Author Topic: 4" augur  (Read 1638 times)

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
4" augur
« on: Nov 07, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Does anyone use a four inch  auger. Is there much difference between a 4 inch and a six inch hand auger as far as effort. I'm thinking of using a 4 inch for running and gunning to locate fish and use my 6 inch when I find the fish. I fish a lot of lakes for trout and panfish.  Would a cordless drill last longer with a four inch. Thanks Bill

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 4" augur
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2015, 08:50 AM »
I don't find it much harder to punch holes depending on the size, but more so depending on the auger. The only auger I will ever own is a Stikemaster Lazer, lots of great ones out there, but my personal favorite. I had a 4 inch, but sold it and it are right through. Now I have a 7 and I don't notice much of a difference.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2015, 10:05 AM »
4 inch holes freeze up faster in my opinion. Plus have had times where I cant get large crappie through the hole. But for gills 4 inch in fine. New ice I use a six inch hole. When ice gets thick the 8 inch power auger comes out.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2015, 10:48 AM »
theres times when the 4 is nice perch fishing trying to stay with them,gill fishing, when it's warmer than 32 degrees and blades are always cheaper someone might want one for the clam plate if someone else brings a 6 or bigger when you find the spot.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2015, 11:02 AM »
I have a 4", 5" and 6" all use the Mora of Sweden (Lazer style) blades and have offset handles. You notice the turning effort less with offset handles. I can't really tell a lot of difference and use the 6" the vast majority of the time. If you do a lot of perch and trout fishing and want the smallest hole the 5" would be a good compromise. The 4" drills a 4.5" diameter hole, the 5" drills a 5.5" diameter and so on.

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Thanks . I think I'll go with the strikemaster Lazar 6". 

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I started with a 7" old blue Mora.  Wasn't impressed then went to a 5" s/m lazer which between the smaller size and the lazer blades is great.  I use it early ice and for later use my  8" /sm lazer gas auger.  Wasn't easy but pulled or squeezed a 6.1 lb catfish thru the 5" hole one time.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:09 PM »
ill be trying a 4 inch mora I got at  a garage sale this year.probably easy to drill holes and pull up gills and perch but im worried about pulling specks thru the ice.if it doesn't work I have a few  5,6,7 and 8" augers I can switch to.i never turn away from ice augers at garage sales.haha

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2015, 12:08 AM »
With the small drills you can drill 2 or 3 holes beside eachother and take out the ice in the middle with a spud. I'll often time drill two holes close together, one for jigging th eother for the ducer. If you sit in the trap long enough with the heater on the ice in the middle will melt out.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:30 AM »
i have the 4" lazer and use it when the ice is thick looking for fish up north. saves battery and time and is fishable. just make an overlapped hole if you need bigger.
i use my 6" lazer most of the time.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I've used a 4" Mora for years and really liked it. Because of shoulder injuries and rotator cuff damage, I purchased a 6" Convertible Orange Nils Hand Auger near the end of last season and going to add a drill & the Clam Plate Unit to it.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline LuckE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2016, 12:05 AM »
I love my Clam Drill Plate setup. 4" holes would be great for a side hole for a transducer or a  perch, trout or any cylindrical bodied fish but as far as any water holding larger species i will go with  a 5-6" Strikemaster  Lazer. They go through the ice with ease attached to my Milwaukee M 18.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:23 PM »
All I use is a 5" lazer...never had any problems and it cuts pretty well

Catchin' Fish

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I have a 4 inch just for early season perch,really easy to drill  and big enough for panfish.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2016, 06:55 PM »
I have a 4" and 6" mora. I've used the 4" the last couple winters because of 2' ice and I've pulled many crappie and a handful of bass though no real problems. Largest issue I have is fishing it with a transducer but lifting it out becomes natural after a few fish. I prefer 6" when ice is "normal" for around here. There's a noticeable difference to me drilling between the 2 both with fresh sharpened blades same trip out did a comparison. Don't be afraid of the 4" it's sporting

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2016, 04:55 PM »
I have a 5" mora and a 6" lazer. Both with brand new blades, the 5" mora drills MUCH easier. Not really noticeable on first ice, but when it gets 10"+ it is very noticeable. I use the 6" for early ice and then the 5" when i go somewhere where i cannot use my gas auger mid-late ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:51 AM »
I have both a 4 and 6. Had the 4" but had a lot of hookups on the edge of the hole, so I moved up to a 6" for a little more working room. No difference in the effort required to punch a hole. Still like the 4" when I want to travel light and the ice isn't thick.

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Hey Guys,

Not sure if this has been answered on another post but I have a question. I've always used a Mora 5" auger, but picked up a used 4" Mora today. I've always wanted a 4" for some reason, and was going to fix thing up. Sandblast and paint, cut handle down and make adjustable, and get new blades. Problem is, I can't find blades! Anyone know where I can find 4" Mora blades? Do Lazer blades work? I don't want to buy Lazer blades since it looks like they are $35 a set. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Hey Guys,

Not sure if this has been answered on another post but I have a question. I've always used a Mora 5" auger, but picked up a used 4" Mora today. I've always wanted a 4" for some reason, and was going to fix thing up. Sandblast and paint, cut handle down and make adjustable, and get new blades. Problem is, I can't find blades! Anyone know where I can find 4" Mora blades? Do Lazer blades work? I don't want to buy Lazer blades since it looks like they are $35 a set. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!
yeah 4 inch mora blades very hard to find for sure.get a hold of Old Goat on here. he may know where to get some.i got a set from him a few months ago.4 inch lazer blades will not work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.