The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Best Boots?  (Read 7368 times)

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
Best Boots?
« on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:17 AM »
I know this topic has been discussed, but I'm hoping to hear what people are saying currently about what they wear. I have worn Lacrosse Alpha Ice Kings (pack boots) for the last four seasons. They have always kept me warm and dry. The drawbacks seem to be how heavy they are, and that they only go above the ankle, so deep slush is a problem. At the end of last season the rubber around the toe box on both boots began to crack. They remain waterproof due to a membrane, but I can feel the coldness of the water coming in now. So, I'm looking for new boots, whatcha got?
I fish.                                                         

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Boots?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:22 AM »
I use the field and stream 1000g thinsulate boots. Thy are rubber camo. Sold at dicks. I have turned 3 of my buddies on to them. Had Mine for 3 years and always have warm/dry feet. I use them snowmobiling too with ankle socks... They are nice.. And not real hard on the wallet. They were on sale for 70 something recently. I know lacrosse is usually way more than that. Same with muck.

Offline ducksdown07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Mickey mouse boots. Can get them cheap, and you'll never be cold. Heavy as hell though
Some people say "if it flies it dies"
I'm on record that "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:45 AM »
5 years on my Muck artic pro's ,   Love them!

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Typically my LL Bean lined slippers, but when I have to venture outside to fish, I use Muck Arctic for wet conditions, or Cabela's 1200 Gram Pacific Boots for normal conditions.

Offline Bad Heering

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Do you have cold feet to begin with? Some people do
I love my mucks light weight waterproof and my feet stay warm even when I Jig

Offline whitefishlover

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:03 AM »
I bought these last year.  I have poor circulation in my feet and had pack boots, but they were heavy and my feet would still get cold.  Never once last year did my feet get cold.  1 pair of normal socks is all I wore.  I really love these!!

http://365outdoorwear.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-mens-insulated-monolithic-hunting-boots-waterproof-thinsulate-2400-gram?a=898537&pm2d=CSE-WWS-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WWSX*0180155267582&gclid=CLuzzPKSz8kCFYMbHwodb6oLVw
"A bad day of fishin' is much  better than a good day of work" :)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:12 AM »
I like the mucks and bogs winter stuff for less than extreme days. But, for really cold days, the Mickey Mouse boots are the answer. I think if you died out there, your feet would be the last to freeze. If you wear 10’s or 7’s, these guys have em pretty cheap http://www.knutsonlivebait.com. Military Supply also has a large selection, for more $s. I have two pair. One, I’m planning to put screws in. MG39 showed me that trick.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Glacier Bay Ranger

For specs:  http://newenglandmarine.com/products-page/browse-by/ranger-glacier-bay-boot-a229/

Reny's usually carries them

Offline Bad Heering

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Glacier Bay Ranger

For specs:  http://newenglandmarine.com/products-page/browse-by/ranger-glacier-bay-boot-a229/

Reny's usually carries them

Comfort zone -80F ... cmon man who is outside at that temp

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Liam the best ones I have found are my slippers resting on the recliner.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2015, 01:16 PM »
X2 for the Arctic mucks comfort and warm in most conditions but I live my kamik Canucks when its really cold and snow pack, super warm, light and very comfortable boots. I hate taking them off when I get home.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2015, 01:22 PM »
baffins. expensive but only boot I've worn that will keep you warm at any temp. and i have bad circulation. they're the same boots issued to canadian military. -158f rated and waterproof!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2015, 03:31 PM »
baffins. expensive but only boot I've worn that will keep you warm at any temp. and i have bad circulation. they're the same boots issued to canadian military. -158f rated and waterproof!

I think I’ll look into these. They look a lot  less gommy then my mickey mouse ones. AND they ONLY cost about 8 times as much! But really; They look like the ticket. 230+ isn’t that scary to stay comfortable.  Quite a few choices. What are you using JS? How much do they weigh?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2015, 03:55 PM »
I have several boots for different conditions. My everyday winter boots are Keen Summit County. They have Keen's 300 gram insulation with 600 gram in the toes. Keen has redesigned this boot with 400 gram insulation which is probably too much for above 0 degree days. I'll be looking for some boots with 200-300 gram insulation to replace my old Keens.
If the temperature is below -15 I wear LaCrosse hunting boots with 600 gram thinsulate. I can't imagine needing more insulation than that. My other boots are for extra wet conditions or have studded soles for traction.
The most important insulation in any boot is between your feet and the ground (or ice). An insulated insole will keep your feet warmer than 3 million gram insulation in the rest of the boot. Closed cell foam is probably the best insulator for insoles. I cut my own from a yoga mat. They only last 3-4 weeks before the foam gets too compressed under my heels. When I can cut enough insoles from a $14 yoga mat that  I don't worry about durability.

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2015, 03:59 PM »
My Cabelas Predator Extreme's are unbelievable.  My feet are usually too hot in them.  When slushy I like my knee high rubber boots with 1200 gram insulation.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Stop by Reny's and get a pair of Ranger insulated boots, with the wool liner.  They are easy
on easy off, and warm as hell.  I've had a lot of boots and these are the best for ice fishing.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I have several boots for different conditions. My everyday winter boots are Keen Summit County. They have Keen's 300 gram insulation with 600 gram in the toes. Keen has redesigned this boot with 400 gram insulation which is probably too much for above 0 degree days. I'll be looking for some boots with 200-300 gram insulation to replace my old Keens.
If the temperature is below -15 I wear LaCrosse hunting boots with 600 gram thinsulate. I can't imagine needing more insulation than that. My other boots are for extra wet conditions or have studded soles for traction.
The most important insulation in any boot is between your feet and the ground (or ice). An insulated insole will keep your feet warmer than 3 million gram insulation in the rest of the boot. Closed cell foam is probably the best insulator for insoles. I cut my own from a yoga mat. They only last 3-4 weeks before the foam gets too compressed under my heels. When I can cut enough insoles from a $14 yoga mat that  I don't worry about durability.

Good info! Thanks!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2015, 04:39 PM »
My Cabelas Predator Extreme's are unbelievable.  My feet are usually too hot in them.  When slushy I like my knee high rubber boots with 1200 gram insulation.

I agree the Predator Extremes are by far the most warm ,comfortable boot i have ever worn. and like the name says I have fished the extreme in them from deep slush to 25 below zero without so much as a chilly piggy toe!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2015, 04:58 PM »
baffins. expensive but only boot I've worn that will keep you warm at any temp. a

I paid $80 Cdn for Titans last year. I don't consider that expensive.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2015, 05:29 PM »
warmest boots I have ever owned.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2015, 05:30 PM »
I agree the Predator Extremes are by far the most warm ,comfortable boot i have ever worn. and like the name says I have fished the extreme in them from deep slush to 25 below zero without so much as a chilly piggy toe!
Did you try them outside the shack?  ;) ;D

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:00 PM »

Me also.  I usually wear my Muck Woody Sports with an extra felt footbed.  Last winter as cold as it was I wore my Cabelas Predator Extremes a lot.  My feet never get cold at all in them, and I get cold feet pretty easy.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:21 PM »
I think I’ll look into these. They look a lot  less gommy then my mickey mouse ones. AND they ONLY cost about 8 times as much! But really; They look like the ticket. 230+ isn’t that scary to stay comfortable.  Quite a few choices. What are you using JS? How much do they weigh?
the impacts aren't  bad but aren't 100% water proof like the leather upper apex. the apex is a little heavier. pm sent.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:08 PM »
I've had great luck with my Baffns. Relatively light for a full rubber boot,they have I think a 7 layer liner,and a honeycomb insole that I think is key to warmth by creating an air space between your foot ant the bottom of the boot. Just my opinion of course, but I've logged a lot of ice miles in them and now won't be without a pair.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Adding to my previous post, 13 winters working outside at ski resorts and 10 years training and racing sled dogs has given me more opportunity to test boots than most people get in a lifetime. The three biggest things I have learned is what I already mentioned about insoles, too much insulation is worse than none and there's no such thing as waterproof boots.

Excessive insulation causes your feet to overheat and sweat. That means wet feet which turn into cold feet. 30 years ago I used to wear Sorel boots with the wool felt liners. My feet were warm, then sweaty and wet, then wet and cold. That plus those boots did not have a footbed with good support. That's no good if you're on your feet all day.

No matter what boots you wear you will get wet feet. You will step in deep slush and water gets in the tops or enters around the tongue or through the stitching. Synthetic materials dry quicker and breathable materials can dry while you wear the boots. The only time for rubber boots is if you know you will be walking through water, slush or wet snow. Rubber does not breath and wet feet stay wet.

If you can afford it buy two pair of boots and an electric boot dryer. Switch boots on alternate days so they can thoroughly dry and the footbed decompresses. The boots last much longer costing you less over time. That's true for any footwear. Don't forget good socks.

A lot of the kids I have worked with at the resorts complained about cold, sore feet. When I ask what they are wearing it's obvious why. They buy $35 boots from Reny's or Walmart and wear three pairs of cotton socks in them. Once they get their first piece of good gear and feel the difference they start to understand how proper clothing makes harsh conditions easier to handle

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I would have to say  Cabelas Predator Extreme's

Offline troutmster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:30 PM »
Baffin Titan boots really rock.. That honey comb collects moisture and keeps it away from feet.. I worn Micky's since 1985 and yes they are a great boot that can and will keep u from loosing toes..They have a 8 layer liner that surpasses any other liner made..I spend most my time without a shack and don't like cold feet..The Baffin Titan are about the same weight as Bunnies but so much more comfy..Definitely the warmest boot Ive ever worn..No need for warmers and Ive used warmers in my bunnies just for comfort..Truly an amazing boot that is very cheap considering the price of most boots nowadays.. Check them out!!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2015, 03:28 AM »
Cabela's Trans-Alaska III .

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:36 AM »
La cross alpha burly with 800 gram insulation and a good wicking socks