Author Topic: Widow Maker Rod  (Read 4789 times)

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Widow Maker Rod
« on: Oct 09, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Ice is right around the corner, so pumped! Picked up a few of the new 13 Fishing Widow Maker ice rods today. Had seen the specs and was anxious to pick a few up. Have to be honest, these things look like they are going to blow away expectations. Extremely sensitive tip, and the backbone is awesome for such a sensitive rod (I went with the 27" UL's, all I do is bluegill and crappie fish). This should be a perfect rod for both shallow and deep water hooksets with the impressive backbone. Also love the bright orange tip on the 27 ULs, very easy to see.

This is the most excited I've ever been to try an ice fishing rod, now just need hard water! Anyone else pick one of these up?

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Widow Maker Rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Quick update! I was able to find this video on the rods after posting, for more info:

I also had a chance to play around with these rods for a while this morning. These are definitely the highest quality rod you can buy at retail. The components are just better (IMO) when looking at them next to customs I've fished previously, and the rod has a much better load / backbone. They are also much cheaper than customs, so its easier on the pocket book for what appears to be a better rod. I guess that's the advantage of 13 Fishing being able to sell at retail though, so makes sense.

I'm most excited about the diamond coated line guides they used on these rods. I hole hop a lot, and I can’t stand when guides freeze. The diamond coating actually sheds / repels water which is perfect, and will result in much less line guide freezing. Critical for me when it comes to ice rods. If I have time later, I’ll post some pictures of the rod.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2015, 04:19 PM »
They are an Ok rod. Im not a fan of them being made from graphite and not carbon. The "diamond" coated guides seem pretty overkill for an ice rod. Shedding water doesnt make a difference in the winter when it all freezes anyway. For the same price you could build your own rod on a carbon blank with recoil guides.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Not trying to start an argument, and I honestly do enjoy reading your posts, just my take. Calling them "OK" feels like a pre-determined assessment before you've given them the light of day, or held them? I've fished a ton of rods over the years - different brands, price points, customs, etc. and this the best rod I've ever held in my hand.

Also, carbon fiber and graphite are essentially the same thing (marketing departments may lead you to believe otherwise). However, toray graphite transmits vibrations which leads to a much more sensitive rod. Especially when it's a solid blank, like the Widow Maker's have. A full graphite blank is also more expensive for these same reasons. For this blank and components, the price point is great.

I also disagree with the guide point of few, it could be a fishing style thing though. From my experience (and physics), water doesn't freeze right when it comes out of the hole. I fished 10+ different rods last ice season. Some were awful with freezing, some much better. The guides absolutely make a difference. If water sheds, it won't freeze on the guides.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Not trying to start an argument, and I honestly do enjoy reading your posts, just my take. Calling them "OK" feels like a pre-determined assessment before you've given them the light of day, or held them?

I have as much experience with them as you. Handled them in a store and found them to be overpriced for what you are getting.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Then we agree to disagree, such is life in fishing equipment!

I'm simply comparing them to much more expensive customs I have and have fished, and then lower price point rods. I've already sold the customs and these will be my go-to this year, much better rod and much easier on the bank.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Good deal man, hope they work out well.

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2015, 06:23 PM »
 They call the rod the "Widow Maker"  because once you get home and your wife finds out what you paid....it's curtains for you!!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Quick update! I was able to find this video on the rods after posting, for more info:

I also had a chance to play around with these rods for a while this morning. These are definitely the highest quality rod you can buy at retail. The components are just better (IMO) when looking at them next to customs I've fished previously, and the rod has a much better load / backbone. They are also much cheaper than customs, so its easier on the pocket book for what appears to be a better rod. I guess that's the advantage of 13 Fishing being able to sell at retail though, so makes sense.

I'm most excited about the diamond coated line guides they used on these rods. I hole hop a lot, and I can’t stand when guides freeze. The diamond coating actually sheds / repels water which is perfect, and will result in much less line guide freezing. Critical for me when it comes to ice rods. If I have time later, I’ll post some pictures of the rod.
which custom rods have you fished with?

Offline theflatlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2015, 09:01 PM »
I think I would still look at custom options for that price point.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2015, 09:11 PM »
evobassfish - I've used TUCR's the most in the past. Have also used DH customs and Thorne Bros quite a bit. To be clear, my comments aren't a knock on those rods, they are all good.

But, after fishing the Tickle Stick last year, I caught more fish on that rod than anything else I owned (I only fish bluegills and crappies so lite bites are very common for me). I saw the advantage of the flat tip and the sensitivity to feel bites, but also how easy it was to catch fish after seeing them move in on the flasher and then watch the tip for the 'negative' bite. Once I got the hang of it, I felt at a disadvantage when I wasn't using my Tickle Stick - just my preference and personal on ice experience. So, when I originally saw the Widow Makers come out I was very intrigued. Same flat tip, easier to see for me personally (orange vs. yellow tip), and the components, backbone, tip sensitivity are even better after comparing them. This gives me great confidence these will excel big time. Plus, cheaper than my TUCR's so I almost came out even after selling them and I'll have confidence in every rod I pull out of my case this winter...

It takes time, but I'm a firm believer in the flat tip they have on these rods after using the Tickle Stick last year. There are some great videos on YouTube I saw that helped me with this, that really show the negative bite on these rods (I'm sure I could locate them if you'd like) and how much it helps see the absolute lightest of bites.

Offline Me4labonte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Wiel wanna sell me your tickle stix? I am interested in trying these out.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2015, 09:32 PM »
Me4labonte - I would, but I'm keeping that rod as my only hangover from last year. I'm confident enough in that thing to keep it in the box because it performed so well.

I actually just picked up another one in a L action for when I jig light spoons (1/16 oz and 1/32 oz). One thing I really like on the new ones for 2015 is they have bigger eyelets than last years, should only improve the performance and lead to even less guide freeze up. I'd highly recommend that rod from a full year of use, the model I used was a 27" UL for panfish.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Which TUCR did you use for panfish?

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Hey evobassfish - I used the bullwhip and the quick tip, also used the precision noddle a little but I'm not a fan of a full noodle rod personally.

But, as I said, by late ice this past year I was grabbing my Tickle Stick first because I had more confidence in that rod than any others. For late-ice crappies, I was missing far less bites with this rod with the combination of feel / sight bite when working with my flasher. I also really like the backbone on these rods (same with the Widow Maker which is even better), it seemed like I lost a lot less fish at / right under the hole due to more solid hooksets.

This is the video that really helped me last year. This guy does a great job with camera angle to show how easy it is to see the negative bites, but he also 'feels' a ton of bites as well. This is why the flat tip excels IMO. -

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:06 PM »
Watched a couple videos, then looked at the price.......are you kidding me at that price you may as well order an American made custom rod, and not a Chinese mass produced that they will change every year to keep people buying them. Seriously diamond coated guides how do you guys even buy into this marketing bs.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2015, 06:29 PM »
They call the rod the "Widow Maker"  because once you get home and your wife finds out what you paid....it's curtains for you!!

LOL made my night :)
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Some guys like women with a big (___!___) others like women with a small (!). Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder or beerholder. That's why we have so many choices in fishing rods. Celebrate the fact that we have so many choices. Don't disparage those who have different tastes.

Agree that most sporting goods in hunting and fishing are always over hyped. Personally the one Madison Avenue phrase I am starting to abhor is " game changer". Very few items ever really fit this description in any field. To me an invention that sends shock waves thru the world. For instance the first micro processor or the invention of the steam engine.These things were truly game changers.

Anyway the opinions of most posters on here . Are of more value to me that any advertisement or glitzy catch phrase. That is why I enjoy reading on this site.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Looks like we have a sales troll....
http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic/176899-13-fishing-widow-maker/

If you want to sell your product, why not just become a site sponsor?

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:07 AM »
Haha!! Sales troll! He sure knows all the points and buzz words to hit.. diamond guides, graphite over carbon...
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:28 AM »
   Same spiel on lake-link forums.     He should of just changed his user name.  Google his user Id its all over
                   "Just picked a few of these up today in 27" UL. Ran home and slapped a new 6061 on them to see what I thought (not many reviews out yet but took the plunge based on prior success with 13 Rods). All I can say is, wow, am I ready for hard water now! These things are extremely light, and balance very well with the 6061's I threw on them. I was also surprised by how much backbone it had for a UL too, this should be very good for pulling fish out of deep water. Personally I can't afford to spend the money on a bunch of custom rods, but I have no doubt these things are going to be on-par with them as 13 promised.

More to come when I get them out on the ice. Anyone else pick one up?"

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Hey Guys - Definitely me posting on all the forums, have been a long time reader of all 4 haven't posted in the past except for Lake-Link and I see different posters on most of the sites - so figured I'd see a bigger response cross posting. As much as I would like to be a Sales Guy for any fishing company, I'm unfortunately not and bought these from Cabela's last week with my hard earned money. I work a desk job creating back-end systems for apparel websites (not as fun as fishing every day - maybe someday). Was simply seeing if others had purchased these rods and what they thought of them, I'll avoid cross-posting in the future, didn't know it was frowned upon.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2015, 12:03 AM »
I work at GM, and have been unpacking the new arrivals, and setting up displays.  For me, I wasn't impressed at all.  Like the saying "Its not the size, or color of your worm ", "Its how you wiggle it" :P And then come the price ?  And I say.....Really ???
Bud

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2015, 12:06 AM »
How much new stuff has Gander gotten in?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2015, 02:28 AM »
Sometimes some people are just really excited about a certain product.

I mean I'm crazy shimano reel fan...not every single reel, but imma fan...LOL.

Also a St. Croix rod fan...full size rods...LOL.

13 Fishing do have some impressive products.  I'm not into all the bling blings, but they are eye catchers gear.

Nothing wrong posting across forums.  Hey I do it too.  Its all information sharing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2015, 02:58 AM »
They don't call it a Widow Maker for nothin'. Buy one at those prices and your Bride will make the name come true.  ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2015, 12:12 PM »
They don't call it a Widow Maker for nothin'. Buy one at those prices and your Bride will make the name come true.  ;D

Rg

LOL, they knew exactly why they call it.  Couldn't call it the ice mistress...LMBO.  ;D
How many ice fishermen has one seen with fishing pole between legs? 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.