The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Solo Augers - Recoil and Fuel Line Issues Fixed?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
So, I have some gift cards to use up and am thinking it's time to upgrade my hand auger and shop for a gas auger. Where I live, we don't see much more than 20" of ice at it's thickest, so I was looking at a couple lower-end Eskimos, and the Strikemaster Chipper Lite. I'm walking, pulling a sled by hand, so I'd rather have light weight and a compact machine, over hole drilling speed. Also, I don't want to spend over $350 or so.

When I search for info on the Chipper Lite, I don't find a lot, but I do find a lot of posts of complaints on the Strikemaster Solo models. Mostly, it sounds like issues with the recoil assembly (too much grease?), and the fuel lines leaking or something... but those posts are all 3 years old.

So, have these issues been fixed since then? I really don't see many newer complaints. Anyone have any updated reviews?

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Strikemaster Solo Augers - Recoil and Fuel Line Issues Fixed?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I'm sure they were addressed immediately once they figured it out. Learning curve with a new motor. I just scored a great deal from Reeds on a Strikemaster laser. Got the VIP price when I put it in my cart. Best price I've seen anywhere with free shipping and no sales tax.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:26 PM »
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. My gift cards are all with Cabelas, so I'm waiting on a sale from them. No tax for me in Iowa from them if I have it shipped.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2015, 07:11 PM »
Well, I ended up with the Chipper Lite. Not a lot of info or first hand reviews so I was thinking of writing something up, or maybe a video demo when we get some ice. There are some differences on the Lite versus the other Solo models, a review might be helpful for someone looking at buying one.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I've got 2 extra recoils that I'll rebuild in the offseasons just because I put a lot of use on my auger. When one would go down I'd get a replacement just to have. When the first one was "defective" Strikemaster sent me one, I used and abused that one so I ended up finding one at Reeds for $15 and needed it so I picked it up.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2015, 10:45 PM »
I've got 2 extra recoils that I'll rebuild in the offseasons just because I put a lot of use on my auger. When one would go down I'd get a replacement just to have. When the first one was "defective" Strikemaster sent me one, I used and abused that one so I ended up finding one at Reeds for $15 and needed it so I picked it up.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into a spare recoil. One of he things the Chipper Lite is supposed to have is a redesigned recoil. They also did away with the compression release button, not sure if that is good or bad as far as stress on the recoil.

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2015, 08:14 AM »
I have drilled 1000's of holes with my Lazer pro over 3-4 years.  My recoil is still working like new.  Not sure why you would have burned through so many with your auger?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2015, 02:35 PM »
MOST recoil problems are caused by pulling the rope to the end of its travel. Just sayin-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:27 AM »
MOST recoil problems are caused by pulling the rope to the end of its travel. Just sayin-
I agree.....just pull it to your chest.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:43 AM »
I was recently reading about the gas line leak when  wrong line was installed.  I believe it was black plastic which has been corrected.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:32 PM »
I have two strikemaster augers. One is a lazer pro and the other a chipper mag,last Sunday evening my fuel filter line cracked. It was terribly cold so I simply blame it on the weather but my local small engine shop had a new one sent overnight and the removal of the old one and installation of the new was relatively easy.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.