Author Topic: Ice shanty thieves got off free and clear....  (Read 2639 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shanty thieves got off free and clear....
« on: Jul 29, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Maybe some of you recall that I had my ice fishing shanty broken into in early February.  I had over $500 worth the gear stolen.  I offered a huge reward and with the help of some Baraga County Law Enforcement Officers, I caught the culprits fishing with my stuff.  They were both arrested.  I was just informed that the cases were adjudicated in the Baraga County District Court.  Both thieves got off without fine or jail time.  I guess the Prosecutor is to blame for that.  Most of my stuff was returned to me, although some of it (lures and other miscellaneous stuff) was not recovered. I was never once contacted by the Prosecutor's office and asked my opinion of what I would like to see happen.  I'm told by several L.E. Officers in the County that the Prosecutor is a lazy, uncaring, non compassionate person when it comes to victims of crimes.  My case is not the worst thing to happen in that County, but I sure the  hell expected more from the Prosecutor's office.  Of course, this sends no message to the punks who did this, nor to anyone else thinking about doing it.  So, hopefully, next year, none of us are victims of the same sort of theft.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Ice shanty thieves got off free and clear....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2015, 01:11 AM »
Sorry to read your post I guess as other members have posted over the years it is best to remove anything of value and bring
 home with you and not leave it in your shanty out on the ice. I agree letting the people who robbed your shanty walk away free and clear sends the wrong message to them and other like minded folks. Also a slap in the face to law enforcement officers who worked on the case.
Steve

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2015, 09:51 AM »
I remember when you posted about it. Sucks that they caught the punks and then let them go. I hope you know what the punks look like so you can keep an eye out for them. Maybe an editorial in your newspapers about the lazy prosecutor might make you feel a bit better too... the wonderful "justice for criminals" system. It's the same all over. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of do-nothing bureaucrats, watch out for your own stuff and never leave anything out to get robbed. Wasn't your shanty trashed too or was that another unfortunate iceman that got his shanty trashed by punks?

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Sorry to read your post I guess as other members have posted over the years it is best to remove anything of value and bring
 home with you and not leave it in your shanty out on the ice. I agree letting the people who robbed your shanty walk away free and clear sends the wrong message to them and other like minded folks. Also a slap in the face to law enforcement officers who worked on the case.
Steve

Normally, I would never leave anything valuable in my shanty.  Two days before, I was on the ice fishing when I got hit with a stomach virus.  Came on just like that.  I was too sick to pack everything up and haul it off the ice.  I just headed for home.  Came back two days later and found my stuff gone.  Bad timing.  I really was sick though, wow!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2015, 05:09 PM »
I'd make sure everyone knows about this when it's time for him to be re-elected.

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2015, 06:48 PM »
I'd make sure everyone knows about this when it's time for him to be re-elected.

Yeah, that!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM »
That stinks. >:( If it was me, I'd beat em over the head with my hand crank!
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM »
I never leave anything on the ice! Not even trash! I take it all back and forth. Extra work, yes! But I can say, I sleep very well!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Call his office and request an appointment.  Be civil with his staff and with him if he agrees to meet with you.  However, get your point across to him that this is unacceptable to you and likely most all fisherman (notwithstanding the thieving "fisherman").  If we won't agree to a meeting, maybe a letter to the editor in the local paper will give you some sense of "justice".

I couldn't imagine my shack and contents being stolen.  I bet I'd be out nearly $2,000 in shack, Marcum, jigs, rods, reels, heater, etc.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2015, 02:44 PM »
I couldn't imagine my shack and contents being stolen.  I bet I'd be out nearly $2,000 in shack, Marcum, jigs, rods, reels, heater, etc.

Now all the thieves know what to look for in your shack..      :-\   :-\ 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:30 PM »
does not surprise me for the area
stuff disappears at the state park all the time and nothing is done about it
even wen they are caught red handed

SnoHam13

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I'm with the take its all home crew. Wish I could trust more people and just be able to drive out to my shack and start fishing with everything already there but just cant risk it. Sorry to here that happened to you.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:48 PM »
thats a real shame! he shouldn't have his job.

set traps inside of it since the DA doesn't care what goes on outside of his/her life.  i'd set them and keep my things with me.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2015, 08:16 AM »
I'm with the take its all home crew. Wish I could trust more people and just be able to drive out to my shack and start fishing with everything already there but just cant risk it. Sorry to here that happened to you.

+1

my line in the ice was finding a frozen pile on the spearing hole because of a lazy fisherman not wanting to use the out house on shore. >:(

after that portable all the way.
with a smitty sled for sure. ;D

SnoHam13

Offline walley250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2015, 10:05 AM »
How about public shaming?  If they are adults the names and case information should be open to the public.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2015, 10:14 AM »
As mentioned earlier..set up a meeting with the prosecutor. Stay civil and be firm.
My other suggestion is to file a civil action against them. This may be difficult to win, unless you can prove loss. Proving they did it will be covered by the arrest paperwork. And you will not need a lawyer for civil court. You will have court fees, that should be covered if you win. I hope you can get a little justice. People need to learn that there are consequences for their actions. Even if you just go after them for a few hundred dollars. It make them HAVE to be responsible. I hate it when stuff like this happens.
Good luck on the ice this season.
It is what it is....

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Getting away with stealing sucks,but you must have felt pretty good when you caught them. I know it would have made my day. Where the juveniles?

Offline pikeinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2015, 08:16 PM »
FWIW,  they both have arrest records.  If they get caught doing something again it could be used against them.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2015, 09:49 PM »
in this case, the justice dept. really is "just us"!

seemingly common place any more. if they can't make money from their efforts, theirs is no justice.
also, defendants have more rights than the victims they created.

but by god you better have your seat belt on or else, 150$ instant cash for them. seems bassackwards to me.

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:23 AM »
You will have your say at election time, I hope that you take advantage of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.