Author Topic: converting lowrance elite7dsi for the ice (updated)  (Read 2828 times)

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
converting lowrance elite7dsi for the ice (updated)
« on: Oct 30, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Wanted to do this project last year but never got around to it.  Followed the parts list from a build on youtube and did some tweaks to the guys original design so I thought I'd share.  Still not sure If I want to do a second battery or not but the option is there by using the small ram mount for the 7" screen, there is plenty of room for mulitple batteries.

I started by pulling the foam bottom piece out of the clam bag and drawing a template onto my plywood.  I cut the piece (approx 11.5"w and 8.5"h)  sanded the edges to round them just like the piece of foam.  Wood will sit on top of the foam and I will be mounting ram mount ball and the pvc piece to hold the transducer (still not sure what size pvc as I haven't recieved the transducer yet) I had some old campaign signs that I am going to measure and cut for the insides of the bag (to help with rigidity) which I'll staple to the wood at the bottom and gorilla tape the sides to kind of "box in" the unit.  I've had different versions of these soft sided bags before and never liked the extra space/material that made it awkward to carry or store in the sled.  Once I decide on the final "floorplan" I'll add an open eye bolt at the front to run the transducer cord through so its nice and neat on the ice and always at the ready.  Should be finished as soon as the parts come in, any questions or suggestions please feel free to post.

my parts list (will add as the project finishes)

12v battery (had a couple sitting around from other flashers)
clam 9749 flasher/gear bag
eagle pti-wbl portable transducer
Lowrance Power Cable for HDS PC-30-RS422
small piece of plywood
something to seal the wood (i just spraypainted mine)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: converting lowrance elite7dsi for the ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Looking good!!!

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: converting lowrance elite7dsi for the ice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2015, 04:39 PM »
got a little bit further on "the bag" tonight.  Works in simulator mode just as expected and everything fits in the bag no problem.  The ram mount was def the way to go as the unit can be adjusted for any situation and when sitting in front of it, the window view is perfect. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: converting lowrance elite7dsi for the ice (updated)
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:31 PM »
great work!!!

Catchin' Fish

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:56 PM »
how good does that transducer due at say 30 60 and 90 ft.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2015, 05:27 PM »
going to have to find out OG, works awesome on the boat with the downscan transducer so I'm expecting half of that.  Ordered another ds transducer just in case the regular one sucks.  Already drew out plans for rigging a boat setup to the ice :)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2015, 06:08 PM »
looks awesome                just curious on the depth of transducer got a X96 here less the ice ducer

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2015, 07:57 PM »
i have a the elite 5 hdi unit and learned last year that the batteries, the same one as in your pics, dont last long at all on the ice. i called customer service and they told me it must be because of the cold. i was getting on average of about 3 hours out of 1 battery. i bring 2 with me but it still will not get through my day on the ice. i also have the x67 model and that will last 2-3 days on 1 battery. just goes to show how much more the newer units draw on the battery.  ohhh my day on the ice is from pitch black, about a hour before sunup, until after sunset to as late as 11 pm...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:28 AM »
I've played the battery game myself with all my camera equipment and found that the easiest way to combat the super cold days is to throw a hand warmer in my camera case/bag.  Works awesome, I'll probably do the same with this setup and see how it works.  I also run a optima deep cycle battery on longer trips so rigging the unit to that is also an option.  Thanks for the input! now I wont forget handwarmers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.