The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: IceGator (and Nils) discussion  (Read 10602 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
IceGator (and Nils) discussion
« on: Oct 15, 2015, 05:23 PM »
That thread on propane vs electric augers got pretty off-topic and heated so let's have a respectful discussion about IceGator plusses and minuses versus others in that class. Full disclosure, I run a 4 year old IceGator powerhead with a Li-ion battery upgrade and 8" Lazer lower unit w/ripper teeth. There are many fine gas augers out there, each with a large fan base, in my opinion the only unit that can match the IceGator for speed and dependability in an 8" auger is the Nils/Tanaka 27cc. One is electric, one is gas. Going up to a 10" auger, the Cadillacs are the IceGator Annihilator and the Nils/Tanaka 35cc. Film I've seen shows them drilling at about the same speed. These are not weekend warrior drills. Their market is guides and money fisherman who will drill lots of big holes everyday through real thick ice. Also made for guys that drive Humvees and hunt deer with a .300 Mag. They're spendy, the 9.5" IceGator is about $700 and the 10"/ 35cc Nils runs about $850 though my local guy has a couple he'd sell at $800.
  IceGator has a rep for spotty customer service. Three years ago I was also piling on with some scathing comments concerning switch burnout and not being able to get it replaced. However, it wasn't long before they sent me the re-designed switch cassette at no charge and end of problem. Since then it's all been roses. Please understand that they're a very small operation. Greg Pepple designs and builds these things. His wife does the books. They're decent folks who get pinched between customer and vendor sometimes and maybe don't handle every problem like a big corporation would. If you've got a beef about their products and service, now's your chance. If you like their stuff, as I do, let's hear that story too.
Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IceGator (and Nils) discussion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:13 PM »
 my fingers are too tired to respond at length, but i had a gator...crapped out first use, had to fix it myself - repeatedly.  was never able to get a hold of them via phone or email, left voice mails.  once i had it working right i loved it but i would not recommend anyone buying an icegator, unless you're somewhat handy.

nowadays if a guy wants an electric option i'm not sure why you wouldn't just go with a cordless drill and a few batteries.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I've got an Icegator/nils8" combo and love it.  Only problem I've ever had was an electrode fell out of place.  A Phillips screwdriver and 2 minutes and it was going again.  Not rocket science to fix.  I also have a Tanaka with 8" nils and a Jiffy pro 8".  That said the Jiffy is a garage decoration.  It served me good, but the gator goes with in the shack every time and the tanaka goes hole hoping.  I have personally drilled over 100 holes through 30" of ice on one charge with the gator.  Would not hesitate to buy another one.  Mike at Pheasent Country (a Gator dealer) in Redfield, SD has most of any parts on hand that you would need to service an Icegator.
Gunnerdog

Offline Icegator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2015, 08:02 PM »
First of thanks for starting this thread and not bad mouthing me, very well put.  I have developed products in the past that have failed. Switch issues, motor issues and battery issues. I had to discontinue the Li-ion battery pack for the Attacker ll.  Some tuff times for my company. For those that could not get a hold of me I apologize I wish I had the funds to just give you all a 42 volt but I don't. Deep ice has always been an issue for me. The new patent pending 9.5 cutter head solves all that. Look for customer service to get a lot better because that will soon become my main focus.
Icegator Product Support

Offline Icegator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Icegator & Nils- I really like this topic. For all of you who fish for perch in places like Simco/Canada other areas around the county with deep ice. When you put a 6" Nils on an Icegator it is almost unfair for the perch Lol!! The Nils Icegator combo is in a class all its own in speed and the amount of holes you can get per charge. The Nils is by far my favorite auger to put on an Icegator when it comes to 6" or 8" bit. It amazes me everytime I use it.
Icegator Product Support

Offline Hunterfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Still working on that customer service I see

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:22 PM »
I've always been interested in the icegator but my Tanaka 27cc has been unstoppable running trufuel....The Nils 8" head has been great.  Went through a couple seasons of commercial use and then I beat the crap out of it last year...Ill post a picture sometime, I've even dented the blade on one side and it still rips holes.  I have heard many have had issues, but then again many people can barely drive so I tend to lean towards user error as a cause.  I've seen plenty of people who just dont have the coordiantion to drill with an offset handle! 

Offline tiptop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I bought a nils ice auger cut a couple holes and it just did not cut right sent it back and bought a another one it was just as bad I would not recommend them to any one a waist of money to replace blades are 80 bucks you can buy a cheaper auger that will out perform that for half the price I wih I had better o say about it but burned twice not a fluke I bought a ion ice auger hoping it will live up to its name

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Icegator, I've had one of your units for 5 yrs. +\- . So far so good. My only complaint is that it's heavy to carry on first ice. I've drilled an outhouse full of holes on an honest 30" and loaned it out a good deal and never had a problem with deep ice. Then again I only run a 6" auger.

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:56 PM »
That thread on propane vs electric augers got pretty off-topic and heated so let's have a respectful discussion about IceGator plusses and minuses versus others in that class. Full disclosure, I run a 4 year old IceGator powerhead with a Li-ion battery upgrade and 8" Lazer lower unit w/ripper teeth. There are many fine gas augers out there, each with a large fan base, in my opinion the only unit that can match the IceGator for speed and dependability in an 8" auger is the Nils/Tanaka 27cc. One is electric, one is gas. Going up to a 10" auger, the Cadillacs are the IceGator Annihilator and the Nils/Tanaka 35cc. Film I've seen shows them drilling at about the same speed. These are not weekend warrior drills. Their market is guides and money fisherman who will drill lots of big holes everyday through real thick ice. Also made for guys that drive Humvees and hunt deer with a .300 Mag. They're spendy, the 9.5" IceGator is about $700 and the 10"/ 35cc Nils runs about $850 though my local guy has a couple he'd sell at $800.
  IceGator has a rep for spotty customer service. Three years ago I was also piling on with some scathing comments concerning switch burnout and not being able to get it replaced. However, it wasn't long before they sent me the re-designed switch cassette at no charge and end of problem. Since then it's all been roses. Please understand that they're a very small operation. Greg Pepple designs and builds these things. His wife does the books. They're decent folks who get pinched between customer and vendor sometimes and maybe don't handle every problem like a big corporation would. If you've got a beef about their products and service, now's your chance. If you like their stuff, as I do, let's hear that story too.
Stinky

Could not have said it better. Honestly can say that I never had a problem with mine. You rarely see them on the ice because they are not mass produced in china like the other units. There truly is no comparison with the Icegator. They will out perform any other unit on the ice. But like anything else that is sold on the open market... You can get a bad one now and then. Some guys like smart cars, some guys like Corvettes. All I can say is between Ion or Icegator, there is no comparison. Watch the video for yourself. No smoke or mirrors here folks just facts...

http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:29 AM »
I bought a nils ice auger cut a couple holes and it just did not cut right sent it back and bought a another one it was just as bad I would not recommend them to any one a waist of money to replace blades are 80 bucks you can buy a cheaper auger that will out perform that for half the price I wih I had better o say about it but burned twice not a fluke I bought a ion ice auger hoping it will live up to its name
There is NO WAY are you going to find a auger to outperform a Nils at half the price...if you don't like Nils ...fine...but saying things like that just makes your argument sound silly. I would say that they are either the top #1 or #2 auger out there. And I would think most others would say the same.
Duane

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:06 AM »
Quote from: stag
There is NO WAY are you going to find a auger to outperform a Nils at half the price...if you don't like Nils ...fine...but saying things like that just makes your argument sound silly. I would say that they are either the top #1 or #2 auger out there. And I would think most others would say the same.
Amen! I find it hard to believe they got  two bad Nils in a row. ??? ??? Best hand auger I've ever used.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:12 AM »

Having used a Nils and Fin-Bore III side by side I can say you can find an auger thats on par with a Nils for 40-50$ less. Factor in the price of a spare head (~$65) and sharpening for a Nils (~$40) and the Fin-Bore is an easy choice.

Most Nils owners have never tried a Fin-Bore III. They go from something like a Mora to a Nils and say there is nothing better..

As for the topic regarding IceGator, i have no doubts they have a good product. But when i was in the market for an auger a couple years back I made multiple calls to them and never heard back. After reading alot of the negative reviews here I was turned off. It sounds like they have since turned things around, which is great.  I now own a Drill auger which suits my needs (about 80 holes thru 18" of ice) and weighs about 10lbs. If you move alot like I do, weight is a big deal.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:29 AM »
I wish i could find somebody to make me a fair offer on my Ion so I can upgrade to the new 9.5" Gator! Maybe someday! Lol. Or I will just buy it, and sleep in the garage for a few weeks!!!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:53 AM »
 tiptop,  sorry to hear of your bad luck x2. It would be a rare occasion to get one new Nils that doesn't work.

If you ever tried a Fin Bore II you wouldn't like the Fin Bore III :)
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Is it just me, or are they an ABUNDANCE of these Ice Gator threads going on lately? And as soon as one goes negative, another one pops up? I guess that I don't find the need to start a forum post in order to support my decision. I do my research ahead of time, make the purchase and then go on with life........... Or maybe it is just early in the morning and I'm being grumpy.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:06 PM »
I've got an Icegator/nils8" combo and love it.  Only problem I've ever had was an electrode fell out of place.  A Phillips screwdriver and 2 minutes and it was going again.  Not rocket science to fix.  I also have a Tanaka with 8" nils and a Jiffy pro 8".  That said the Jiffy is a garage decoration.  It served me good, but the gator goes with in the shack every time and the tanaka goes hole hoping.  I have personally drilled over 100 holes through 30" of ice on one charge with the gator.  Would not hesitate to buy another one.  Mike at Pheasent Country (a Gator dealer) in Redfield, SD has most of any parts on hand that you would need to service an Icegator.
I have the original gator that crapped out. was told by gator that im crap out of luck the unit and parts are no longer available. So does this Mike at Pheasnt country have parts for the original gators? and what is his phone number? And I also, who promoted icegator would never buy another.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Icegator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:15 AM »
If you are referring to the old eight year model Attacker II then you are correct, no parts are available, Mike will not have any either.  Unfortunately for you earlier guys that bought Icegators things had to change, I had to many problems with the drives so I had to go with a different motor,switch,battery and drive system. The problems I had and changes that had to be made is what has made the Attacker II 24 volt lead acid drive and the 42 volt Annihilator what it is today, Simply the Best! no other electric in the world can compete with the 24 volt lead acid in holes per charge or speed or price! and what people are about to find out is no gas can compete with the 42 volt 9.5 auger." its at the top of the food chain" I understand your frustrations when you buy something and cant get parts. I bought a printer just over two years ago and it just now took a crap on me, was just over the extended warrantee lol! to bad for me, even if I wanted to go to that same printer it wasn't available.  I wish I could give you and everyone else that is in your situation a new drive, but I cant I'm just a small company, but then again what company would.  thing is most of the people in your situation bought another Icegator at a discounted price, because ounce they had one they never want to use anything else. That kind of makes me feel better about my first design that you have and my mistakes.
Icegator Product Support

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:50 AM »
If you are referring to the old eight year model Attacker II then you are correct, no parts are available, Mike will not have any either.  Unfortunately for you earlier guys that bought Icegators things had to change, I had to many problems with the drives so I had to go with a different motor,switch,battery and drive system. The problems I had and changes that had to be made is what has made the Attacker II 24 volt lead acid drive and the 42 volt Annihilator what it is today, Simply the Best! no other electric in the world can compete with the 24 volt lead acid in holes per charge or speed or price! and what people are about to find out is no gas can compete with the 42 volt 9.5 auger." its at the top of the food chain" I understand your frustrations when you buy something and cant get parts. I bought a printer just over two years ago and it just now took a crap on me, was just over the extended warrantee lol! to bad for me, even if I wanted to go to that same printer it wasn't available.  I wish I could give you and everyone else that is in your situation a new drive, but I cant I'm just a small company, but then again what company would.  thing is most of the people in your situation bought another Icegator at a discounted price, because ounce they had one they never want to use anything else. That kind of makes me feel better about my first design that you have and my mistakes.

Im not sure anything you said above instills any confidence in your product. First you openly admit the issues were directly related to the components used in the product. Nothing done by the customer could prevent the eventual failure. And not only do you not support it, but you dont offer any parts, willingness to fix it, or compensation. And no, a discount on a newer model is not a solution..Sorry sir, but any company that did what you did would end up in a class action lawsuit, and lose...

Then you compare a $100 printer that most likely sees daily use 365 days a year to YOUR 600+$ auger that only sees use a few months of the year. If it were a vehicle it would be a Lemon, and you'd be required to pay them back in full or replace it.

U then state that "most people who bought the defective unit purchased a newer model". Im sure most did, those who didnt are bad mouthing your company. And as any marketer knows, there is no stronger marketing tool than word of mouth. The sales you lost due to not standing behind your defective product will far outweigh replacing the defective products...

I understand you are a small operation. But people expect companies to stand behind their product, regardless of size. You didn't do that. In fact, you asked them to buy another one.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Wow. Get over it! The guy admitted he had issues with starting up his company... And he resolved them! And he's here being honest... He's not blowing smoke! If he did this all on purpose, he wouldn't be here defending himself right now! I don't even own one, bit I will add soon as I can afford it! I spent 600$ on a Ion, and the battery doesn't like the cold! Are they resolving the issue... No! They add reverse, that's it! You take a chance with a new product, it could pay off. Or may not! That's your gamble! All negative  comments made now were with old models, either buy the new one and own the best machine on earth, or go to a different page and talk about how sub par your new auger is! I can't wait to buy one! And If something goes wrong it's under warranty, and if the warranty is up! I'll buy another one! It's fishing, every year stuff gets out dated and you but something better! Get over it! I'll buy your old unit! How much you want???

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:00 AM »
And for the record I disagree... The new I've 9.5 speaks for itself. If people don't wanna rip through ice like Hulk Hogan through his t-shirts, then they don't need to buy one! You find an auger that outperforms the new Gator and I will buy that too! The past is the past! Get over it! You sound like my 6 year old son! Lol

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:07 AM »
All negative  comments made now were with old models, either buy the new one and own the best machine on earth

Here in lies the problem. With the history of issues and support with the old unit, why would anyone risk buying the new one. Knowing there will be little support and high probability of issues?

And for the record I disagree... The new I've 9.5 speaks for itself. If people don't wanna rip through ice like Hulk Hogan through his t-shirts, then they don't need to buy one! You find an auger that outperforms the new Gator and I will buy that too!

Thats the thing, people generally dont care about how fast u can drill a hole. Just that is does in fact drill a hole and the company will stand behind their product.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:14 AM »
loving my strikemaster lithium, 0 problems all season last year, even at -25

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Wow. Get over it! The guy admitted he had issues with starting up his company... And he resolved them!

No, he did NOT resolve them.  He merely switched parts for newer models and those that bought one of the early models were left hung out to dry, their only recourse being to "buy another".  Thats not resolution, thats having it stuck up yer you know what.

I'll bet the good money paid for the early defective clunks spent just as easily (by the seller) as the money spent for the newer models.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:32 PM »
I'm in the same boat (or shanty) as BaitBucket.  I was seriously leaning towards the Attacker II a few years back, but decided to go an alternative route.  Living in southern MI we rarely see 18" inches of ice, so I picked up an ION 8" at a great price.  Would have loved to give the smaller company by business, but what a poor excuse for customer service.  As a business man myself, this guy sounds quite shady.  I would NEVER recommend this product to a fellow fisherman.  The negatives FAR outweigh the positive of speed.  Cant believe he hasn't had his pants sued off him...   
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:30 PM »

Really, you compare the purchase of a printer to an ice auger?

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Wow. Get over it! The guy admitted he had issues with starting up his company... And he resolved them! And he's here being honest... He's not blowing smoke! If he did this all on purpose, he wouldn't be here defending himself right now! I don't even own one, bit I will add soon as I can afford it! I spent 600$ on a Ion, and the battery doesn't like the cold! Are they resolving the issue... No! They add reverse, that's it! You take a chance with a new product, it could pay off. Or may not! That's your gamble! All negative  comments made now were with old models, either buy the new one and own the best machine on earth, or go to a different page and talk about how sub par your new auger is! I can't wait to buy one! And If something goes wrong it's under warranty, and if the warranty is up! I'll buy another one! It's fishing, every year stuff gets out dated and you but something better! Get over it! I'll buy your old unit! How much you want???

We don't want anything... But I get sick of getting ice gator propaganda weekly on the posts. Do I have a choice to not read them? Sure.  But isn't there a vendor forum somewhere so that we can get back to talking about fishing?

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:02 PM »
loving my strikemaster lithium, 0 problems all season last year, even at -25

Was yours involved in the recall last year? I was wondering how they were working!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:09 PM »

Was yours involved in the recall last year? I was wondering how they were working!

Atleast they did a recall and fixed the issue. Didnt just tell you to buy another one..

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Bait bucket I was asking another member how he likes the lithium laser! It didn't have anything to do with you, or  ice gator.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.