Author Topic: 70s Jiffy 30  (Read 1161 times)

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
70s Jiffy 30
« on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I was just given a couple old Jiffy 30s with the hope that I could get 1 working machine out of it.  Thank you to the member here who parted with them!

Last night I got a chance to start fooling with them and started on one.  It turned over.  I squirted some oil into the cylinder and let it soak in around the piston rings.  It turned over much easier.  I checked the spark.  Nice and strong!

I decided to let it sit the night with the oil seeping around the rings and pick up some fresh gas and synthetic 2 stroke oil in the morning. 

Tonight I put the fresh mix in the tank, primed it, and turned it over.  I removed the plug and dribbled some fresh gas into the hole to help pull the fresh charge through the carb and into the back of the cylinder.  It fired right up and the new charge lubed the back of the piston.  It ran strong, but was idling a bit fast.  The auger blade was spinning.  I figure either there is dirt is keeping the needle attached to the float open, or the low speed needle pm is adjusted too far open.

To those of you familiar with these, what is more likely?  Which of the 2 adjustment screws is the low speed?

Thank you!
Matt

Offline scmuskies

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 70s Jiffy 30
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2015, 03:24 PM »
There's a picture in Jiffy's manual online of the idle screw (it's the one on the left) - page 4.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/ContentImages/Image/Jiffy30SeriesManual.pdf

I'd start with adjusting the idle speed - close it (low speed screw) gently, then open 1/4 turn & adjust up/down from there

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:02 AM »
Add some Seafoam to your gas mix, it'll help clean up the carb.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:46 AM »
I rebuilt the carb.  It was the simplest carb I've ever had apart.  I cleaned the fuel tank and picked up a new line last night.  I might as well TRY to keep gunk out of it.  I should have everything running today.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Sounds like you're having some luck.  You might check out the two handle conversion kits that are available for the older one armed bandits.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2015, 06:49 AM »
It's been running, but I think the bottom seal shrunk.  The clutch cup had oil and gas in it.  I called jiffy to see what the seal was made of to see if it will swell, but they didn't know.  I'll hit the lawn guys that had the carb kit this week if I get the chance.  I'm hoping I don't have to break open the engine.

I've been through everything but the ignition and internal engine components.  Everything has been in great shape and the spark was very strong.

Unfortunately jiffy sold out of the conversion kits a couple years ago.  I will probably fabricate something though. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.