Author Topic: Marcum lx-7 to lx-9 Upgrade  (Read 2331 times)

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Not affiliated with MarCum Tech.
Marcum lx-7 to lx-9 Upgrade
« on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:04 AM »
i thought i would share what it was like going through the process for you all that might be thinking about or might later on.
i called marcum because i didn't find the how to do it on their site. at first he was trying to tell me how to find it, but then thought just help me get it done. Jeremiah is the person who takes the calls for the most part. actually i called and no one  but voice mail took the call and i hung up and thought it's not for me to have the upgrade yet. then he called me back and i left no message  when i had called. so he used caller ID and called back. i thought that's great service right there, and it is.
so i asked what do i send and he said just the head unit and the transducer. make sure to bubble wrap it all and pay to ship it. then he asked for a credit card and said 530$ how would i like to pay? i asked why so high for return shipping and he tired other ways to lower it and probably was fumbling with their web page drop downs to pick other methods of shipping and found one for 22$. i said sold and thanks.

about one week goes by and several emails to keep me posted and i get a box thats the same size as a new one comes in. it was much heavier and i thought why so heavy and double checked the shipping lable and it was marcumtech.
brought in all excited!
so i started cutting tape and found another box inside the otter box. had to cut tape on that box too. inside that box was a brand new lx-9 complete. case, shuttle, battery and the new rear facing camera pouch. only thing it didn't have was a new charger.
also, i had called before to talk about cameras with another person who used to work there and he said they are tossing in the 50$ cam panner for free for the off season. i reminded Jeramia about that and he honored it. it's a nice looking unit too. takes C cell batteries that i will use double A cells and use  C cell adapters to go with the sanyo eneloops i only use. it is bigger than i thought from pictures i have seen. feels solid, but the screws i hope are stainless steel. there are plenty of them and will be down in water and ice and snow. if i see them starting to rust i will look for stainless to replace them with. the cord is heavy duty and long.

so the camera was why i shipped it off for the face lift. i wanted to mess with it (no ice here yet) and check it out some. it is made in china :(  , it is heavy (makes sense to me), it does show the relative direction, water temp and depth and costs 280$ to replace in case you slice your cable. the head unit has plenty of on board controls for it light brightness, color saturation, camera light on/off dvr, and more. it does not have infrared led's and i asked Jeramiah to offer them so we can switch between them and the bright white led's that comes with it. it has an onboard 4gb sd card for recording.
the display is perfect for being "placeable" meaning it can be in HUD (heads up display) and that's how it's shipped. so it is the back ground color for those who have the lx6/7, you know what that means, except now there is no back gound color and is replaced with the camera view. it can be switched up to other positions or views. like half and half or full screen or off.
 i am looking forward to trying it out and maybe update this thread later.
while i had them on the phone, i brought up some ideas i have and i do this with any ice gear manufacturer and suggested to build us an arm with led's under it and have the switch on the head unit and make the arm aluminum. Jeremiah also uses the lx-9 and said great idea and he will for sure run it to research and developing.
i hope they make one!!
i can find aftermarket arms with no led's on them so you have to add your own wires and switch like i do now, but would be nice to have it stream lined. those who have laws about it lighting to attract fish would have to keep the light off or not buy one if it's an accessory item.

so i did the math and after paying all that shipping, was 20$ for me to ship and 22$ for me to have them ship it back and 500$ for the upgrade and the lx-7 on sale for 580$ i did okay. i paid 1122$ in all. i didn't want to buy the lx-9 if it was a dud, so to know, i had to buy the lx-7 and i love it! so it was time to get the best they have to offer.
also, the extra parts i have now are nice just in case i need any of them.
 i did talk about the rt-9 and if it was right for me. he said it's not. it's not because the few lakes i fish have no contour charts/maps for navionics or others to use. that's the big deal with the marcum rt-9 is the gps for contours.
 i was torn about which way to spend with them until he told me it would be no reason to have it. it got pushed back to middle/late january now, for those still looking to buy it.
i didn't save much at all money wise, but did learn it is the best unit on the market today and that was my goal to find out. the search is over!

they throw in another two years warranty when you do this upgrade, so it would behoove you to wait two years for your upgrade so you'll have 4 years warranty in all.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Marcum lx-7 to lx-9 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:34 AM »
You won't be disappointed with the camera option, just don't expect prolonged battery life if you plan on using it to its full extent, haha. The metal transducer arms are a great upgrade, I was lucky enough to get one of the ones that Shane made before he stopped making them. Rumor has it he may start up again when he gets more time... The next upgrade I will be getting is a Lithium Ion battery to lighten the unit up. After this season I will be getting the high speed open water transducer for sure...

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:51 AM »
so it's a battery hog now. thanks for that info!
i did see the post of the lithium's on the general board for 65$ on ebay. the charger is whats holding me back so far.
i have 2 transducers one is damaged in the cable and i might hull mount into my kayak with marine goop. i have a boat too, but it hasn't been out in a few years now.

i do take 2 lsa batteries now. one for shack lighting, but if it comes to that or sonar, the sonar will get the second battery.
maybe i should make a ammo box mod to let the lx9's charge quick connecter use the ammo battery in parallel for while in the shack. then it draws off two batteries at one time. or more if you add more to the ammo box. so i cig. lighter port on the ammo box thats got a water proof cover and build a cig. to 2 wire quick connect adapter. the cig. lighter could also be used for usb charger.

did you ever get a mount you wanted? the mount it comes with should work, but you wanted the ram mount i think.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:08 AM »
I haven't gotten around to getting the mount yet. Getting married in January and a lot of time and sacrifices have been made for that, haha.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Oh Man!
how some of us know that!

BIG congratulations !! 
where's the bachelor party? heheh

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum