Author Topic: How much weight is too much weight?  (Read 6312 times)

Offline tbulhead

• IceShanty Rookie
How much weight is too much weight?
« on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:00 AM »
Making a smitty sled to fit in the trunk of a car.  If I add a 30 lb auger and a pop-up ice shanty 25 - 35 lbs, how much weight becomes too much weight for one person to drag out over the ice?  Before you know it all the weight adds up.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How much weight is too much weight?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:14 AM »
depends on the person doing the dragging and how much snow and even how much clearance and conditions of the skis on the smitty. Even depends on how far your dragging. A fit guy can drag a lot of weight but add 6" of snow and he might want to go a bit lighter. You're the only one that can answer that question. You will find out what your limitations are.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:15 AM »
Depends on how strong you are and the conditions..I've had a gas auger, shack, 2 people's worth of gear, beer,bait, heater and 20lb tank on glare ice and pulled with a pinky..
 had shushy conditions and could barley pull a shack hand auger,and heater, that was not a fun day..
Glare ice...bring it all!! 300 lbs easy..
Slush.. carry what you can..
Stick to sled trails if you can.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:27 AM »
My otter lodge XT1200 weighs ~140 lbs. empty with the Hyfax runners and caddy in it.  Then I added beer, a 3 hp. Eskimo auger(now replaced with K-Drill set up), beer, a bucket of minnows, beer, a Mr. Buddy heater and 5 lb. propane tank, beer, a dozen or so tip ups, beer and handfull of jigging rods, beer, a snow shovel(when needed), two 5 gallon buckets, beer, foot mats, and other misc, gaff, etc. and beer.  Two inches of snow or less on the ice was doable.  More than two inches of snow was a bear.  A good bit of January and February last year, we had well over a foot of snow on the ice.  Luckily I had a buddy to help me drag almost every trip out.  Assembling the pieces/parts for an aluminum Smitty Sled right now.  Praying it works like everyone says they do.  Wish someone made lighter beer.  lol  We are not allowed any type of powered assistance on the ice in PA.   >:(
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:31 AM »
My otter lodge XT1200 weighs ~140 lbs. empty with the Hyfax runners and caddy in it.  Then I added beer, a 3 hp. Eskimo auger(now replaced with K-Drill set up), beer, a bucket of minnows, beer, a Mr. Buddy heater and 5 lb. propane tank, beer, a dozen or so tip ups, beer and handfull of jigging rods, beer, a snow shovel(when needed), two 5 gallon buckets, beer, foot mats, and other misc, gaff, etc. and beer.  Two inches of snow or less on the ice was doable.  More than two inches of snow was a bear.  A good bit of January and February last year, we had well over a foot of snow on the ice.  Luckily I had a buddy to help me drag almost every trip out.  Assembling the pieces part for an aluminum Smitty Sled right now.  Praying it works like everyone says they do.  Wish someone made lighter beer.  lol  We are not allowed any type of powered assistance on the ice in PA.   >:(

Jeez I can see the problem from here, why'd ya bring so many tipups?!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Jeez I can see the problem from here, why'd ya bring so many tipups?!

^^^^^^Great idea!My buddy and I are only allowed eight besides our jigging rods anyway.  Why carry extras?   ;)

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:17 AM »
A good rope can help out, long enough that you can step into the loop like a harness, a section of pool noodle with a slit cut in it will prevent the rope from digging in as you pull. If you're trying to pull with your arms behind you it won't go well if there is a good bit of snow.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:28 AM »
I pull a lot of gear on my Smitty. Well over 200 lbs. I'm 70 and usually fish alone. As Kevin said, on ice you have to look back to see if it is there. On deeper snow the type and condition of the skis matter. I used to ski a good bit, so I'm familiar with the equipment. If you can find a pair of modern "All Mountain" skis in a 170 to 180 cm length it will make your sled float better. And wax them a couple times a season. Skis like this are designed to "float" a 200+ lbs. man in snow, so your pull will be easier. worst choice is a pair of cross country skis if you will encounter any snow. They are meant to be used on a packed surface. You can find down hill skis at a rental shop or even eBay. I paid $25 for the ones in the picture on eBay. Building this Smitty Sled was the best thing I've done to make my ice fishing more enjoyable.

I agree a long rope attached to the tips of the skis really helps.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:36 AM »
14-16 foot rope is a must ...and step into the loop ...and "push" the rope ....Smitty's work great . I bring way to much gear...better to have than not have . Through deeper snow seems like they aren't effective ...then try w/o the Smitty ...you will be convinced of the genius of it all . I pull a Frabill Adventurer as well a unloaded Jet sled..then when I reach my area ...unload the Adventurer of some item into the Jet sled to keep things organized some . The Jet sled if not loaded too heavily does pull behind my Smitty via an eye screw and chain and carabineers . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:38 AM »
It all depends on the size of the onions you are hauling- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:09 AM »
I pull about 300 lbs on my Smitty sled. Otter lodge, lx-9, tip ups, tip downs, big buddy beater, 20lb propane tank, otter rod locker, a grill , the cooler bait and the list goes on. I'm a rather large person so I can pull that just fine. I have found that loading heavy towards the rear of the sled, makes for an easier pull. That and a long pull rope. I took a 2" ratchet strap to use as a pull rope. It puts less pressure on the gut when pulling.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:33 AM »
I've been looking for some kind of harness to wear attached to the rope to the smitty sled...something similar to the harnesses used to backpack climbing treestands to distribute the weight of the sled across my shoulders and chest as opposed to just pulling with arms.  Anyone make something like that for pulling something else that could be adapted to pulling the sled?

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I pull a Quickflip 2 on a smitty with my Fatfish 949, auger, heaters, buckets, thermus, gear, ect. I'm guessing I'm pulling about 250lbs and hardly break a sweat. As long as the legs on your smitty are high enough to keep you from plowing snow you can pull a lot of weight with a smitty. Another thing that help is to keep your tow rope as low on the sled as possible, like the ski tips.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I've been looking for some kind of harness to wear attached to the rope to the smitty sled...something similar to the harnesses used to backpack climbing treestands to distribute the weight of the sled across my shoulders and chest as opposed to just pulling with arms.  Anyone make something like that for pulling something else that could be adapted to pulling the sled?

I bought a harness for pulling deer out of the woods and tide it to sled rope it works great arms are free and it was cheap to boot  ;D
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:44 AM »

Maybe a tree stand safty harness would work.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:49 AM »
As for the strap I use one off of a golf bag plenty strong and wont cut into you!
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:59 AM »

I just cut a peace of 4 inch nylon strap (about 5' length) put a metal grommet on each end and attach a rope from the grommet to the ski of my smitty. I put the strap over one shoulder, across my chest and under the opposite arm. I can barely even feel it!
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:00 AM »
you can shave 20# offf the auger by switching to a drill instead of power head.

use the smitty skies in snow and use hyfax always on the sled for when it's not on the smitty skies. makes pulling so much easier. i might add them to my skies next.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:07 AM »
I bought a harness for pulling deer out of the woods and tide it to sled rope it works great arms are free and it was cheap to boot  ;D
I also did this. Works great
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:21 AM »
My brother and I have identical otter sleds.  Mine is on a smitty and his is not.  In my sled I have a power auger, pop-up hub, underwater camera, 20lb propane tank, a couple dozen tip-ups, half a dozen rods, a folding chair, minnow bucket, and usually a case or so of beer.  In his he has 4 rods, 5 tip-ups, a 6 inch hand auger, and sometimes a minnow bucket.  His is much harder to pull than mine is.  That's why I carry the beer.   

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:40 AM »

That was a great idea!!!  Perfect!  Thank you!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:48 AM »
some of us do it differently. my buddy simply throws the rope over one shoulder down across his chest and pulls. i added a length of pvc to hold the rope wider and then step in the rope so it is in front of me and i rest it at my belt line. hurts the back some tho, but i want my hands in front of me, not behind.
thinking i can use the pvc as an ice anchor if need be. i ran the rope in thru it twice so it isn't as free moving. i just used 1 1/2" or maybe it's smaller.

maybe this year i'll add a length of pex and try it over the shoulder.

Offline Fishhouse5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Just bought the harness for pulling deer.  Also making a Smitty to make pulling easier.
Last few years used an old backpack.  Extra gloves, hat and socks inside.  Hook a caribeaner to the rope and the loop on the backpack.
My son uses his disc golf bag harness to pull his sled.  A longer rope helps too.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:19 AM »
 I built a big  Smitty sled, was pulling my Eskimo Quick6, 20lb bottle, chairs, shovel, big buddy, all kinds of stuff on about 5 inches of snow Saturday. It pulled decent, but still wearing on me, so I started messing around and pushed it a little ways and quickly realized its takes a 1\4 of the effort to push. Went home built a push bar for it and went back out Sunday morning. Worked awesome!!! Pushed it about 1 mile one way and was good. My handle come out bigger than I really wanted but it allows for 2 people to push it which works great also !! I'm never pulling that sled again, I'll push it from now on lol
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:37 AM »
good idea. If you can get a pic of it, I would like to see that. ;)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Guy I know had some knee surgery and rigged his up so he could push his, help him stand upright and could shuffle along.  Pretty sure it made it easier on him rather than pulling on it.
Bud

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I've always wanted to mount skis on a plastic shopping cart..

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Depends on the person and on the ice conditions. But if you always keep trying to be as lite as posdible in mind you should be ok.

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:05 AM »
some of us do it differently. my buddy simply throws the rope over one shoulder down across his chest and pulls. i added a length of pvc to hold the rope wider and then step in the rope so it is in front of me and i rest it at my belt line. hurts the back some tho, but i want my hands in front of me, not behind.
thinking i can use the pvc as an ice anchor if need be. i ran the rope in thru it twice so it isn't as free moving. i just used 1 1/2" or maybe it's smaller.

maybe this year i'll add a length of pex and try it over the shoulder.

I use the PVC as well but I also added a shoulder strap off an old tackle box the I put over my neck and its attached to both sides of the pvc so if I stop it doesn't fall. I used this all last year and it works great. The other thing I did was used a pool noodle to slide over the pvc and that made it more comfortable on my ribs.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Maybe a tree stand safty harness would work.

I made one out of extra harness ...worked well but don't use that often ...Love my Smittys
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.