Author Topic: Cabelas..Again...  (Read 1213 times)

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Cabelas..Again...
« on: Oct 01, 2015, 08:25 AM »
I had a previous issue with cableas regarding a pair of Cabela brand boots i purchased due to their "Lifetime Guarantee" which evidently is not a lifetime guarantee.

I decided to give them another try as the new store opened up in our area. 2 weeks ago I purchased a new Humminird FF/GPS. Yesterday i notice its on sale for 90$ off. I contact Cabelas to see if they will do a price match. Im told that price matches are only offered in the first 7 days.. However, they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and if your not satisfied with your purchase you can return it for a full refund within 30days of purchase.

When i asked, "couldn't i just return the one i got and buy a new one for the sale price?", i was told that was an option. But a price match is not..W.T.F??? So i have to pull this thing off my boat, box it all back up, return it, and buy the same exact model at the sale price to save the 90$.

This has got to be the most backwards way of doing business I can think of. If im forced to do all the above to get the sale price, ill just return it and take my business to BassPro.. They lose 500$ instead of refunding me 90$..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cabelas..Again...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2015, 06:08 PM »
It sounds crazy that they are making you go through all that but to be honest I am surprised they will do anything with electronics.....It seems like every week new models are coming out and they drop the prices on the current ones...Most of the time with electronics you have to go to the manufacturer for warranty work or any of that...

I have had great luck with Cabelas....I bought a set of Merrill boots there and complained on my review that they weren't even close to being waterproof as advertised and they Emailed me and asked if I wanted to return them for credit..They were over a year old and I really didn't expect them to do anything....I'll take Cabelas over BPS any day...BPS is quickly becoming the Walmart of sporting goods...

rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I had great experience with Sportsmans Guide a few years back i got an underwater camera. It had a one year warranty. Just over a year later somehow the casing let water in the camera part and it fried. I emailed them and they told me no worries to mail it back and they will send me another. Not only did i get a new one, but it happened to be on sale....Not only did i get a new one after the one year warranty expired but i also got a cash check for $45 for the difference of the sale. Not even a store credit a legit check for $45.

stripernut

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Now that is good customer service!

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I had great experience with Sportsmans Guide a few years back i got an underwater camera. It had a one year warranty. Just over a year later somehow the casing let water in the camera part and it fried. I emailed them and they told me no worries to mail it back and they will send me another. Not only did i get a new one, but it happened to be on sale....Not only did i get a new one after the one year warranty expired but i also got a cash check for $45 for the difference of the sale. Not even a store credit a legit check for $45.

I have been a member of SG for three years or more ... bought a lot of stuff from them... just the numerous times they offer free shipping throughout the year is great . Prices are very competitive and larger big ticket items are sometimes a steal. I haven't needed to use their customer service ...but glad they go above and beyond .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Agreed,,,SG has been awesome. Had a pair of waders I bought from them that ended up having issues with seam tape coming off on the booties. They replaced them with no receipt (lost it)...no questions asked.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2017, 03:53 PM »
And yes, prices are pretty competitive...
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I don't know what the situation was with your boots BaitBucket so this is not aimed at you.

My opinion is that this "Lifetime Guarantee" is heavily abused. If you read the whole thing it specifically mentions defects and "normal wear and tear". To me that means a pair of boots or anything else cannot be expected to last forever and considering that there should be some sort of limitation (let's use common sense).

I had a pair of Cabelas boots and into the third year of relatively light use the soles separated from the rest. Not a little, they were flapping half off. Did I get all grumpy and indignantly try to return them for a new pair? Nope. On the last couple of outings my feet got really cold and I held 'em right up to the propane heater to try to warm up. I did not consider my abuse to be a disappointing warranty issue, only my stupidity.

Worked at a mom n pop tackle store for several years. We had a guy come in, purchase a rod, go out to his car and promptly break it by slamming the door on it. He turned around and wanted a warranty claim. C'mon man....

Does that mean there are never any legitimate warranty claims? Absolutely not. I once bought a pair of Quantum musky rods; one for me and one for my Dad. He caught a 40" musky the first day he used it. On the third day I set the hook on a 27" pike and my rod exploded into three pieces. That rod went right back and justifiably so.

Again, no indictment of anyone here in particular. Just my observation(s) over time and my opinion on "lifetime" and "warranty".

As far as you issue with the locator: I bought an Otter cabin to go with the sled I purchased the previous year. Because I bought it at season end the price dropped in another couple of weeks. I went into the store (happened to be a Gander) and asked if they would make a price adjustment. I got the same story you did. Bring in the original one on a return and buy another for the lower price. I asked for a manager, explained the situation and offered to keep the original one with an adjustment to reduce their paperwork on the return. He happily walked me to the register and made the refund. Sometimes you've got to go up a level (or two) and help them understand it's in their best interest as well.
Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08:49 AM »
I had bought a Traditions inline from Bass Pro that was supposed to have 150yd accuracy. Well, 57 shots @ 50yds and 1 hole in the bullseye using multiple projectiles and powder charges, I think the 1 bullseye was with open sights and the rest were all over the place. I talked to three other people that had them and they were having the same problem, I had even bought another scope thinking the scope I had on it may be bad before I ran into the other guys that had them.
Figured heck to this, took it back to Bass pro and they refunded my money since I had paid cash for it, that return came under their "satisfaction guaranteed" and I sure as heck wasn't satisfied! I think I had the gun 2 seasons, and did manage to get a deer with it at about 30 yds, but after seeing what other brands of inlines could group like, and finding out that others were having the same accuracy problem, I figured that there was something not right with these particular inlines.
Replaced it with a TC Omega and could put shot after shot in the bullseye at 50yds. and also at 100, huge difference in accuracy and am glad I got rid of the Traditions and that Bass Pro honored their "satisfaction guaranteed" policy.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.