Author Topic: Newbie at jigging!!!! pike?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Newbie at jigging!!!! pike?
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Hello, Ive been ice fishing for about 7-8 years, and I am only 15, so Ive grown up with it. Ive grown up using the tip-ups that my great-grandfather built, but recently I have gotten new ones. Anyways, Ive never jigged before. I would love to try jiggin. Ive seen many shows in it. Ive got a few questions
-For Perch, is it worth jiggin for perch without electronics. I dont have any. Should I look into them?
-I would love to jig for pike. Nothing like bringing in a pike on rod and reel. I need ALL information on what to do, use, how, where, when.... ANYTHING WILL HELP when jigging. I know all the basics for tip-ups, but know nearly nothing about jigging

Thanks guys.
Busler15 8)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newbie at jigging!!!! pike?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:40 PM »
FORGOT! Ive got a jigging pole, It seems pretty stiff, like its for walleyes or pike.
Its a HT Ice Blues 24" Medium with a MC-II spin-cast looking reel. Ive got normal ice fishing line on here that I would use for a tipup. Ive got glow in the dark beads on it.

Most of you probably just cringed. Well, How would you guys use this.

Thanks, Spencer

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newbie at jigging!!!! pike?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:03 PM »
you definitely dont need electroincs to catch perch but the do help you catch more. I have caught plenty without them . for perch i would use a jig tipped either with a fathead, spikes or waxies . I would purchase a ultralight rod combo for perch / gills with 2-4 lb test mono . The rod you have will work great for pike . A Swedish pimple or any kind of spoon or some jigs with plastics will work just try different things and tip your lure with a piece of good sized minnow or a live minnow . as for the line for pike I would personal go with braided line with no wire leader but thats up to you . hope this helps .
Sax

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.