New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Rainbows at Night?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rainbows at Night?
« on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Has anyone had any luck catching rainbows at night? I usually fish in 3-6 FOW and have caught a few this year in the early morning. Is the night a better time? Considering it gets dark at 5 pm, how late are we talking ???  ???

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Re: Rainbows at Night?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Can't say that I know for sure, but I know that brown trout are by far the most nocturnal members of the salmonidae family.  I don't know how the rainbows will be, but you'll never know unless you find out!  :)

-Zach

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Always seemed to be first and last light for me   but not after dark never had much luck catching rainbows at night.

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:24 PM »
I've done pretty good catching rainbows at night through the open water... I've never tried it through the ice though... :-\ 

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:14 PM »
At night with a lantern I have done real good.(openwater)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Silverado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I have also done really well for rainbow's at night.  I also like to brook trout fish at night have had good success at it.  Mostly in pond's and small lakes.  Never tried through the ice.  May have to try it some night soon.   :tipup:   :D
2007 Ranger School Alumni

JJ

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:26 PM »
Try it, they will bite. A couple years ago I was setting up for rainbows at 5AM, by the time I got my 5th tipup in the first one was up and running. A 20" rainbow and it was pitch black out.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I've done pretty good catching rainbows at night through the open water... I've never tried it through the ice though... :-\ 
[Caroga,
Would you mind sharing any tips or techniques for bows at night on open water? Bait? DOW? Set up? ??? ???Thanks]

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:40 PM »
[Caroga,
Would you mind sharing any tips or techniques for bows at night on open water? Bait? DOW? Set up? ??? ???Thanks]
Lake clear wobbler.. I use the 1/2 silver 1/2 green(glow) Wobbler.. 3 ft of 6lb Vanish tied to a #6 hook with 1/2 a crawler.Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom and reel it up slow... 8 times out of 10 they will hit it on the fall.. 8pm seems to be the time for there majic runs.. Good luck..Let me know how ya make out come open water time..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.