or less of ice then a drill or by hand is the way to go.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:00 AM »
  When you ask a cordless drill to replace a gas powerhead its sort of a lot to ask. 
How much is enough?  I'd be looking for 700 in lbs or more and then 4 amp batteries.

I know. I'm a demanding customer. :)

I read the torque requirements/suggestion from Nils on the 8" and then went browsing. Not many models of cordless drills with 700 inch pounds and quite expensive. That's when the newer Ion or Icegator drills start to seem like a good deal. I don't want one of those though. Biggest fear being replacement parts down the road including the batteries.

I bought an 8" Nils last year and it drills so easily I don't know why anyone would want to attach any kind of power head to it.  It drills so easily, why mess with the added weight of a drill or other type of power head?  I'm pushing 65 and if I find it easy, its easy.

Did you buy the orange one with the drill attachment or old blue?

I'm starting to consider that I may just get the 8" blue one if it is that easy to drill with and trying it out for a year. When fishing solo or on lakes with a 2 trap l limit, my drilling needs go down so this would fit. When I'm fishing with a group, just bring the gasser to punch holes. I would really like to rid the thing but it just keeps going. Chipper blades also last many years and I have never sharpened them.

Either way I really think I am leaning towards an 8". Not many fish that will not fit through the 6" but we catch some big white perch that are near or just over 3 pounds and they are quite tall.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:26 AM »
I bought the eight inch orange convertible model last year to go with the Milwaukee Fuel 18 I already own and love it. Also have the blue/w red eight inch for hand work and I don't notice any difference in pressure on the drill vs the orange/w black head. They both seem to cut equally well, but the black head was recommended for cordless drill set up. It's supposed to be a bit less aggressive cutting angle and is easier on the drill. Never tried a six inch so cannot compare the two. You never knowing when the tug at the other end might be the wall fish, so I go nothing less than eight inch. If I were looking to have a drill dedicated to an auger I might look at other options, but I use the drill all year round. 

Offline Niteryder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2015, 01:17 PM »
The orange Nils for cordless drills..

I want one and hoping that this will replace my Jiffy 8". That said, I would like an 8 to keep to what I am used to hole wise however I hear the 6 will perform a little better. For those with an 8 or moved from an 8 to a 6, would love any feedback.

What did you get?  I have a mora 7" hand crank and just got rid of my 20 year old jiffy.  I am in the market for something lighter and not so smelly.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:38 PM »
What did you get?  I have a mora 7" hand crank and just got rid of my 20 year old jiffy.  I am in the market for something lighter and not so smelly.

Got the 8 but it arrives with issues and I will be returning for another ( I hope... They are out of stock right now). Similar to others I appreciate the extra room. That said, I never fished from a 6 besides the hole size condensing on cold days. I use a spud early season and even then target a 8 inch or sole size. Won't sell the gasser just yet but for trips to the two trap lakes I will use the hand auger with a drill. Gasser for when I am hosting the auger for larger group trips.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:49 AM »
 If it can spin a 8" SM Lazer it'll have no problem with a 8" Nils.  The coefficient of the Nils means less torque required to do the same task as a SM Lazer.   As far as drill and battery means more hole drilled with Nils.  While the cordless drill and auger seems slick and lightweight, longevity of the drill is IMO going to be short.   Yes I know the Milwaukee Brushless Fuel is a beast of a drill and on a 6" auger I'd be confident I wasn't over doing it.  Step up to and 8" and 3' of ice, I'm telling you that drill is going to get a work out.
Why am I talking about 3'+ ice, because when you drill it it leaves a lasting impression and thats what we get here in Northern MN.

If your real hot on going electric the Ice Gator Annihilator and Nils is something special.
It'll handle the 8' bit and 3' of ice and ask for more.   Plus if you go that route you'll use the standard Red Nils blade.  The IG will have plenty of torque so your speed of cut will be maxed out.  You'll also hands down have the faster electric auger on this Earth.
  It'll make the ION look like the training auger that it is. Sorry ION guys :)
 Then again if you get 12" or less of ice then a drill or by hand is the way to go.

Very well put, Frank.  That's all fact.  We don't often, get 30" of ice here; but occasionally we do.  I love my ice gator; and the 8" Nils with Frank's special touch.  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.